London Banter

-   -   Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train) (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6086-last-unpainted-d-stock-last.html)

[email protected] January 11th 08 02:44 PM

Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

The last unrefurbished D Stock train is scheduled to operate on the
District Line on 21st February 2007. This will bring to an end the era
of unpainted aluminium UndergrounD trains which first began in 1949
(and also on the District Line with the R49 Stock).

Workings should be as train 106 ex-Upminster Depot at 16:08 and
finishing at Ealing Common Depot at 00:33.

The "silver" UndergrounD train was seen as the future in the late-40s,
perhaps almost space age; alas brought down by the importation of New
York-style graffiti crime in the 1980s.

[email protected] January 11th 08 05:18 PM

On Jan 11, 3:44*pm, wrote:
The last unrefurbished D Stock train is scheduled to operate on the
District Line on 21st February 2007. This will bring to an end the era
of unpainted aluminium UndergrounD trains which first began in 1949
(and also on the District Line with the R49 Stock).

Workings should be as train 106 ex-Upminster Depot at 16:08 and
finishing at Ealing Common Depot at 00:33.

The "silver" UndergrounD train was seen as the future in the late-40s,
perhaps almost space age; alas brought down by the importation of New
York-style graffiti crime in the 1980s.

I'm sorry to spoil your thunder, but both the date and the duration of
the event is incorrect - I should know - I will be one of the I/ops
involved in the running.

The final details and date are yet to be agreed.

Information will be advertised when finalised.

Colin Rosenstiel January 11th 08 05:26 PM

Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

In article
,
() wrote:

The last unrefurbished D Stock train is scheduled to operate on the
District Line on 21st February 2007. This will bring to an end the era
of unpainted aluminium UndergrounD trains which first began in 1949
(and also on the District Line with the R49 Stock).

Workings should be as train 106 ex-Upminster Depot at 16:08 and
finishing at Ealing Common Depot at 00:33.

The "silver" UndergrounD train was seen as the future in the late-40s,
perhaps almost space age; alas brought down by the importation of New
York-style graffiti crime in the 1980s.

Shame! In fact the first unpainted train entered service in 1952. The
original trial was of just one R49 car. I don't think that was as early
as 1949 either. The R stock is another case of the years in the stock
codes representing more aspiration than fact. The programme to switch all
R stock trains to silver (mostly painted) wasn't completed until 1965.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 11th 08 05:31 PM

Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

Actually I'm glad my info is incorrect. Let's hope the last working is
an all-day runner/early stow so that it can be seen in daylight. Be
nice if the last train can be spruced up - shoebeams repainted,
original all-red roundels restored. Well I can dream!

[email protected] January 11th 08 07:38 PM

On Jan 11, 6:31*pm, wrote:
Actually I'm glad my info is incorrect. Let's hope the last working is
an all-day runner/early stow so that it can be seen in daylight. Be
nice if the last train can be spruced up - shoebeams repainted,
original all-red roundels restored. Well I can dream!

I'm afraid you probably are dreaming i a number of respects.

For accurate information find the appropriate thread on the forum
related to my web site; I'm sure you'll understand that I can only
undertake to be as accurate as I am able in one place.

Colin Rosenstiel January 11th 08 09:59 PM

() wrote:

For accurate information find the appropriate thread on the forum
related to my web site; I'm sure you'll understand that I can only
undertake to be as accurate as I am able in one place.

You're going to have the URL there. The only site I can find through
Google regards 2005 as "latest".

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard J.[_2_] January 11th 08 10:33 PM

Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article
,
() wrote:

For accurate information find the appropriate thread on the forum
related to my web site; I'm sure you'll understand that I can only
undertake to be as accurate as I am able in one place.

You're going to have the URL there. The only site I can find through
Google regards 2005 as "latest".

As Dave said, look at the forum, not the main site.
--
Richard J.

Colin Rosenstiel January 11th 08 11:04 PM

Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article

,
() wrote:

For accurate information find the appropriate thread on the forum
related to my web site; I'm sure you'll understand that I can only
undertake to be as accurate as I am able in one place.

You're going to have the URL there. The only site I can find
through Google regards 2005 as "latest".

As Dave said, look at the forum, not the main site.

URL? Since I do much of my Usenet reading offline I don;t tend to use web
forums.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG January 11th 08 11:40 PM

Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

On Jan 11, 6:26*pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article
,

() wrote:
[...]

I always assumed that the years in the stock codes were based on
orders rather than introduction. Like the D78 stock first being
introduced in 1980.

James Farrar January 12th 08 12:44 AM

Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:04 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article

,
() wrote:

For accurate information find the appropriate thread on the forum
related to my web site; I'm sure you'll understand that I can only
undertake to be as accurate as I am able in one place.

You're going to have the URL there. The only site I can find
through Google regards 2005 as "latest".

As Dave said, look at the forum, not the main site.

URL? Since I do much of my Usenet reading offline I don;t tend to use web
forums.

http://districtdave.proboards39.com/...d=120 0067784

Easily findable through googling districtdave forum.