Old March 29th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly line this morning

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:55:30 GMT, wrote this
gibberish:

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
news
Sorry for tagging onto this but I don't see Mr Boltar's posts anymore (as
it helps my blood pressure!) but he's wrong.

A PEA activation applies emergency brakes. There is an override, but the
brakes do apply in the first instance.

Does it apply the emergency brakes only when a train is still in the station
or between stations as well? I'm surprised to hear that a PEA activation can
cause a train to go into emergency as I thought TfL had elminiated this
because it is much more difficult to actually get to or from the train if
between stations.

I've seen notices that imply this, perhaps the train knows when it's
physically in a station and is automatic until it leaves.

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Old March 29th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"MarkVarley - MVP" wrote in message

I've seen notices that imply this, perhaps the train knows when it's
physically in a station and is automatic until it leaves.

Perhaps that is the case as some models of trains have a pretty fast pick up
and perhaps the driver won't be able to react quickly enough to an alarm if
part of the train is still in the station.

I'm sure that it's quite easy for a train to tell if it is still in the
platform.

Old March 29th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 29, 10:19 am, wrote:
"MarkVarley - MVP" wrote in messagenews:1i3su3l4mnujt4fomcdclu3mvanq5rpum4@4ax .com...

I've seen notices that imply this, perhaps the train knows when it's
physically in a station and is automatic until it leaves.

Perhaps that is the case as some models of trains have a pretty fast pick up
and perhaps the driver won't be able to react quickly enough to an alarm if
part of the train is still in the station.

I'm sure that it's quite easy for a train to tell if it is still in the
platform.

Blimey, how high tech do you think the tube is! :-)

There are count up markers showing how far the train is out when it is
leaving a station. If a Passenger Emergency Alarm is activated whilst
within the last one then the train must stop and the PEA should be
investigated.
If activated between stations outside of the count up markers, then it
should continue to the next station, where it will be investigated.
On some line; Metropolitan and Circle and District are three, the
operation of the PEA will apply the brakes and operate audible and
visual warnings in the cab. Once they have been released, a Brake
Overide Device, a foot plunger can be operated so that the train can
continue to the next station.
On some line, I believe the Jubilee to be one, the train brake will
not apply if the alarm is acknowledged, and then some lines have the
benefit of knowing what car the alarm has been operated in, so station
staff can get to the operated alarm quicker, plus some also have a
talkback so the train operator can talk with the person who has
operated, to gleam further information.
Old March 29th 08, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"chunky munky" wrote in message
On Mar 29, 10:19 am, wrote:

I'm sure that it's quite easy for a train to tell if it is still in the
platform.

Blimey, how high tech do you think the tube is! :-)

Not sure, really, but I do think that it's not doing too badly if doors
won't open if the train is not properly berthed at the platform.

There are count up markers showing how far the train is out when it is
leaving a station. If a Passenger Emergency Alarm is activated whilst
within the last one then the train must stop and the PEA should be
investigated.

I know. I was just wondering, based on previous posts, if the train might
automatically brake if part of it is in the station when a PEA is activated
as it might take a driver a few seconds to realise what the alarm is and to
take appropriate reaction.

If activated between stations outside of the count up markers, then it
should continue to the next station, where it will be investigated.

On some line; Metropolitan and Circle and District are three, the
operation of the PEA will apply the brakes and operate audible and
visual warnings in the cab.

Didn't know that. I had previously thought that a PEA would never activate
emergency brakes. And I guess I am surprised that LU keep that feature. Is
it not easy to deactivate?

On some line, I believe the Jubilee to be one, the train brake will
not apply if the alarm is acknowledged, and then some lines have the
benefit of knowing what car the alarm has been operated in, so station
staff can get to the operated alarm quicker, plus some also have a
talkback so the train operator can talk with the person who has
operated, to gleam further information.

The guard light on Central line stock apparently flashes when the PEA is
activated, I think. Are those 92 or 93 rolling stock? I can't remember.

Old March 29th 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, chunky munky wrote:

On Mar 29, 10:19 am, wrote:
"MarkVarley - MVP" wrote in messagenews:1i3su3l4mnujt4fomcdclu3mvanq5rpum4@4ax .com...

I've seen notices that imply this, perhaps the train knows when it's
physically in a station and is automatic until it leaves.

Perhaps that is the case as some models of trains have a pretty fast pick up
and perhaps the driver won't be able to react quickly enough to an alarm if
part of the train is still in the station.

I'm sure that it's quite easy for a train to tell if it is still in the
platform.

Blimey, how high tech do you think the tube is! :-)

The Victoria line can do it, can't it? I'm sure if read that it will do
exactly that stop-only-if-in-a-station behaviour. I assume other ATO lines
will do it, but i won't be surprised to hear that the manual lines don't.

tom

--
It's not even just bad. It's Waterworld bad, it's Iraq-occupation bad,
it's '62 Mets bad. -- robotslave
Old March 29th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Mar, 17:59, wrote:
Blimey, how high tech do you think the tube is! :-)

Not sure, really, but I do think that it's not doing too badly if doors
won't open if the train is not properly berthed at the platform.

They do indeed detect whether the train is in the right place to open
the doors, but not whether any part of the train is still in the
platform, which is what the countdown markers are for.

"chunky munky" wrote in message
On some line, I believe the Jubilee to be one, the train brake will
not apply if the alarm is acknowledged, and then some lines have the
benefit of knowing what car the alarm has been operated in, so station
staff can get to the operated alarm quicker, plus some also have a
talkback so the train operator can talk with the person who has
operated, to gleam further information.

I think it's trains with talkback that don't have automatic brake
operation.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London