Old July 16th 07, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Mr Thant wrote:

On Jul 13, 10:57 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Charles Ellson" wrote in message

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:31:08 -0700, MIG
wrote:

Just what I was thinking, but then I thought "Don't say anything ...
any plan to replace 313s and 508s must be encouraged".

Unfortunately, about the only thing that is more uncomfortable than a
313 on the DC line is a tube train.

Ever since I first heard this, I wondered if passengers really want, or
need, tube stock all the way out to Watford Junction, given the
competing County service for 'whole route' travel. What are the
possible TfL's drive for high frequency tube style services could get a
bit carried away?

Isn't the theory that these services will be for local travel around
Watford - people commuting in to Watford from the south etc? I've
certainly heard that idea in connection with the Croxley Link, so i assume
something similar applies here to some extent.

If not, i'd agree. Tube stock is not really suitable for this service.

TfL are pretty much obligated to provide a service to Watford anyway, so
I think the idea is that sending Bakerloo Line trains up is cheaper than
running a whole separate operation.

TfL are going to be running proper trains along the NLR as well, so no
whole separate operation is needed.

tom

--
The girlfriend of my friend is my enemy.

Old July 16th 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, D7666 wrote:

On Jul 13, 3:57 pm, Charles Ellson wrote:

Any time I have been down that way the non-rush hour loadings of the
tube trains on the DC line hardly seem to exceed about a dozen people

Really IMHO what needs to be done - nay should have been done under WCML
PUG - is abandon the DC out of Euston, convert it to AC and have a full
6 track railway between Euston and Watford.

To what end? It's 4-track north of Watford Junction, so having six tracks
between Euston and there doesn't increase the functional capacity of the
line. The only thing i can think of that you could use these new OHLE
tracks for would be a local service to WJ - and they're doing that pretty
well with DC electrification. Unless you're suggesting a rather more
frequent service to St Albans Abbey?

tom

--
The girlfriend of my friend is my enemy.
Old July 16th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:56:36 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, D7666 wrote:

On Jul 13, 3:57 pm, Charles Ellson wrote:

Any time I have been down that way the non-rush hour loadings of the
tube trains on the DC line hardly seem to exceed about a dozen people

Really IMHO what needs to be done - nay should have been done under WCML
PUG - is abandon the DC out of Euston, convert it to AC and have a full
6 track railway between Euston and Watford.

To what end? It's 4-track north of Watford Junction, so having six tracks
between Euston and there doesn't increase the functional capacity of the
line. The only thing i can think of that you could use these new OHLE
tracks for would be a local service to WJ - and they're doing that pretty
well with DC electrification. Unless you're suggesting a rather more
frequent service to St Albans Abbey?

Kensal Green and South Hampstead tunnels might knacker the provision
of OHLE if the clearances aren't sufficient although dual-voltage
stock would cure that (i.e. proper stuff, not 313s). ISTR someone else
has already suggesting converting St.Albans to trams, which if done
Karlsruhe-style cures the problem of getting from the east side of
Watford to the DC line (i.e. go via the streets rather than provide a
flyover/under) and provides an excuse for at least partial provision
of AC electrification on the north end of the DC line and the outer
parts of the Met.
Old July 19th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jul 4, 3:16 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
TfL have announced a follow on order for Electrostars, mainly for 4th
cars for their North London Railway fleet:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/5432.aspx

Is air conditioning really necessary? These trains will be stopping
more frequently than 376s after all. Adding weight and fuel
consumption should be considered very carefully in these energy
conscious days.

Rumours are that SWT is turning up Desiro thermostats due to its
electricity bill...

Old July 19th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

EE507 wrote:
On Jul 4, 3:16 pm, Mr Thant

wrote:
TfL have announced a follow on order for Electrostars, mainly for
4th cars for their North London Railway
fleet:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/5432.aspx

Is air conditioning really necessary?

Presumably you haven't travelled on the North London Line in the rush
hour in summer, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to ask that question.

--
Richard J.