Old March 28th 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly line this morning

Anyone know what caused the westbound Piccadilly line to be so bad
this morning? It took me nearly an hour and a half from Turnpike Lane
to Northfields starting just before 10am.

I know part of the delay was caused by a passenger alarm that caused
the train to stop about half a car short of the normal stopping point,
and that took more than 5 minutes to be resolved, but even after that
it was very slow... and the driver kept making announcements about
disruption to the eastbound service, which confused me!

Old March 28th 08, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"James Farrar" wrote in message
Anyone know what caused the westbound Piccadilly line to be so bad
this morning? It took me nearly an hour and a half from Turnpike Lane
to Northfields starting just before 10am.

I know part of the delay was caused by a passenger alarm that caused
the train to stop about half a car short of the normal stopping point,
and that took more than 5 minutes to be resolved, but even after that
it was very slow... and the driver kept making announcements about
disruption to the eastbound service, which confused me!

I believe a train caught fire at Wood Green eastbound about that time. This
in turn suspended the eastbound line.
Trains were terminating at Kings X and Hyde Pk Cnr so they were most
probably in the wrong place for the drivers relief.

Old March 28th 08, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 1:35 am, James Farrar wrote:
I know part of the delay was caused by a passenger alarm that caused
the train to stop about half a car short of the normal stopping point,

How did that happen? The alarms haven't been linked to the brakes
since the trains were refurbished AFAIK.

B2003

Old March 28th 08, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 28, 3:23 pm, Boltar wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:35 am, James Farrar wrote:

I know part of the delay was caused by a passenger alarm that caused
the train to stop about half a car short of the normal stopping point,

How did that happen? The alarms haven't been linked to the brakes
since the trains were refurbished AFAIK.

B2003

One train at Wood Green had smoke pouring out from under the car. This
turned out to be papers that had probably burnt from being wrapped
round traction current shoes and arcing.

In the opposite direction there was a passenger alarm on a train.

Also, just before this, there was a signal track circuit failure at
Turnham Green Eastbound, it turned out to be a metal bar, so some
services were held up in congestion as they applied their rule and
others ran down the local line.

As usual, keeping as many trains in service as possible (though at
least some were cancelled) meant that there were then train operator
relief issues and late running of up to an hour.
Old March 28th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:23:32 -0700 (PDT), Boltar
wrote:

On Mar 28, 1:35 am, James Farrar wrote:
I know part of the delay was caused by a passenger alarm that caused
the train to stop about half a car short of the normal stopping point,

How did that happen? The alarms haven't been linked to the brakes
since the trains were refurbished AFAIK.

Maybe "caused" is a bit strong, but the train stopped about half a car
short of the normal stopping point and the passenger alarm had been
operated.

Old March 28th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
chunky munky writes
On Mar 28, 3:23 pm, Boltar wrote:

[...]

Sorry for tagging onto this but I don't see Mr Boltar's posts anymore
(as it helps my blood pressure!) but he's wrong.

A PEA activation applies emergency brakes. There is an override, but
the brakes do apply in the first instance.
Old March 28th 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Mar, 17:31, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
Sorry for tagging onto this but I don't see Mr Boltar's posts anymore
(as it helps my blood pressure!) but he's wrong.

You wouldn't see many from me anyway since I don't have to use the
bloody tube anymore (or any of the poor excuse for public transport in
this city) to get to work which helps *my* blood pressure not to
mention preserving my sanity. Give me a car any day.

A PEA activation applies emergency brakes. There is an override, but
the brakes do apply in the first instance.

I was sure they'd removed that "feature". Oh well. Perhaps its only on
certain stock.

B2003

Old March 28th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
news
Sorry for tagging onto this but I don't see Mr Boltar's posts anymore (as
it helps my blood pressure!) but he's wrong.

A PEA activation applies emergency brakes. There is an override, but the
brakes do apply in the first instance.

Does it apply the emergency brakes only when a train is still in the station
or between stations as well? I'm surprised to hear that a PEA activation can
cause a train to go into emergency as I thought TfL had elminiated this
because it is much more difficult to actually get to or from the train if
between stations.

I recall a few years ago on the Northern Line that a PEA was activated. The
driver acknowledged that the activation and said that it would be
investigated at the next station, and the emergency brakes did not apply.
IIRC, the driver also did not open the doors until he had walked down and
found out what happened.

BTW, can drivers on 92 and 96 stock use their CCTV to see what is happening
inside the coaches? Will a PEA activate this feature?

Old March 28th 08, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Boltar" wrote in message

I was sure they'd removed that "feature". Oh well. Perhaps its only on
certain stock.

I don't think that it is on tube lines, so perhaps on the sub-surface ones?