London Banter

-   -   ELL alternative route (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6076-ell-alternative-route.html)

gw2486 January 9th 08 05:45 PM

ELL alternative route

I was reading through the weekly email of weekend engineering works
today and clicked on the link for more information on the Aldgate area
closure. Was very surprised to be advised (sorry for long URL - see
page 5 of http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/emails/...4_12_13JAN.pdf
)
that if I want to get from Whitechapel to central London, the
alternative route is ELL via Canada Water. Not very well thought out!
Has anyone else found similarly bad advice given out by TfL?

gw2486 January 9th 08 05:49 PM

ELL alternative route

page 5 ofhttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/emails/worksandclosures/District_A4_12_1...
)
that if I want to get from Whitechapel to central London, the
alternative route is ELL via Canada Water. Not very well thought out!
Has anyone else found similarly bad advice given out by TfL?

To which I must add, there is a reminder almost exactly opposite on
the next page saying that the line is closed!
gw

MIG January 9th 08 06:26 PM

ELL alternative route

On 9 Jan, 17:49, gw2486 wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:45*pm, gw2486 wrote:

I was reading through the weekly email of weekend engineering works
today and clicked on the link for more information on the Aldgate area
closure. Was very surprised to be advised (sorry for long URL - see
page 5 ofhttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/emails/worksandclosures/District_A4_12_1...
)
that if I want to get from Whitechapel to central London, the
alternative route is ELL via Canada Water. Not very well thought out!
Has anyone else found similarly bad advice given out by TfL?

To which I must add, there is a reminder almost exactly opposite on
the next page saying that the line is closed!
gw

The DLR trains were announcing that one should change for the East
London Line at Shadwell a few days ago, and probably still.

It's true that you can still change there for the replacement buses if
you don't want to go south of the thames, but it's pointless if you
are heading south and generally misleading not to mention that the
line itself is closed.

Mizter T January 10th 08 04:28 PM

ELL alternative route

[see page 5 of PDF at http://tinyurl.com/34sppe]
that if I want to get from Whitechapel to central London, the
alternative route is ELL via Canada Water. Not very well thought out!
Has anyone else found similarly bad advice given out by TfL?

To which I must add, there is a reminder almost exactly opposite on
the next page saying that the line is closed!
gw

[Long URL in original post substituted for tinyurl]

What a spectacular display of ineptness! Presumably the erroneous
Whitechapel information has been copied and pasted from a previous
closure leaflet when the ELL was still open - still, one would have
hoped that a little bit of proof-reading would have picked this up.

An alternative for Whitechapelites heading for central London would be
to get the 106 or 254 bus from outside Whitechapel station up
Cambridge Heath Road to Bethnal Green tube station to get on the
Central line. Or of course simply take the 25 or 205 bus straight into
central London.

Off hand I can't think of any other similarly elementary error such as
the one you give above. However when I was on the North London Line in
November or December (indeed just after its transfer to TfL's London
Overground) there was a guard on board who, to his credit, was making
helpful and very clear announcements - problem was one of those
announcements was "Change at Highbury & Islington for the Victoria
line" when there wasn't any Victoria line running whatsoever that day.
Quite possibly not his fault but the fault of whoever at LOROL who was
supposed to disseminate such information to the guards.

I dare suggest that there are many such announcements made by TOC
staff on mainline trains that don't reflect weekend closures on the
Underground network - and indeed announcements on the Underground that
fail to account for non-running National Rail routes (in particular
auto announcements).

MIG January 10th 08 07:20 PM

ELL alternative route

On 10 Jan, 16:28, Mizter T wrote:
gw2486 wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:45�pm, gw2486 wrote:
[...]

Do you think maybe it's not so much a mistake as systems being
programmed to treat the ELL replacement bus services as being
equivalent to the ELL?

If that's the case, then the ELL exists for as long as the replacement
buses exist and unwitting travellers will be advised to use it.

In reality of course, the replacement buses are presumably there for
political reasons and serve almost no purpose that I can think of,
certainly south of the river.

Increasing the service on the 225 (maybe extending it to Rotherhithe
Station) would do most of the job for people whose entire journey is
between Rotherhithe and the New Crosses, while anyone crossing the
Thames or going to central London will just get to their nearest
Railway/DLR/Jubilee/District station by whatever bus goes there.

alex_t January 11th 08 11:20 AM

ELL alternative route

In reality of course, the replacement buses are presumably there for
political reasons and serve almost no purpose that I can think of,
certainly south of the river.

The best replacement bus is between Canada Water and Rotherhithe - it
is probably quicker to walk then to ride a bus... almost the same
Surrey Quays. In fact the only valuable replacement bus is the Wapping
one.

MIG January 11th 08 05:28 PM

ELL alternative route

On 11 Jan, 11:20, alex_t wrote:
In reality of course, the replacement buses are presumably there for
political reasons and serve almost no purpose that I can think of,
certainly south of the river.

The best replacement bus is between Canada Water and Rotherhithe - it
is probably quicker to walk then to ride a bus... almost the same
Surrey Quays. In fact the only valuable replacement bus is the Wapping
one.

I suspected that it might be the case for Wapping, but isn't there a
D3 or something?

Dave Newt January 12th 08 08:20 PM

ELL alternative route

MIG wrote:
On 11 Jan, 11:20, alex_t wrote:
In reality of course, the replacement buses are presumably there for
political reasons and serve almost no purpose that I can think of,
certainly south of the river.

The best replacement bus is between Canada Water and Rotherhithe - it
is probably quicker to walk then to ride a bus... almost the same
Surrey Quays. In fact the only valuable replacement bus is the Wapping
one.

I suspected that it might be the case for Wapping, but isn't there a
D3 or something?

From what I've seen, overyone get the 100 to Liverpool Street or the D3
instead - nobody ever seems to be on the Wapping replacement. Putting
more 100s on would have been nice.

Neil Williams January 13th 08 03:55 AM

ELL alternative route

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:20:16 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

From what I've seen, overyone get the 100 to Liverpool Street or the D3
instead - nobody ever seems to be on the Wapping replacement. Putting
more 100s on would have been nice.

Or bigger buses - whenever I see one it's rammed. Is there a bridge
that won't fit deckers under? Could bendies perhaps be useful?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Dave Newt January 13th 08 11:44 AM

ELL alternative route

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:20:16 +0000, Dave Newt
wrote:

From what I've seen, overyone get the 100 to Liverpool Street or the D3
instead - nobody ever seems to be on the Wapping replacement. Putting
more 100s on would have been nice.

Or bigger buses - whenever I see one it's rammed. Is there a bridge
that won't fit deckers under?

Not sure, but I wonder if it's to do with the cobbled and narrow Wapping
High Street...