Old September 8th 07, 01:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default [OT] Mysteries seen from the air

Evening all,

Briefly revisiting our question to work out the time and date at which
Google Maps' terrible aerial photos of London were taken (i think we'd got
it down to early one sunday morning, and we had a date range of a few
weeks), whenever it was, something involving a red carpet and a lot of
people was on in Trafalgar Squa

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.50...&t=k&z=18&om=1

Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...&t=k&z=19&om=1

tom

--
Understand the world we're living in

Old September 8th 07, 05:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mysteries seen from the air

On Sep 8, 2:41 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

Weird stuff. It looks like it's right next to the Tram stop so l'll
have a look next time l'm down there.
Binary makes me fall immediately to sleep - what are the two numbers?
I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport has the
word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are not
approaching Gatwick.

Old September 8th 07, 06:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 8, 6:40 am, Offramp wrote:
On Sep 8, 2:41 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport has the
word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are not
approaching Gatwick.

In Manchester there is a building near the station carrying a large
UMIST sign - put up no doubt to advise pilots landing at Ringway that
they were too far north :-)

Old September 8th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Sep, 06:40, Offramp wrote:
On Sep 8, 2:41 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

Weird stuff. It looks like it's right next to the Tram stop so l'll
have a look next time l'm down there.
Binary makes me fall immediately to sleep - what are the two numbers?
I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport has the
word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are not
approaching Gatwick.

There used to be a gasholder at South Harrow with NO painted on the
side to indicate that it was near Northolt airfield and not on the
approach to Heathrow.

Old September 8th 07, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dB dB is offline

I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport has the
word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are not
approaching Gatwick.

There used to be a gasholder at South Harrow with NO painted on the
side to indicate that it was near Northolt airfield and not on the
approach to Heathrow.

That was done after someone tried to land a 747 at Northolt.

Old September 8th 07, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...&t=k&z=19&om=1

It's not a binary number, it's an arrangement of skylights. The southern
number alternates 1s and 0s, and the northern one nearly does, which
suggests that the similarity to ones and zeroes is coincidental. If you look
at the building further north, it has similar skylights but in a less
interesting pattern.

Old September 8th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jon Jon is offline

On 8 Sep, 10:35, "dB" wrote:
I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport has the
word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are not
approaching Gatwick.

There used to be a gasholder at South Harrow with NO painted on the
side to indicate that it was near Northolt airfield and not on the
approach to Heathrow.

That was done after someone tried to land a 747 at Northolt.

The gasholder still standing in Southall has an arrow and 'LH' marked
on it for the same reason. ISTR being told someone did land a 707 at
Northolt by mistake in the 1970's, and it had to be stripped of all
non-essential components to make it light enough to take off again
safely.

Jon

Old September 8th 07, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:50:00 -0700, Jon
wrote:

On 8 Sep, 10:35, "dB" wrote:
I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport has the
word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are not
approaching Gatwick.

There used to be a gasholder at South Harrow with NO painted on the
side to indicate that it was near Northolt airfield and not on the
approach to Heathrow.

That was done after someone tried to land a 747 at Northolt.

The gasholder still standing in Southall has an arrow and 'LH' marked
on it for the same reason. ISTR being told someone did land a 707 at
Northolt by mistake in the 1970's, and it had to be stripped of all
non-essential components to make it light enough to take off again
safely.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1001607 and
http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html refer to this incident in
October 1960.

Wikipedia's page on [[RAF Northolt]] states "In days before such
navigational aides as instrument landing system (ILS) and the global
positioning system (GPS), the letters NO (for Northolt) and HR (for
Heathrow) were painted on two gasometers situated on the approach to
each airfield, one at Southall for the approach into Heathrow and one
at South Harrow for the approach to Northolt in an effort to prevent
recurrence of such errors." - this seems to imply that they're no
longer there, and certainly I cannot find any evidence from a quick
Google Maps search.
Old September 8th 07, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On 8 Sep, 10:35, "dB" wrote:
I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport
has the word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are
not approaching Gatwick.

There used to be a gasholder at South Harrow with NO painted on the
side to indicate that it was near Northolt airfield and not on the
approach to Heathrow.

That was done after someone tried to land a 747 at Northolt.

The gasholder still standing in Southall has an arrow and 'LH' marked
on it for the same reason. ISTR being told someone did land a 707 at
Northolt by mistake in the 1970's, and it had to be stripped of all
non-essential components to make it light enough to take off again
safely.

It was a PanAm 707 in October 1960. The racket must have startled the
residents of Harow-on-the-Hill and Harrow school, which is right under
the flight path.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1001607 and
http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html refer to this incident in
October 1960.

Wikipedia's page on [[RAF Northolt]] states "In days before such
navigational aides as instrument landing system (ILS) and the global
positioning system (GPS), the letters NO (for Northolt) and HR (for
Heathrow) were painted on two gasometers situated on the approach to
each airfield, one at Southall for the approach into Heathrow and one
at South Harrow for the approach to Northolt in an effort to prevent
recurrence of such errors." - this seems to imply that they're no
longer there, and certainly I cannot find any evidence from a quick
Google Maps search.

I don't know about Southall, but the Northolt gas holder is long gone,
to be replaced by a small retail park with three large stores:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...8476&z=17&om=1

Sadly, they don't have any helpful messages for passing pilots painted
on their roofs.

That's the Piccadilly line passing on the left, and you can still see
the remains of the old freight branch pointing at what is now a Waitrose
store.

Old September 8th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

Wikipedia's page on [[RAF Northolt]] states "In days before such
navigational aides as instrument landing system (ILS) and the global
positioning system (GPS), the letters NO (for Northolt) and HR (for
Heathrow) were painted on two gasometers situated on the approach to
each airfield, one at Southall for the approach into Heathrow and one
at South Harrow for the approach to Northolt in an effort to prevent
recurrence of such errors." - this seems to imply that they're no
longer there, and certainly I cannot find any evidence from a quick
Google Maps search.

The Southall gasometer seems to still have LH on it...
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...0103&encType=1