Old March 7th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default An everyday story of Underground folk - Any idea where the green roofis?

http://londonist.com/2008/03/what_goes_on_be.php

Interesting little piece on tube refurbishment?

Old March 7th 08, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:34:00 -0800 (PST), Mwmbwls
wrote:

http://londonist.com/2008/03/what_goes_on_be.php

Interesting little piece on tube refurbishment?

The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen a
photo of it.

A classic piece of Tube Lines self promotion and riddled with their own
interpretation of who is responsible for what. The public might well
drop litter that can go down tunnels. However contractually it is TLL's
responsibility to ensure the place is clean and if there's a disruption
as a result they take the financial hit.

I think I might even know who Laura is too.
--
Paul C

Old March 8th 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

http://londonist.com/2008/03/what_goes_on_be.php

Interesting little piece on tube refurbishment?

The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen a
photo of it.

Some interesting different images on the mapping sites:

Google Maps
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3789/57975984zm0.jpg

Live Maps
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/417/20605559tm8.jpg

Live Maps with Bird's Eye View
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/6751/93643110yq1.jpg
Old March 8th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:53:34 on
Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Paul Corfield remarked:
The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen a
photo of it.

I've been in the old one, at Euston, about 20 years ago. Was any attempt
made to preserve anything from the old control room?
Old March 8th 08, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:22:46 on Sat, 8
Mar 2008, Dave Newt remarked:
Interesting little piece on tube refurbishment?

The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen
photo of it.

Some interesting different images on the mapping sites:

Google Maps
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3789/57975984zm0.jpg

Live Maps
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/417/20605559tm8.jpg

Live Maps with Bird's Eye View
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/6751/93643110yq1.jpg

Who'd-a-thunk it? Building a top secret bunker at an undisclosed
location right next to the depot ;-)

Old March 8th 08, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:49:22 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 19:53:34 on
Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Paul Corfield remarked:
The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen a
photo of it.

I've been in the old one, at Euston, about 20 years ago. Was any attempt
made to preserve anything from the old control room?

Oh it's all preserved and still in daily use to run the Victoria and
Northern Lines! The operation hasn't moved across yet - not sure when
it is prorgammed for. I understand the new Vic Control Room is very
close to being ready.
--
Paul C

Old March 8th 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Mwmbwls wrote:

Interesting little piece on tube refurbishment?

The green roof is here, and 45 ha in size:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.571122%2C-0.101366

Underneath that is the London depot of the S******** R******.

tom

--
Big Bang. No god. Fadeout. End. -- Stephen Baxter
Old March 8th 08, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

http://londonist.com/2008/03/what_goes_on_be.php

Interesting little piece on tube refurbishment?

The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen a
photo of it.

Some interesting different images on the mapping sites:

Google Maps
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3789/57975984zm0.jpg

Live Maps
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/417/20605559tm8.jpg

Live Maps with Bird's Eye View
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/6751/93643110yq1.jpg

Good work!

Hmm. I wonder if the advent of easily-accessible aerial photography will
lead to a surge in green roof use, as a way of hiding buildings from the
public? Just building your vast new warehouse somewhere out of the way
will no longer be sufficient to avoid public outcry; you'll need to make
it less obvious from the air as well.

tom

--
Big Bang. No god. Fadeout. End. -- Stephen Baxter
Old March 8th 08, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , at 19:53:34 on
Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Paul Corfield remarked:
The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen a
photo of it.

I've been in the old one, at Euston, about 20 years ago. Was any attempt
made to preserve anything from the old control room?

Oh it's all preserved and still in daily use to run the Victoria and
Northern Lines!

Arguably, it *hasn't* been preserved and is still in daily use to run the

Old March 8th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , at 19:53:34 on
Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Paul Corfield remarked:
The green roof is at the new Northern Line control centre. I've seen a
photo of it.

I've been in the old one, at Euston, about 20 years ago. Was any attempt
made to preserve anything from the old control room?

Oh it's all preserved and still in daily use to run the Victoria and
Northern Lines!

Arguably, it *hasn't* been preserved and is still in daily use to run the
Victoria and Northern Lines!

Arguably my comment was tongue in cheek and perhaps a reference to the
fact that I doubt it has changed much since Roland visited it 20 years
ago.

sheesh!
--
Paul C