Old October 21st 07, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Strange little cameras on gantries above the roads.

I've noticed recently that some odd looking cameras have started
popping up on gantries around london. I've seen them on the A406, A12
and A13 so far. They/re quite small, round and theres usually 4 or 5
of them mounted horizontally on a bar across the carraigeway. Are
these some sort of number plate recognition system?

B2003

Old October 21st 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar (Boltar ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I've noticed recently that some odd looking cameras have started popping
up on gantries around london. I've seen them on the A406, A12 and A13 so
far. They/re quite small, round and theres usually 4 or 5 of them
mounted horizontally on a bar across the carraigeway. Are these some
sort of number plate recognition system?

Yeh, I've been wondering that, too. There's also some around the services
on the M4 (can't remember the name of the svcs - the ones between
Heathrow and London) and on the A40 between the Hoover building and
Hangar Lane.
Old October 21st 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:03:05 -0700, Boltar
wrote:

I've noticed recently that some odd looking cameras have started
popping up on gantries around london. I've seen them on the A406, A12
and A13 so far. They/re quite small, round and theres usually 4 or 5
of them mounted horizontally on a bar across the carraigeway. Are
these some sort of number plate recognition system?

B2003

Number plate and face recognition according to the press. A more
permanent version of the slew of unmarked white vans with things on
tripods on over bridges during the party conference season I guess.
Old October 21st 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
I've noticed recently that some odd looking cameras have started
popping up on gantries around london. I've seen them on the A406,
A12 and A13 so far. They/re quite small, round and theres usually 4
or 5 of them mounted horizontally on a bar across the carraigeway.
Are these some sort of number plate recognition system?

I understand that most of these new cameras are in connection with the
Low Emission Zone (LEZ) to be introduced from February 2008. Details at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

--
Richard J.

Old October 22nd 07, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 21, 5:00 pm, wrote:
Number plate and face recognition according to the press. A more
permanent version of the slew of unmarked white vans with things on
tripods on over bridges during the party conference season I guess.

I guess its time to go out and buy the motorbike - no front plate (the
cameras face backwards) and a helmet covering the face.

B2003

Old October 22nd 07, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 21, 5:53 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
I understand that most of these new cameras are in connection with the
Low Emission Zone (LEZ) to be introduced from February 2008. Details athttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

Is the LEZ the whole M25 area??

B2003

Old October 22nd 07, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar (Boltar ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I understand that most of these new cameras are in connection with the
Low Emission Zone (LEZ) to be introduced from February 2008. Details
at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

Is the LEZ the whole M25 area??

The whole of the London Boroughs, with the exception of one or two short
stretches of motorway.
Old October 22nd 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 22, 9:25 am, Boltar wrote:
On Oct 21, 5:53 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

I understand that most of these new cameras are in connection with the
Low Emission Zone (LEZ) to be introduced from February 2008. Details athttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

Is the LEZ the whole M25 area??

B2003

Its the whole of the London area, from Enfield to Kingston, Havering
to Hillingdon and including Bromley and Croydon. Some parts of the M4,
M25 and M11 are included, though I don't see how they can police a
vehicle passing through a small section of the M25 in its way to
somewhere else. Its worrying someone I know whose factory is just
inside the zone and he has a P-reg diesel van, which he travels to
work in each day.

Neill

Neill

Old October 22nd 07, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

verbena (verbena ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Its the whole of the London area, from Enfield to Kingston, Havering to
Hillingdon and including Bromley and Croydon. Some parts of the M4, M25
and M11 are included, though I don't see how they can police a vehicle
passing through a small section of the M25 in its way to somewhere else.

s'ok - that one short stretch of M25 is explicitly excluded.

Its worrying someone I know whose factory is just inside the zone and he
has a P-reg diesel van, which he travels to work in each day.

Vans 3.5t don't come under the LEZ until 2010.