Old June 19th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Stratford - new DLR platforms

In message
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:

alex_t wrote:

I've not yet been up on the platform, but the numbering is now even
more screwed up as announcements about "Platform 4" mean the now closed
old DLR platform...

Well, I guess there will be no confusion, since platform 4 will be closed
in the future.

Yes but what are they calling the new DLR platforms? There's nothing
logical short of redoing the entire station.

A & B?

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old June 20th 07, 02:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:07:28 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

As I've mentioned in another post, the TfL website drawings of the upgraded
station show the DLR platforms as 4A and 4B.

One of the passenger focus reports asks for a complete renumbering when the
new NLL platforms, 12A/B, and the new Central line westbound platform, 3A
have all been completed. There will be 19 platform faces ultimately AFAICT.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...orm-Layout.pdf

Yeah, that needs renumbering!
Old June 20th 07, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul Scott wrote:

Yes but what are they calling the new DLR platforms? There's nothing
logical short of redoing the entire station.

As I've mentioned in another post, the TfL website drawings of the
upgraded station show the DLR platforms as 4A and 4B.

Which makes no sense when they're the wrong side of platform 3.

One of the passenger focus reports asks for a complete renumbering when
the new NLL platforms, 12A/B, and the new Central line westbound platform,
3A have all been completed. There will be 19 platform faces ultimately
AFAICT.

Will this ever get implemented?

Old June 20th 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

alex_t wrote:

This is due to crappy announcement system at Stratford station. DLR
has it's own system, which I believe covers only DLR platform +
northern end of platforms 3 and 5. The DLR announcements are
definitely separate from the main announcement system (which leads to
conflicts when station staff talks over the DLR announcements).

My favourite is when TfL announcements about Stratford being a no smoking
overrides announcements about which stations a peak hour train is stopping
at (the Shenfield service has a complex pattern of stops at . As the east
end of platform 5 has no monitor and many commuters arrive on the Central
Line, being able to know if the train stops at your station is rather more
important than a stock announcement.

Old June 20th 07, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 19 Jun, 11:24, alex_t wrote:
Also noticed: the maps of the DLR at the new platforms include Langdon
Park, Shadwell without East London Line, and completed Woolwich
Arsenal extension - all covered with temporary stickers. I love that
they thought about that in advance! Definitely better then LUL with
their fig leaves over the maps :-)

Is Langdon Park what was going to be called Carmen Street when it was
first proposed; or is it somewhere else?

Old June 20th 07, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

My favourite is when TfL announcements about Stratford being a no smoking
overrides announcements about which stations a peak hour train is stopping
at (the Shenfield service has a complex pattern of stops at . As the east
end of platform 5 has no monitor and many commuters arrive on the Central
Line, being able to know if the train stops at your station is rather more
important than a stock announcement.

Or warning people that "the platform surfaces became slippery - this
is due to adverse weather conditions" when it's raining. Or the
absolutely useless and very long "security" announcements (aka "we
have CCTV"). Or the advertisement of the buffet (do they even get paid
for that?). It's like they have a contest to create the longest most
useless text ever.

Old June 20th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Is Langdon Park what was going to be called Carmen Street when it was
first proposed; or is it somewhere else?

Exactly. It was one of the two "secured" but not built stations on the
initial DLR network. The other one was Pudding Mill Lane (which I
believe opened in 1996).

Old June 20th 07, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article .com,
alex_t writes

I've not yet been up on the platform, but the numbering is now even more
screwed up as announcements about "Platform 4" mean the now closed old DLR
platform...

Well, I guess there will be no confusion, since platform 4 will be
closed in the future. And all announcements about new DLR station will
be heard only near the DLR platforms.

One good thing is that all the fare dodgers on the One metro services
are frustrated because the ticket machine on platform 5 (old 4) has been
shut down - unfortunately they can still walk down to the jubilee line
gate line and buy tickets there - why?? Make them leave the station and
buy a ticket to travel to Stratford!

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail