London Banter

-   -   W Thamesmead (Belmarsh on river) to Bishopsgate & Bermondsey (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6262-w-thamesmead-belmarsh-river-bishopsgate.html)

kenw March 1st 08 07:43 AM

W Thamesmead (Belmarsh on river) to Bishopsgate & Bermondsey

Sorry to be a bore, but we're planning a move to West Thamesmead
(that's the area between HMP Belmarsh and the river, not the original
T'mead).

For Mrs W, journey planner suggests 380 or 244 to Plumstead, train to
London Br then bus/walk over the bridge to Bishopsgate (on foot short
cut to her office in Devonshire Sq)

For me, likewise to Plm then 472 to North Greenwich for the Jubilee to
Bermondsey.

Any better ideas?

BTW if anyone is in that area and gets hungry the pub opposite the
prison [? ex Chef & B?] has had a big refurb and now does a passable
carvery for just £3.99 Mon-Sat. I gather this is the "latest" format
from M&B. A case of back to the future?

Thanxalot

Ken W

John Rowland March 1st 08 08:39 AM

kenw wrote:
Sorry to be a bore, but we're planning a move to West Thamesmead
(that's the area between HMP Belmarsh and the river, not the original
T'mead).

For Mrs W, journey planner suggests 380 or 244 to Plumstead, train to
London Br then bus/walk over the bridge to Bishopsgate (on foot short
cut to her office in Devonshire Sq)

For me, likewise to Plm then 472 to North Greenwich for the Jubilee to
Bermondsey.

Any better ideas?

BTW if anyone is in that area and gets hungry the pub opposite the
prison [? ex Chef & B?] has had a big refurb and now does a passable
carvery for just £3.99 Mon-Sat. I gather this is the "latest" format
from M&B. A case of back to the future?

I saw a programme (Despatches, I think) about a woman who bought a flat in
Tideslea Path for 300 grand which turned out to be only worth 200 grand...
It seems like the area is as bad as the original Thamesmead.

Mizter T March 1st 08 11:50 AM

On 1 Mar, 08:43, kenw wrote:
Sorry to be a bore, but we're planning a move to West Thamesmead
(that's the area between HMP Belmarsh and the river, not the original
T'mead).

For Mrs W, journey planner suggests 380 or 244 to Plumstead, train to
London Br then bus/walk over the bridge to Bishopsgate (on foot short
cut to her office in Devonshire Sq)

Sounds good.

For me, likewise to Plm then 472 to North Greenwich for the Jubilee to
Bermondsey.

Any better ideas?

You could stay on the 244/380 to Woolwich town centre, from where you
can catch both the 472 and the 161 to North Greenwich.

You could also get on the train to London Bridge and then backtrack -
either via the Jubilee to Bermondsey or on a mainline (Southern) train
to South Bermondsey - though this would involve going via zone 1 so
would cost more.

You could also take the train from Plumstead to Charlton and then take
the 161, 472 or 476 to North Greenwich.

A simpler option might be to take the train from Plumstead to
Deptford, walk up to the top of Deptford High Street then take the 47
or 188 into Bermondsey

*In the future* you'll be able to take the DLR from Woolwich Arsenal
station under the river to Canning Town, then change to the Jubilee
line to get you to Bermondsey. The DLR Woolwich Extension will open at
some point in 2009.

In the meantime I dare say the easiest way might be via Deptford. The
buses will be busy, but I'm pretty sure that there are bus lanes for
most of the journey.

MIG March 1st 08 01:02 PM

On Mar 1, 12:50*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 1 Mar, 08:43, kenw wrote:

[...]

Yes there are. By the time of the move, maybe they'll have finished
the road works in Evelyn street.

It can go wrong very easily of course. Yesterday they were trimming
trees near Surrey Quays, resulting in gridlock back beyond Deptford.