Old August 21st 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line - again!

"Steve" wrote in message
"Ed Crowley" wrote in

@mercury.nildram.net:

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , Ed Crowley
writes

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , Rupert

Goodwins
writes

Would it not be possible to dynamically redo the timetable during

the
day, to take account of changes occuring after the start of play? I
appreciate that this is non-trivial, and I expect there are a lot

of
implications for rostering, but it's the sort of thing that might

be
feasible with today's IT that wasn't just a few years back.
So you as a driver having just done 3 to five hour's in the cab is
approached at say Golders Green, and told that because of

reprogramming
for the public good you can't have relief but have to carry on for a
further four hours for the public good. Right I understand putting

the
public first, but isn't a driver also a member of the human race and
entitled to some time off?

Another four hours? One end of the Northern line to the other takes

roughly
70 minutes ...

But once you've buggered up change over please explain where the fantom
staff come from?

Probably best to have the whole thing using ATO with a member of staff

on
every platform for door closing duties ...

LUL staff fought long and hard for the right never to be on the platforms.

I just think it would be the perfect solution. Driverless trains that can
travel closer together more safely and staff on every platform with a button
to signal to the train that it's safe to close the doors. You probably
wouldn't need to hire or fire anyone either, although the drivers reassigned
to platform duties may need a small pay 'adjustment'.

Old August 22nd 03, 01:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive Carmock
writes

Strange how they regularly change the destination from that displayed
on the dot matrix indicator at Morden each morning. No courtesy
announcement to passengers of the change of course. To do so could be
considered helpful and we can't have that can we?

Clive

O.K. So you've now demonstrated that you've never worked on the system.
--
Clive
Old August 22nd 03, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive
writes
O.K. So you've now demonstrated that you've never worked on the system.

Correct, but have used it for many years as a customer getting less and
less patient as time goes on.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but at a terminal station where platform
alterations are likely it would be good customer service to actually
inform customers of a change.

Of course if this was a rare occurrence I wouldn't think twice about it,
but it is in fact a very regular occurrence. Regularly passengers here
grumble about the same thing.

Maybe there are very valid reasons why something as simple as a PA
announcement cannot be given. If you are able to enlighten us all maybe
you would care to do so?

--
Clive