Old January 9th 08, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Megabus/trains getting off early??

Have relatives in Guildford, and would like to visit more often. A
cheap day return is £11.50. But looking at megabus.com I can get a
train ticket for Portsmouth which stops at Guildford on the way. Is
there anything stopping me from booking with megabus far in advance
and getting the ticket for £2 return and using it to get to Guildford
and back again? Also how would I explain it to the guide at the ticket
barrier? Many thanks,

Old January 9th 08, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Jan, 23:14, Dave wrote:
Have relatives in Guildford, and would like to visit more often. A
cheap day return is £11.50. But looking at megabus.com I can get a
train ticket for Portsmouth which stops at Guildford on the way. Is
there anything stopping me from booking with megabus far in advance
and getting the ticket for £2 return and using it to get to Guildford
and back again? Also how would I explain it to the guide at the ticket
barrier? Many thanks,

[assuming you're travelling from London]

With a Megatrain ticket alone, this wouldn't be allowed - the ticket
would become void when you left the train at Guildford, and therefore
you'd be in line for a penalty fare at the barrier.

However, it would be perfectly legitimate for you to also purchase a
£3.30 CDR from Woking to Guildford before boarding the train at
Waterloo (all London - Guildford - Portsmouth trains stop at Woking,
barring weird engineering chaos), and use that to escape the
station... this way, there is no part of your journey that isn't
covered by a valid ticket, just some parts that are double-covered.

You'd probably /get away/ with purchasing a £2.30 CDR from Shalford to
Guildford, which I think is the cheapest return fare it's possible to
get to/from Guildford, but this would be a bit higher-risk if you were
manually inspected (since nobody in their right mind would actually
make that journey, and you'd have clearly got off the wrong train for
it). You're not necessarily in the wrong, since you haven't actually /
travelled/ anywhere without a valid ticket, but I'm not sure I'd want
to chance the argument.

In any case, the main problem would be the return trip - I don't know
how strictly the rules are enforced on board, but officially if you
don't turn up at Pompey for your return leg, the ticket is completely
void and so you wouldn't have a valid ticket between (Guildford/Woking
depending on strategy above) and London.

NB I also have relatives in Guildford and make this journey relatively
often. If you have a Z12 Gold Card, it costs £6.20 (ticket from either
Clapham Junction or BZ2, plus 1/3 discount). If it's a Gold Card that
covers more zones, the journey will probably be even cheaper. If not,
then you might still benefit from a Network Railcard, which would cut
the price from Waterloo to £10 on weekdays and £7.70 at weekends.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old January 9th 08, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
On 9 Jan, 23:14, Dave wrote:
Have relatives in Guildford, and would like to visit more often. A
cheap day return is £11.50. But looking at megabus.com I can get a
train ticket for Portsmouth which stops at Guildford on the way. Is
there anything stopping me from booking with megabus far in advance
and getting the ticket for £2 return and using it to get to Guildford
and back again?

It's disallowed under the rules.

However, it would be perfectly legitimate for you to also purchase a
£3.30 CDR from Woking to Guildford before boarding the train at
Waterloo (all London - Guildford - Portsmouth trains stop at Woking,
barring weird engineering chaos), and use that to escape the
station... this way, there is no part of your journey that isn't
covered by a valid ticket, just some parts that are double-covered.

I wouldn't recommend trying this. The railways regularly manage to catch
people who do things like buy Woking-Guildford tickets when they started
at London. If you get caught in one of those stings, then they'd want to
see that you have a valid ticket London-Woking. You don't.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old January 9th 08, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Jan, 00:17, Michael Hoffman wrote:
[...]

The railways catch people who buy Woking-Guildford tickets when they
started at London by carrying out ticket checks between London and
Woking. At which point, our man has a perfectly valid Megatrain
ticket.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old January 10th 08, 01:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
[...]

That's not what I'm talking about.
--
Michael Hoffman

Old January 10th 08, 05:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Jan, 23:51, John B wrote:
On 9 Jan, 23:14, Dave wrote:

[...]

Great thanks for the advice. I suppose the only problem I have is
getting in and out of the station at Guildford. I suppose as you said
I could buy the cheapest ticket from anywhere to Guildford just so I
get out the ticket barrier. Then on my return journey I could just buy
the cheapest ticket to any station from Guildford. It's a cool plan as
long as I get on the right trains to and from Portsmouth. Yes, sorry I
am travelling from London Waterloo.

Thanks for your help.
Old January 10th 08, 07:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave" wrote in message
On 9 Jan, 23:51, John B wrote:
On 9 Jan, 23:14, Dave wrote:

[...]

I think you've missed the point that you can't use the return portion of the
megatrain because you aren't boarding at Pompey.

Michael

Old January 10th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Jan, 08:40, "Michael Hopkins" noSPAM@NOspam wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Great thanks for the advice. I suppose the only problem I have is
getting in and out of the station at Guildford. I suppose as you said
I could buy the cheapest ticket from anywhere to Guildford just so I
get out the ticket barrier. Then on my return journey I could just buy
the cheapest ticket to any station from Guildford. It's a cool plan as
long as I get on the right trains to and from Portsmouth. Yes, sorry I
am travelling from London Waterloo.

I think you've missed the point that you can't use the return portion of the
megatrain because you aren't boarding at Pompey.

Indeed - this is a real risk, especially if the SWT guard stops you
between Woking and London rather than Guildford and Woking (more
likely, given that the latter is only a 5 minute journey), as then you
won't have a valid ticket covering the journey you're on and will have
to pay a penalty fare.

I suppose you could try and find the guard between Guildford and
Woking and ask him if he minds, at least that way the worst that can
happen is you have to pay for a single from Woking to London.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old January 10th 08, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Jan, 02:02, Michael Hoffman wrote:
I wouldn't recommend trying this. The railways regularly manage to catch
people who do things like buy Woking-Guildford tickets when they started
at London. If you get caught in one of those stings, then they'd want to
see that you have a valid ticket London-Woking. You don't.

The railways catch people who buy Woking-Guildford tickets when they
started at London by carrying out ticket checks between London and
Woking. At which point, our man has a perfectly valid Megatrain
ticket.

That's not what I'm talking about.

Hmm. I understand the /kind/ of operations you're talking about, but
they're extremely unlikely to be relevant he SWT Portsmouth
services always have a ticket check between London and Woking, so
there's absolutely no point in carrying out the kind of raids that it /
is/ worth doing between barriered stations on OPO trains.

(in any case, the problem for the OP in this case isn't being caught
in a raid, because there is no point on the journey when he doesn't
have a valid ticket. It's just about not getting into a fight with the
chap on the barriers)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old January 10th 08, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:

Hmm. I understand the /kind/ of operations you're talking about, but
they're extremely unlikely to be relevant he SWT Portsmouth
services always have a ticket check between London and Woking, so
there's absolutely no point in carrying out the kind of raids that it /
is/ worth doing between barriered stations on OPO trains.

Except to catch this kind of thing.

(in any case, the problem for the OP in this case isn't being caught
in a raid, because there is no point on the journey when he doesn't
have a valid ticket.

He doesn't have a valid ticket London-Woking. It just won't be possible
to prove that until after-the-fact.
--
Michael Hoffman