Old August 20th 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

Default Those round yellow disks?

I've noticed on some of the more modern buses that there is a yellow disk by
the ticket machine and that some oaps appear to scan their bus passes on it
instead of showing the driver.

What is the purpose of these and can I scan my travelcard?

I've also noticed them on tramlink stations.

Ken

Old August 20th 03, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ken" wrote in message
I've noticed on some of the more modern buses that there is a yellow disk

by
the ticket machine and that some oaps appear to scan their bus passes on

it
instead of showing the driver.

What is the purpose of these and can I scan my travelcard?

I've also noticed them on tramlink stations.

They're Oyster card readers:
http://www.oystercard.com

Old August 20th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:48:36 +0100 Ken said...

I've noticed on some of the more modern buses that there is a yellow disk by
the ticket machine and that some oaps appear to scan their bus passes on it
instead of showing the driver.

What is the purpose of these and can I scan my travelcard?

I've also noticed them on tramlink stations.

It's all part of the Oyster card system. Read all about it at:

www.oystercard.com

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old August 20th 03, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ken" wrote:

I've noticed on some of the more modern buses that there is a yellow disk by
the ticket machine and that some oaps appear to scan their bus passes on it
instead of showing the driver.

Excellent, I'm an OAP now!

--
James Farrar |
London SE 13 |

Old August 21st 03, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve" wrote in message

Reminds me of the time we were filming people using ticket machines in

order
to understand how people used them. These were the old big red/orange NSE
machines with a button for each possible destination. They had a coin slot
and note slot (no cards as NSE would not take the risk), people tried

putting
coins in the note slot and vice versa...so basically to:

"how long before someone tries to crush their oyster card into the ticket
slot."

ITYM the QuickFare machines. Nearly 20 years on they still do the same thing
(despite pictograms showing which way to insert notes), along with trying to
cram chewing gum and other non-cash deposits into the slots. That is the
reason that QuickFare machines are so regularly out of service when you want
to buy a ticket!

Old August 21st 03, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

CJG wrote in message ...
In message , Ken
writes
I've noticed on some of the more modern buses that there is a yellow
disk by the ticket machine and that some oaps appear to scan their bus
passes on it instead of showing the driver.

What is the purpose of these and can I scan my travelcard?

I've also noticed them on tramlink stations.

I wonder how long before someone tries to
crush their oyster card into the ticket slot.

I've already had to explain their use to people who were about to do just that.

Kat

Old August 21st 03, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

James Farrar wrote in message . ..
"Ken" wrote:

I've noticed on some of the more modern buses that there is a yellow disk by
the ticket machine and that some oaps appear to scan their bus passes on it
instead of showing the driver.

Excellent, I'm an OAP now!

I think you'll find some of the Freedom Fighters have been misinformed
and think that their magnetic tickets will work like the smartcards...

Kat