Old June 18th 07, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Should kids go free?

No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

Old June 19th 07, 04:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 19, 12:26 am, ricardo wrote:
No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

Thank you for expressing your opinion at uk.transport.london. A
subscriber should respond to you within the next 48 hours.

Old June 19th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Jun, 00:26, ricardo wrote:
No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

I suspect part of the thinking behind it was that on the buses when
the school kids all pile in its virtually impossible for the driver to
know who's paid or who hasn't so make the drivers life easier and just
let them on. Though I suspect this will lead to more problems than it
solves.

B2003

Old June 19th 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

ricardo wrote:
No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

Yes, all full-time students should be entitled to free travel as:
a) they *have* to go out to school, college, etc.
b) Uni students are already racking up huge debts
c) Students generally have less money than OAPs
Old June 19th 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"ricardo" wrote in message
ups.com...
No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

kids should go free 0800 to 0930 and 1500 to 1630 Mondays to Fridays all
other times full fare

Old June 19th 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

I was under the impression, perhaps the wrong impression, that the idea was
to encourage children to make more use of public transport with the hope
they will carry on using it as adults. If they already needed to use public
transport for their school journeys then it seems to me that making it free
isn't really doing all that much to further this aim. Free bus journeys in
the evenings and weekends and outside peak periods in holiday times would be
more appropriate. I also believe that kids need to learn to contribute and
paying for their bus fares to and from school would be an excellent example.

In my experience providing children with free bus journeys has made travel
on some bus routes miserable for other passengers at the ends of the school
day. It encourages children to bundle onto buses via rear doors instead of
queuing at the front door with others and it has also encouraged them to use
the bus for journeys of just one stop which they would be unlikely to do if
paying.

Old June 19th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It encourages children to bundle onto buses via rear doors instead of
queuing at the front door with others and it has also encouraged them to use
the bus for journeys of just one stop which they would be unlikely to do if
paying.

But I've also noticed that since OAPs have been given free bus travel in
my area (only been about for about 1yr), they have also been making
short journeys which they've never done before. I've even seen someone
get on the bus, go round the terminus point & get back off further down
the road!

Tbh, it's a shame, as many kids aren't badly behaved, but I certaintly
feel there should be an evening time limit, say 9pm or something.
Old June 20th 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:14:37 GMT, "Graham J"
In my experience providing children with free bus journeys has made travel
on some bus routes miserable for other passengers at the ends of the school
day. It encourages children to bundle onto buses via rear doors instead of
queuing at the front door with others and it has also encouraged them to use
the bus for journeys of just one stop which they would be unlikely to do if
paying.

The previous plan involved photo Oystercards which would supposedly
enforce good behaviour by the nippers. Misbehave and the card is taken
away, little johnny has to walk home. Obviously no thought went in to
how much the driver has to put up with for normal boarding and how the
only punishment for small offenders is at worst a "everyone off the
bus" shout, engine turned off.

Policy appears to be made on the fly depending on which side his
Ken-ness gets out of bed. A curfew time would make some sense.
--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com
Old June 20th 07, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 09:14:37PM +0000, Graham J wrote:

it has also encouraged them to use
the bus for journeys of just one stop which they would be unlikely to do if
paying.

How does paying for a travelcard or bus pass discourage people from
tavelling for just one stop?

I hate baby seals. They get asked to all the best clubs.