Old September 25th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default So why do they keep closing Kings X?

I asked this at the beginning of the summer, the reply seemed to be
"overcrowding". I did wonder then what wd happen after the holiday season
when most worker commuters returned from hols.

Well, now I know, closed twice in two days.

When on Monday morning I asked the TfL person if sending us all to Euston
wouldn't also cause that to close down, I was pooh-poohed. Well, lokee
here, eh? What happened this evening, Kings X and Euston.

Well, it seems Kings X can't cope with the usual commuter flow. Who is
responsible for that, I wonder?

Not surprised old Gordo failed to make any mention whatsowever of public
transport in his speech. He helped f*** it up in the first place. I speak
as a former member of the Labour party.

Marķa

Old September 25th 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Sep 25, 8:21 pm, "Marķa" wrote:
I asked this at the beginning of the summer, the reply seemed to be
"overcrowding". I did wonder then what wd happen after the holiday season
when most worker commuters returned from hols.

Well, now I know, closed twice in two days.

When on Monday morning I asked the TfL person if sending us all to Euston
wouldn't also cause that to close down, I was pooh-poohed. Well, lokee
here, eh? What happened this evening, Kings X and Euston.

Well, it seems Kings X can't cope with the usual commuter flow. Who is
responsible for that, I wonder?

Not surprised old Gordo failed to make any mention whatsowever of public
transport in his speech. He helped f*** it up in the first place. I speak
as a former member of the Labour party.

Marķa

Insert your own station name and ask the same question. Oxford Circus
closes several times a day every day.

Old September 25th 07, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

Insert your own station name and ask the same question. Oxford Circus
closes several times a day every day.

It's a fair question, though, with regard to KX. The rebuild was supposed to
take into account a much larger passenger footfall, even without the
Northern Ticket Hall.

Old September 25th 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:54:29 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

MIG wrote:

Insert your own station name and ask the same question. Oxford Circus
closes several times a day every day.

It's a fair question, though, with regard to KX. The rebuild was supposed to
take into account a much larger passenger footfall, even without the
Northern Ticket Hall.

The escalators and platforms have not been rebuilt though. Yes there is
more ticket hall and upper level circulation but not below. I would
guess that tonight's problems were caused by the signal failure at Arnos
Grove on the Piccadilly Line which will have caused huge problems as the
service would fall to bits with a failure at such a crucial point on the
line.
--
Paul C

Old September 25th 07, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

The escalators and platforms have not been rebuilt though. Yes there is
more ticket hall and upper level circulation but not below. I would
guess that tonight's problems were caused by the signal failure at Arnos
Grove on the Piccadilly Line which will have caused huge problems as the
service would fall to bits with a failure at such a crucial point on the
line.

It did.

We were blocking back to Knightsbridge at one point, then a number of
'interesting' reversals (E to W at Kings X and Hyde Park Corner for two)
were made to attempt to thin out the service. At one point, they were
detraining trains through the one in front. Of course,
Arsenal_playing_at_home didn't help any.

Me? I was safely ensconced in Northfields depot having been cancelled
for a trip as I was running late. After hearing tales of Heathrow
trains tipping out to be stabled in Northfields depot, I suggested to
the Line Controller that he may wish to use my time more profitably and
bring me out to somewhere like Hammersmith and do a Heathrow and back.
He decided that he would prefer that I would come out early to just take
the train through to Cockfosters depot to stable; a little task that
took me 2 hours 25 mins (normal time should be about 1 hour 10 mins.)
And I still got to finish early!

Old September 25th 07, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Sep, 22:35, Paul Corfield wrote:

The escalators and platforms have not been rebuilt though. Yes there is
more ticket hall and upper level circulation but not below.

Is the planned northern ticket hall expected to make things much
better? It won't increase the number of trains, not the size of the
platforms. And of course the new international and domestic services
to St Pancras will mean even more people using the underground
station.

Will each deep-level platform be given a new exit? Having an
alternative way off from the platform (especially the Northern line
platform, which have the exit at one end) would help a lot.

PaulO

Old September 26th 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:37:12 -0700, Paul Oter
wrote:

On 25 Sep, 22:35, Paul Corfield wrote:

The escalators and platforms have not been rebuilt though. Yes there is
more ticket hall and upper level circulation but not below.

Is the planned northern ticket hall expected to make things much
better? It won't increase the number of trains, not the size of the
platforms. And of course the new international and domestic services
to St Pancras will mean even more people using the underground
station.

Will each deep-level platform be given a new exit? Having an
alternative way off from the platform (especially the Northern line
platform, which have the exit at one end) would help a lot.

There is certainly a new link being added for the Picc Line and also
into the current Thameslink tunnel (between the Vic and Picc Lines). I
think the Northern is also getting a new entry / exit point into the
corridor that will run to the Northern ticket hall. I haven't seen a
specific new entrance on the Vic line platforms - I think people would
be directed to the Thameslink corridor.

This has a bit more info

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...pr07_FINAL.pdf

That will help spread people throughout the station but platforms are
still the same length and depth plus people tend to congregate at entry
and exit points rather than walk along. There will still come a point
where it is impossible to get people on or off platforms if the train
service is up the creek.
--
Paul C

Old September 26th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I found some DfT sponsored plans for the Northern Ticket Hall and associated
passageways from 2004. Heavy going, but shows all future stages of
development, the final arrangements seem to be figure 12, and confirms what
you say above about the Victoria line not having a new entrance. There has
been much previous debate about the eastern most route from the Victoria
line platforms to the KX Thameslink entrance, you would imagine they'd have
to make a decision soon, even if it only removes a very small % of the tube
ticket hall footfall it would seem to be helpful...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/ct...tationcapacity

Paul S

Old September 26th 07, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

The escalators and platforms have not been rebuilt though. Yes there is
more ticket hall and upper level circulation but not below. I would
guess that tonight's problems were caused by the signal failure at Arnos
Grove on the Piccadilly Line which will have caused huge problems as the
service would fall to bits with a failure at such a crucial point on the
line.

It did.

We were blocking back to Knightsbridge at one point, then a number of
'interesting' reversals (E to W at Kings X and Hyde Park Corner for two)
were made to attempt to thin out the service. At one point, they were
detraining trains through the one in front.

Sounds like fun!

I arrived at Euston just after it closed. I was then part of the exodus
down Euston Road to Warren Street, and was pleasantly surprised to find
that that was still open.

Of course, Arsenal_playing_at_home didn't help any.

Indeed. Arsenal FC should either stump up the cash for the improvements
needed to get their fans in and out of the stadium without ****ing
everyone else over, or move out, or close down. It's frankly insulting
that they continue to just dump tens of thousands of people in my
neighbourhood a couple of times a week and expect us to live with it.
Drayton Park ashould be improved to be able to cope with the loads
(instead of shutting down!), and the necessary improvements at KX should
be brought forward, and Arsenal should foot the bill, end of.

tom

--
There's no future.
Old September 26th 07, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:20:13 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[kx expansion and congestion]

I found some DfT sponsored plans for the Northern Ticket Hall and associated
passageways from 2004. Heavy going, but shows all future stages of
development, the final arrangements seem to be figure 12, and confirms what
you say above about the Victoria line not having a new entrance. There has
been much previous debate about the eastern most route from the Victoria
line platforms to the KX Thameslink entrance, you would imagine they'd have
to make a decision soon, even if it only removes a very small % of the tube
ticket hall footfall it would seem to be helpful...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/ct...tationcapacity

Interesting - thank you. The various demand scenarios post phase 2
expansion still show that the platforms themselves are the constraint -
even after the line upgrades are delivered with an improved throughput
of trains.
--
Paul C