Old December 13th 07, 08:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Class 172 Turbostar Ordered

GoVia West Midlands have announced the signing of the somewhat delayed order
for their Class 172 Turbostars today, perhaps the TfL order for the GOBLIN
trains will now follow as well...

http://www.londonmidland.com/index.p..._items/view/22

Paul S

Old December 13th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:59:43 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

GoVia West Midlands have announced the signing of the somewhat delayed order
for their Class 172 Turbostars today, perhaps the TfL order for the GOBLIN
trains will now follow as well...

http://www.londonmidland.com/index.p..._items/view/22

Interesting - I wonder what price they've had to pay after the mistake
of saying they'd be Turbostars when the tendering / negotiation process
was far from complete.

I do hope the TfL order follows sharpish as I want new trains on the
GOBLIN as it's my local (Overground) line and (almost) anything must be
better than clapped out 150s.

I appreciate we don't really have a definitive view of the 1300 or 1700
new carriages but I've yet to see the GOBLIN diesel replacements
anywhere on any summary published so far.
--
Paul C

Old December 13th 07, 09:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

GoVia West Midlands have announced the signing of the somewhat delayed order
for their Class 172 Turbostars today, perhaps the TfL order for the GOBLIN
trains will now follow as well...

Why 172? How do they differ from 170s - are they the 75mph version?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 13th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

GoVia West Midlands have announced the signing of the somewhat delayed
order
for their Class 172 Turbostars today, perhaps the TfL order for the GOBLIN
trains will now follow as well...

http://www.londonmidland.com/index.p..._items/view/22

Interesting - I wonder what price they've had to pay after the mistake
of saying they'd be Turbostars when the tendering / negotiation process
was far from complete.

US$189m [say £95m] for 69 cars on www.bombardier.com Of course that may
include more than just the units, as is the way of these things nowadays...

Paul S

Old December 13th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

GoVia West Midlands have announced the signing of the somewhat delayed
order
for their Class 172 Turbostars today, perhaps the TfL order for the GOBLIN
trains will now follow as well...

Why 172? How do they differ from 170s - are they the 75mph version?

Apparently yes, lighter weight, suburban layout, with similar bogies to the
220 Voyagers.

Paul

Old December 13th 07, 09:22 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 13, 10:09 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

Interesting - I wonder what price they've had to pay after the mistake
of saying they'd be Turbostars when the tendering / negotiation process
was far from complete.

AIUI the previous announcements were based on a letter of intent
following the tender process.

We have seen this before with Bombardier orders - the SC/SN 171s had a
lag of something like 15 months between end of tender process + letter
of intent , and the order confirmation. All round they like it as all
parties get a chance to make twice the announcnements about new
trains.

Or was there something hidden behind this particular order ?

--
Nick
Old December 13th 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

GoVia West Midlands have announced the signing of the somewhat
delayed order
for their Class 172 Turbostars today, perhaps the TfL order for the
GOBLIN trains will now follow as well...

Why 172? How do they differ from 170s - are they the 75mph version?

Apparently yes, lighter weight, suburban layout, with similar bogies
to the 220 Voyagers.

What happens if someone wants to order regional Turbostars from now on?
Do they get 100mph Class 172s, or some new Class 173 hybrid?

Old December 13th 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"D7666" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 10:09 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

Interesting - I wonder what price they've had to pay after the mistake
of saying they'd be Turbostars when the tendering / negotiation process
was far from complete.

AIUI the previous announcements were based on a letter of intent
following the tender process.

We have seen this before with Bombardier orders - the SC/SN 171s had a
lag of something like 15 months between end of tender process + letter
of intent , and the order confirmation. All round they like it as all
parties get a chance to make twice the announcnements about new
trains.

Or was there something hidden behind this particular order ?

I recall there was a certain amount of debate here about how the DfT were
able to announce the class of train and manufacturer, without an OJEU notice
appearing, and tenders being sought.

Paul

Old December 13th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 13, 10:21 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Why 172? How do they differ from 170s - are they the 75mph version?

Apparently yes, lighter weight, suburban layout, with similar bogies to the
220 Voyagers.

They will also have I suspect different engines - the MTU 183 (on
class 170/171) is no longer made.

In continental Europe the new-ish MTU 1800 is the 183 replacement -
but of course any new DMU could have any engine - MAN seem to be
gaining mainland popularity.

--
Nick
Old December 13th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Dec 13, 10:27 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I recall there was a certain amount of debate here about how the DfT were
able to announce the class of train and manufacturer, without an OJEU notice
appearing, and tenders being sought.

There was - or at leastt here was in once case where I stated this.

However, I was shot down by subsequent posters and told it was wrong.

--
Nick