Old April 25th 07, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,soc.men

Default Does Anyone Know When The New Ubdersea Tunnel Will Be Completed?

I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet facilities
and other accomodations will be of the same high standards we've come to
expect on the London underground.

Old April 25th 07, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,soc.men
MCP MCP is offline

"Avenger" wrote in message
I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet
facilities and other accomodations will be of the same high standards
we've come to expect on the London underground.

lol! i think you have been watching tooooooo mucho Doctor Who.

Old April 25th 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:14:13 GMT, Avenger
wrote in 9dDXh.10252$Fs6.8303@trnddc03:
I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet facilities
and other accomodations will be of the same high standards we've come to
expect on the London underground.

You can buy the design study he

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transatlanti.../dp/0575071346

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old April 25th 07, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,soc.men

"Avenger" wrote in message
I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet
facilities and other accomodations will be of the same high standards
we've come to expect on the London underground.

The Discovery Channel had a programme about the Transatlantic Tunnel. In
the last week, we've seen another previous fictional rail tunnel unearth
itself (Berring Strait tunnel). Perhaps, the Transatlantic Tunnel is
next...

Old April 26th 07, 06:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,soc.men

Toby wrote:
"Avenger" wrote in message
I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet
facilities and other accomodations will be of the same high standards
we've come to expect on the London underground.

The Discovery Channel had a programme about the Transatlantic Tunnel. In
the last week, we've seen another previous fictional rail tunnel unearth
itself (Bering Strait tunnel). Perhaps, the Transatlantic Tunnel is
next...

You cannot build tunnels across continental plates.

A Bering Strait bridge is the answer; one
platter can rest upon rollers with each end on
different continents. It would still require
good maintenance and the platter would have to
be replaced regularly but it is not impossible.

D.

=======================
Women have spent the last
30 years proving that men
have been right for the
last 30 centuries.
=======================
Old April 26th 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,soc.men

On 25 Apr, 08:14, "Avenger" wrote:
I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet facilities
and other accomodations will be of the same high standards we've come to
expect on the London underground.

There was a marvellous 1972 SF novel called "A Transatlantic Tunnel
Hurrah!" by Harry Harrison, (an Anglophile American) in which he
depicts a kind of parallel-universe situation where the British Empire
still exists and contains the American colonies. Captain Augustine
Washington and Sir Isambard Brassey-Brunel (descendant of Isambard
Kingdom Brunel) get together to link the heart of the British Empire
with its far-flung Atlantic colony in North America. The tunnel is
like a 3,000 mile long series of upside-down Clifton Suspension
Bridges where the cables have te resist the bouyancy of the submerged
tube... Probably out of print long ago.

It was called "Tunnel through The Deeps" in the USA.

Old April 26th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:19:15PM +0000, Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:14:13 GMT, Avenger
I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet facilities
and other accomodations will be of the same high standards we've come to
expect on the London underground.

You can buy the design study he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transatlanti.../dp/0575071346

That has been my on-the-****ter reading material for the past couple of
weeks. It's jolly good fun.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

I don't do .INI, .BAT, or .SYS files. I don't assign apps to files.
I don't configure peripherals or networks before using them. I have
a computer to do all that. I have a Macintosh, not a hobby.
-- Fritz Anderson
Old April 27th 07, 01:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,soc.men

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Dustbin wrote:

Toby wrote:
"Avenger" wrote in message

I'm referring to the one connecting London to New York. I think it's a
great idea especially the non stop express trains. And the toilet
facilities and other accomodations will be of the same high standards
we've come to expect on the London underground.

The Discovery Channel had a programme about the Transatlantic Tunnel.
In the last week, we've seen another previous fictional rail tunnel
unearth itself (Bering Strait tunnel). Perhaps, the Transatlantic
Tunnel is next...

You cannot build tunnels across continental plates.

A Bering Strait bridge is the answer; one platter can rest upon rollers
with each end on different continents. It would still require good
maintenance and the platter would have to be replaced regularly but it
is not impossible.

How do you interface the track running across it at the ends, though?

tom

--
never mind your fingers, i've got blisters on my brain