Old March 28th 08, 05:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Credit Cards

On Mar 28, 11:10*am, Mizter T wrote:
On 28 Mar, 16:36, Ianigsy wrote:

Yes. AIUI debit cards use a different number range to credit cards.
Whether companies elsewhere in the world would be able to instantly
tell the difference between a UK issued debit and credit card is
another question.

Yes again- having spoken to somebody who works in the fraud risk
department of a bank, the UK is only just moving to a system of having
the same number of digits in a debit card number as the rest of the
world. *Prior to that it wasn't possible to use a UK-issued debit card
for online transactions processed abroad as foreign systems wouldn't
accept our account numbers.

I think the issue you're referring to on concerns Switch debit cards,
which have now been rebranded Maestro, which used a different
numbering system but I believe are now 'switching over' to the
worldwide standard (16 principal digits).

Visa debit cards (aka Visa delta) have always complied with the global
standard, as have their online authorisation only sibling Visa
Electron.

I'm not quite sure what the story is with regards to Switch's online
authorisation only sibling the Solo card and their compliance or
otherwise with regards to the worldwide standard.

Thank you for the interesting responses. Most of my cards are with US
institutions, others are with UK banks. I had been using Credit and
Debit cards for similar transactions, both domestically and
internationally, without problems.

Adrian

Old March 28th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:27:01 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote this gibberish:

Mizter T (Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Yes again- having spoken to somebody who works in the fraud risk
department of a bank, the UK is only just moving to a system of having
the same number of digits in a debit card number as the rest of the
world. Prior to that it wasn't possible to use a UK-issued debit card
for online transactions processed abroad as foreign systems wouldn't
accept our account numbers.

I think the issue you're referring to on concerns Switch debit cards,
which have now been rebranded Maestro, which used a different numbering
system but I believe are now 'switching over' to the worldwide standard
(16 principal digits).

It's going to be a while yet until that's complete...
looks at own Maestro (not Switch) card
Expires late 2010, 18 digits.

The long digit, in my card's case at least, is just the four-digit issuer
prefix, then the sort code and account number...

Trivia time - it's easy to identify a card type by the first digit.
3-Amex/Diners/JCB, 4-Visa, 5-Mastercard, 6-Maestro.

hmm, I have a savings account card which starts with a 5, I wonder if
it'll work paying for stuff...

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Old April 1st 08, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:36:05AM -0700, Ianigsy wrote:

Yes again- having spoken to somebody who works in the fraud risk
department of a bank, the UK is only just moving to a system of having
the same number of digits in a debit card number as the rest of the
world.

Uhh, the only card I've ever had that didn't have 16 digits was ... a
visa credit card (Barclays, 13 digits), many years ago.

Methinks you misunderstood something.

You can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter"
Old April 1st 08, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Apr, 12:47, David Cantrell wrote:

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:36:05AM -0700, Ianigsy wrote:
Yes again- having spoken to somebody who works in the fraud risk
department of a bank, the UK is only just moving to a system of having
the same number of digits in a debit card number as the rest of the
world.

Uhh, the only card I've ever had that didn't have 16 digits was ... a
visa credit card (Barclays, 13 digits), many years ago.

Methinks you misunderstood something.

I strongly suspect he is referring to UK Switch (now branded Maestro)
cards which until very recently were issued with (I think) a 19 digit
principal number. UK issued Maestro cards are now being switched over
to the 16 digit standard.

I can't remember the details but this has caused a number of problems
- I think it was that holders of the old-standard UK Maestro cards
could run into trouble using them abroad.
Old April 1st 08, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T (Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I strongly suspect he is referring to UK Switch (now branded Maestro)
cards which until very recently were issued with (I think) a 19 digit
principal number. UK issued Maestro cards are now being switched over to
the 16 digit standard.

My UK Maestro-branded debit card (expires late 2010, issued last year
IIRC) is on 19 digits.

I can't remember the details but this has caused a number of problems -
I think it was that holders of the old-standard UK Maestro cards could
run into trouble using them abroad.

I know I have in the past, but it's not exactly a Maestro-standard thing.
We got the third degree in a Carrefour trying to use a UK Visa card over
Easter... And don't even go near French automated petrol pumps... groan

Old April 1st 08, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Apr, 13:51, Adrian wrote:

Mizter T (Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I strongly suspect he is referring to UK Switch (now branded Maestro)
cards which until very recently were issued with (I think) a 19 digit
principal number. UK issued Maestro cards are now being switched over to
the 16 digit standard.

