Old July 17th 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster readers on Heathrow Connect

James Farrar wrote:
There still aren't any.

I had an argument with a guard when he (pointlessly) wanted to see my
Oyster card...

Are you sure? Last year, somebody asked me to present my Oyster card on
Heathrow Connect between Ealing Broadway and Paddington. He touched it
to some sort of electronic device and was satisfied by what it informed him.

(That's quite unlike the woman on DLR, who was satisfied when I pulled
an Oyster wallet out of my pocket. For all she knew, I had stuffed it
with MetroCards.)
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old July 17th 07, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:15:22 -0400, David of Broadway
wrote:

James Farrar wrote:
There still aren't any.

I had an argument with a guard when he (pointlessly) wanted to see my
Oyster card...

Are you sure? Last year, somebody asked me to present my Oyster card on
Heathrow Connect between Ealing Broadway and Paddington. He touched it
to some sort of electronic device and was satisfied by what it informed him.

Quite sure. I travel on HC fairly regularly, and the and-held readers
disappeared early this year, IIRC, and haven't been seen since.
Old July 17th 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

wrote:

James Farrar wrote:
There still aren't any.

I had an argument with a guard when he (pointlessly) wanted to see my
Oyster card...

Are you sure? Last year, somebody asked me to present my Oyster card on
Heathrow Connect between Ealing Broadway and Paddington. He touched it
to some sort of electronic device and was satisfied by what it informed
him.

Quite sure. I travel on HC fairly regularly, and the and-held readers
disappeared early this year, IIRC, and haven't been seen since.

Well, I travel on HC fairly regularly and was surprised by on-board staff
just last week with an oyster reader. I even commented to him, "Oh, you've
got Oyster readers now?". "Not really", he said, "Just borrowed this one!"
I must add, I've always found the HC staff very friendly.

--
Fig
Old July 17th 07, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

James Farrar wrote:
There still aren't any.

I had an argument with a guard when he (pointlessly) wanted to see my
Oyster card...

Are you sure? Last year, somebody asked me to present my Oyster card on
Heathrow Connect between Ealing Broadway and Paddington. He touched it
to some sort of electronic device and was satisfied by what it informed him.

Quite sure. I travel on HC fairly regularly, and the and-held readers
disappeared early this year, IIRC, and haven't been seen since.

Ah, so we're both right. I was last in London in August 2006.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old July 19th 07, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

James Farrar wrote:
There still aren't any.

Well, I travel on HC fairly regularly and was surprised by on-board
staff just last week with an oyster reader. I even commented to him,
"Oh, you've got Oyster readers now?". "Not really", he said, "Just
borrowed this one!"

Bad form to follow-up my own post but, the staff on HC had a handheld
reader again today. (Although it wasn't powerful enough to read through my
wallet, despite the fact all the other readers it meets are, so I still
forced to get it out and show it to him!)

--
Fig