Old June 20th 07, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Should kids go free?

On Jun 20, 12:24 pm, David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 09:14:37PM +0000, Graham J wrote:
it has also encouraged them to use
the bus for journeys of just one stop which they would be unlikely to do if
paying.

How does paying for a travelcard or bus pass discourage people from
tavelling for just one stop?

I hate baby seals. They get asked to all the best clubs.

Children who live one stop away from school would previously not have
bought bus passes, but now take the bus.

Old June 21st 07, 07:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

How does paying for a travelcard or bus pass discourage people from
tavelling for just one stop?

My argument is that most people would not pay for a bus pass or travelcard
in order to make a journey of at most few hundred yards in a very crowded
bus in discomfort and also one that on average would take longer than
walking, and even less would pay a single fare to do it. I personally
wouldn't do it with free travel either, but it seems children do, perhaps
because all their mates who are making longer journeys are getting on the
bus,

Old June 21st 07, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:31:59 GMT, Mojo
wrote:

ricardo wrote:
No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

Yes, all full-time students should be entitled to free travel as:
a) they *have* to go out to school, college, etc.
b) Uni students are already racking up huge debts
c) Students generally have less money than OAPs

But they can still afford to buy the latest mobile phone and mp3
players!
Old June 21st 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

ricardo wrote:
No! Kids should learn at a very early age to contribute and give of
themselves we live in a take and thankless world and I think ,Ken
livingstone (The Mayor) has made a BIG MISTAKE that will haunt him or
his childrens, children in years to come, I beleive that anybody over
the age of 50 should travel free because they are more likely to have
made a contribution to society than some snotty 15 year old kid.

Yes, all full-time students should be entitled to free travel as:
a) they *have* to go out to school, college, etc.
b) Uni students are already racking up huge debts
c) Students generally have less money than OAPs

But they can still afford to buy the latest mobile phone and mp3
players!

Not all of them. But I think a better idea would be to offer
means-tested free public transport. There's no reason that rich OAPs
should get it free either.
--
Michael Hoffman