My UK Maestro-branded debit card (expires late 2010, issued last year
IIRC) is on 19 digits.

I can't remember the details but this has caused a number of problems -
I think it was that holders of the old-standard UK Maestro cards could
run into trouble using them abroad.

I know I have in the past, but it's not exactly a Maestro-standard thing.
We got the third degree in a Carrefour trying to use a UK Visa card over
Easter... And don't even go near French automated petrol pumps... groan

I really can't see what was wrong with using a UK Visa card there -
was it a debit or credit card? I certainly can't recalls Carrefour
being one of these retailers that only accepts debit cards (and not
credit cards), nor do I think they impose a credit card surcharge.
Old April 1st 08, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T (Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I can't remember the details but this has caused a number of problems
- I think it was that holders of the old-standard UK Maestro cards
could run into trouble using them abroad.

I know I have in the past, but it's not exactly a Maestro-standard
thing. We got the third degree in a Carrefour trying to use a UK Visa
card over Easter... And don't even go near French automated petrol
pumps... groan

I really can't see what was wrong with using a UK Visa card there - was
it a debit or credit card? I certainly can't recalls Carrefour being one
of these retailers that only accepts debit cards (and not credit cards),
nor do I think they impose a credit card surcharge.

Credit card. A couple of 'em, in fact - one UK Visa, one UK M/card. It
wasn't a _card_ issue so much as a policy issue. We were asked if they
were foreign cards - store security were called over to examine the
cards, our IDs and give an OK.
Old April 1st 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Apr, 14:57, Adrian wrote:

Mizter T (Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

[...] We got the third degree in a Carrefour trying to use a UK Visa
card over Easter... And don't even go near French automated petrol
pumps... groan

I really can't see what was wrong with using a UK Visa card there - was
it a debit or credit card? I certainly can't recalls Carrefour being one
of these retailers that only accepts debit cards (and not credit cards),
nor do I think they impose a credit card surcharge.

Credit card. A couple of 'em, in fact - one UK Visa, one UK M/card. It
wasn't a _card_ issue so much as a policy issue. We were asked if they
were foreign cards - store security were called over to examine the
cards, our IDs and give an OK.

OK, that makes a bit more sense - even though it sounds a bit of a
silly policy. Then again perhaps this store had had several problems
with fraud and non-French credit/debit cards.

I'd have been a bit stuffed in a similar situation - I don't normally
carry around any specific ID documentation (driving licence, passport)
on my person.
Old April 1st 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T (Mizter T ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Credit card. A couple of 'em, in fact - one UK Visa, one UK M/card. It
wasn't a _card_ issue so much as a policy issue. We were asked if they
were foreign cards - store security were called over to examine the
cards, our IDs and give an OK.

OK, that makes a bit more sense - even though it sounds a bit of a silly
policy. Then again perhaps this store had had several problems with
fraud and non-French credit/debit cards.

Mebbe. It must cause 'em plenty of hassle, though - it was a _huge_
store, right on an Autoroute junction in Reims, so well on the tourist
trail. Never had it in other supermarkets in France, small or large, more
or less on the foreigner routes.

I'd have been a bit stuffed in a similar situation - I don't normally
carry around any specific ID documentation (driving licence, passport)
on my person.

pats photocard driving licence fondly
Old April 1st 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Apr, 15:20, Adrian wrote:

[...]

Oh, I've got one of them, I just don't normally carry it around with
me - should it get lost and stolen, especially if it's in a wallet
alongside with bank cards, then it increases the risk of identity
theft and all that malarkey. (I also don't like the idea of carrying
round a de-facto ID card as well.)

When I'm driving to France I'd definitely take it, and I suppose most
of the time it'd stay in my wallet for the duration of my trip. That
said I've certainly been out driving in France without my wallet and
hence without my driving licence, and on at least one occasion I
didn't take it out to France at all as I'd mislaid it. TBH I've no
idea whether it is actually compulsory to carry a driving licence
whilst driving in France - advisable perhaps, but is it a legal
requirement? If so then I've broken the law many a time!