Old November 28th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Lack of GOBLin connections

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

Gospel Oak at least serves LO's own GobLin service, albeit through an
awkward subway WB,

Erm the GOBLIN's bay platform is on the westbound NLL platform isn't it?

Eastbound, unless it's changed recently.
--
David Biddulph

Old November 28th 07, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Biddulph wrote:

Gospel Oak at least serves LO's own GobLin service, albeit through an
awkward subway WB,

Erm the GOBLIN's bay platform is on the westbound NLL platform isn't it?

Eastbound, unless it's changed recently.

Oops, mea culpa. But certainly a more useful interchange in one direction
than a subway from both would be.

Old November 28th 07, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

Also the track & platform layout is a mess - it's not possible to have a
through service switching between lines that stops at Gospel Oak.

Expect if through services off Goblin towards WJ ever happen (and it is in
one of the proposals), the bay will be closed and at least one platform
moved onto the westbound through line, possibly platforms on both lines...

Is it viable to make the through NLL platforms the reversing point for
GOBLIN trains? Whilst I can see a through service happening, I'd be
sceptical if it were for all services.

And do the track connections actually allow the GOBLIN to switch to the NLL
east of the platforms? My recollection is that they don't physically connect
at all on that side.

Old November 28th 07, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

Also the track & platform layout is a mess - it's not possible to
have a through service switching between lines that stops at Gospel
Oak.

Expect if through services off Goblin towards WJ ever happen (and it
is in one of the proposals), the bay will be closed and at least one
platform moved onto the westbound through line, possibly platforms
on both lines...

Is it viable to make the through NLL platforms the reversing point for
GOBLIN trains? Whilst I can see a through service happening, I'd be
sceptical if it were for all services.

It would require new viaduct and the desecration of an industrial yard, for
very little benefit, especially since Gospel Oak is the middle of nowhere.
Making the current bay platform a bidirectional through platform (for Goblin
passenger trains only) doesn't look hard form this photo...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...e=-1&encType=1

That would allow some Goblins to terminate here and some to serve Gospel Oak
on their way to or from Clapham Junction etc.

Old November 28th 07, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

Also the track & platform layout is a mess - it's not possible to have a
through service switching between lines that stops at Gospel Oak.

Expect if through services off Goblin towards WJ ever happen (and it is
in one of the proposals), the bay will be closed and at least one
platform moved onto the westbound through line, possibly platforms on
both lines...

Is it viable to make the through NLL platforms the reversing point for
GOBLIN trains? Whilst I can see a through service happening, I'd be
sceptical if it were for all services.

And do the track connections actually allow the GOBLIN to switch to the
NLL east of the platforms? My recollection is that they don't physically
connect at all on that side.

Don't forget the NLL platforms are curving round to the south as the NLL
leaves Gospel Oak eastbound, there woul be significant new track &
embankment works to get over from the Goblin and line up with the NLL with a
reasonable curve. It would also add two more unnecessary flat junctions in
the area, which is a bit of a negative when trying to increase passenger
frequencies while allowing for existing freight. Two new platforms is
probably the easiest solution really, and Google Earth seems to show bags of
room for them...

Paul

Old November 28th 07, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Nov, 14:40, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote:
when the line passes over the Central Line and Chiltern Railways
Ruislip branch, it is only a few hundred yards from North Acton
station, yet again no interchange is possible, despite
long-standing plans for such a facility here.

Plans? Are you sure? If so, where can I find them? Or do you just mean
"dreams"?

--
Richard J.

Ealing Council list it in their plans: