Old April 25th 07, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Euston to Kings Cross Thameslink

What is the quickest route to get from Euston station to Kings Cross
Thameslink? I will be making the journey late evening so would rather not
want to walk down Euston Road, and a taxi isn't realistic for the short
journey. On the undergound, should I be at the front or rear of the train
in order to quickly alight for Kings Cross Thameslink? Hopefully, my Virgin
train will be on time/early, so I'm looking at about 15 mins for the
connection onto the FCC train to St Albans.

Old April 25th 07, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:36:56 +0100, "Toby" wrote:

What is the quickest route to get from Euston station to Kings Cross
Thameslink? I will be making the journey late evening so would rather not
want to walk down Euston Road, and a taxi isn't realistic for the short
journey. On the undergound, should I be at the front or rear of the train
in order to quickly alight for Kings Cross Thameslink? Hopefully, my Virgin
train will be on time/early, so I'm looking at about 15 mins for the
connection onto the FCC train to St Albans.

I have to say that is a very tight connection time at any time of day.
Depending on how late it is then headways on the tube lines can become a
tad extended - even a 5 min wait might be enough to wreck your
connection.

If you take the Northern Line City Branch southbound then you want to be
at the front of the train to alight at Kings Cross.

If you take the Victoria Line northbound then you also want to be at the
front of the train to alight at Kings Cross beside the connecting steps
and corridor up to Thameslink.

Beware though that these platforms are the longest walk from the
gateline at Euston.

As both lines at Euston are beside one another you have the advantage of
being able to wait in the lobby area at the bottom of the final set of
escalators to platform level and just take whichever line comes first.
This will put you towards the back of the platform at KX though. You may
wish to quickly check the platform indicators and then select the best
platform to walk along. There are cross passages at intervals along the
platform so you should be walk to the front of the platforms and still
be able to make a dash if a train on the opposite platform arrives
first.

The other option but perhaps a tad more risky but without all the diving
underground is to just go straight out the front of Euston and take a
10, 30, 73, 390, 476, 91 or 205 bus from the bus station to Kings Cross
- the 30, 73, 205 and 476 stop additionally outside the Thameslink
station while the others are about a 2-3 min dash along Pentonville Road
from their stop to the station entrance. You will, of course, need to
buy a ticket from a roadside machine in the bus station unless you hold
a Travelcard or Oyster PAYG card. I accept your through train ticket
should give you the Tube automatically.

Bus stop locations here.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...uston-2087.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...cross-2150.pdf

HTH
--
Paul C

Old April 25th 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:44:28 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

The other option but perhaps a tad more risky but without all the diving
underground is to just go straight out the front of Euston and take a
10, 30, 73, 390, 476, 91 or 205 bus from the bus station to Kings Cross
- the 30, 73, 205 and 476 stop additionally outside the Thameslink
station while the others are about a 2-3 min dash along Pentonville Road
from their stop to the station entrance. You will, of course, need to
buy a ticket from a roadside machine in the bus station unless you hold
a Travelcard or Oyster PAYG card. I accept your through train ticket
should give you the Tube automatically.

Not really risky at all. I'd definitely take the bus option, though I
do use an Oyster card and 2 quid cash fare is a bit steep.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old April 25th 07, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[...]

I think you have the platforms the wrong way round. The cross platform
interchange at Euston is between NB Vic and NB Bank, and between SB Vic and
SB Bank. So the trains to Kings Cross leave from two seperate islands.

The OP should go for the NB Victoria as this is more frequent and gives a
shorter walk at the KX end.

Peter Smyth

Old April 26th 07, 05:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

The other option but perhaps a tad more risky but without all the diving
underground is to just go straight out the front of Euston and take a
10, 30, 73, 390, 476, 91 or 205 bus from the bus station to Kings Cross
- the 30, 73, 205 and 476 stop additionally outside the Thameslink
station while the others are about a 2-3 min dash along Pentonville Road
from their stop to the station entrance.

Whilst they *used* to stop directly opposite Kings Cross Thameslink, the
Eastbound bus stop has been relocated within the last six months or so
so it's now between Northdown Street and Killick Street, *after* the
King's Cross Road / Pentonville Road junction.

Cheers,

Barry

Old April 26th 07, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 25, 7:36 pm, "Toby" wrote:
What is the quickest route to get from Euston station to Kings Cross
Thameslink? I will be making the journey late evening so would rather not
want to walk down Euston Road,

What happens on the Euston Road in the late evening? It usually looks
fine to me, on my bike rushing for the 2315 out of KX. It's five
minutes by bike from Euston to Thameslink, by the way.
I take it Watford Jn-St Albans isn't an option at that time?

Old April 27th 07, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Apr, 13:31, TimB wrote:
On Apr 25, 7:36 pm, "Toby" wrote:

What is the quickest route to get from Euston station to Kings Cross
Thameslink? I will be making the journey late evening so would rather not
want to walk down Euston Road,

It's five
minutes by bike from Euston to Thameslink, by the way.
I take it Watford Jn-St Albans isn't an option at that time?

Probably not. Even if it was, NRE suggests 24 mins for the walk from
St Albans Abbey to St Albans City...

PaulO

Old April 28th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 27, 6:32�pm, Paul Oter wrote:
On 26 Apr, 13:31, TimB wrote:

On Apr 25, 7:36 pm, "Toby" wrote:

What is the quickest route to get from Euston station to Kings Cross
Thameslink? *I will be making the journey late evening so would rather not
want to walk down Euston Road,

*It's five
minutes by bike from Euston to Thameslink, by the way.
*I take it Watford Jn-St Albans isn't an option at that time?

Probably not. Even if it was, NRE suggests 24 mins for the walk from
St Albans Abbey to St Albans City...

PaulO

The last train from Watford Junction to St Albans Abbey is 21 31 Now
that's not late at night!

Burkey