Old April 1st 08, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More Overground trains

Seems like TfL have exercised all their options for Class 378s with
another 7 ordered.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7821.aspx

No idea how that relates to the "1300 extra carriages" but a 7-8 min
service on the core section of the NLL will be a pretty impressive
frequency.

--
Paul C

Old April 1st 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

Seems like TfL have exercised all their options for Class 378s with
another 7 ordered.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7821.aspx

I notice that these trains will have "state-of-the-art heating and
air-conditioning systems, look and feel of Tube trains and be
walk-through, without doors between carriages", which sounds just like
the new S Stock trains. Are there any other similarities? I know these
trains are shorter (4 vs 7/8 carriages), but they sound quite similar in
other respects, including where they're being built.

Old April 1st 08, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Apr, 22:43, Paul Corfield wrote:

Seems like TfL have exercised all their options for Class 378s with
another 7 ordered.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7821.aspx

No idea how that relates to the "1300 extra carriages" but a 7-8 min
service on the core section of the NLL will be a pretty impressive
frequency.

Excellent news, though to be honest given both the great popularity of
the NLL route and the copious potential for attracting more custom -
or indeed, perhaps I should say the significant level of currently
suppressed demand - I don't think this is anything more than what is
justified for the NLL.

The irrepressible Mr Thant has had a tip off about the new NLL service
patterns and shares his discoveries with us grateful mortals here on
this blog post:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...e-upgrade.html

Though whether the freight trains traversing the NLL are going to stop
failing so as to enable this frequency to be delivered is another
question! I dare say TfL is already piling the pressure on EWS, GBRf
et al to try and ensure their trains don't break down and cause log
jams.
Old April 1st 08, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:

I notice that these trains will have "state-of-the-art heating and
air-conditioning systems, look and feel of Tube trains and be
walk-through, without doors between carriages", which sounds just like
the new S Stock trains. Are there any other similarities? I know these
trains are shorter (4 vs 7/8 carriages), but they sound quite similar
in other respects, including where they're being built.

No, there are no similarities between the Underground S stock and the class
378 Electrostars. The 378 is very much a suburban main-line design (the
almost identical class 376 has been operating on SouthEastern suburban
services for the past three years). I'm not sure about the "without doors
between carriages" bit, though, I'm sure that the 376 has doors either side
of the corridor connection. Perhaps it's felt that with such a regular
stopping pattern any draughts from the corridor connection would not be
significant.

Old April 2nd 08, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 1, 11:56 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
I notice that these trains will have "state-of-the-art heating and
air-conditioning systems, look and feel of Tube trains and be
walk-through, without doors between carriages", which sounds just like
the new S Stock trains. Are there any other similarities? I know these
trains are shorter (4 vs 7/8 carriages), but they sound quite similar
in other respects, including where they're being built.

No, there are no similarities between the Underground S stock and the class
378 Electrostars.

?!

While the S-stock certainly isn't an Electrostar, suggesting that the
Electrostar hasn't been one of key design inputs on which the S-stock
was based would be an utter and rather weird lie.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old April 2nd 08, 12:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Apr, 00:32, John B wrote:

On Apr 1, 11:56 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:

I notice that these trains will have "state-of-the-art heating and
air-conditioning systems, look and feel of Tube trains and be
walk-through, without doors between carriages", which sounds just like
the new S Stock trains. Are there any other similarities? I know these
trains are shorter (4 vs 7/8 carriages), but they sound quite similar
in other respects, including where they're being built.

No, there are no similarities between the Underground S stock and the class
378 Electrostars.

?!

While the S-stock certainly isn't an Electrostar, suggesting that the
Electrostar hasn't been one of key design inputs on which the S-stock
was based would be an utter and rather weird lie.

A "misunderstanding" (as opposed to a lie) would be a kinder and
perhaps more accurate way of putting it.
Old April 2nd 08, 01:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Mizter T wrote:

The irrepressible Mr Thant

ITYM Thant the Mighty. He's a cousin of Tharg of that ilk, on his
beta-mother's side.

At least that's what i heard.

tom

--
We don't contact anybody or seek anybody's permission for what we do. Even
if it's impersonating postal employees. -- Birdstuff
Old April 2nd 08, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

Seems like TfL have exercised all their options for Class 378s with
another 7 ordered.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7821.aspx

I notice that these trains will have "state-of-the-art heating and
air-conditioning systems, look and feel of Tube trains and be
walk-through, without doors between carriages", which sounds just like
the new S Stock trains. Are there any other similarities? I know these
trains are shorter (4 vs 7/8 carriages), but they sound quite similar
in other respects, including where they're being built.

I think the main similarities will be in the passenger information systems,
line coloured grab rails, longitudinal seating, strip line diagrams, central
area tube maps and alll the other stuff stuck on the bulkheads of existing
surface stock.

Someone posted a link to a TfL document defining the internal appearance of
the trains a while back, unfortunately it isn't easily found on the TfL
downloads website, as its not linked to anywhere. As usual.

Paul

Old April 2nd 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 1 Apr, 22:43, Paul Corfield wrote:

Seems like TfL have exercised all their options for Class 378s with
another 7 ordered.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/7821.aspx

No idea how that relates to the "1300 extra carriages" but a 7-8 min
service on the core section of the NLL will be a pretty impressive
frequency.

Mr Thant's blog reckons the figures don't add up when you take into account
the earlier announcement for 4 extra trains, and now this 7 extra. Could
there be an element of double announcing (like what the DfT do)?

Not sure about the impact on the famous 1300 - other than that the redundant
313s are probably earmarked as 'new trains' for somewhere far away...

Excellent news, though to be honest given both the great popularity of
the NLL route and the copious potential for attracting more custom -
or indeed, perhaps I should say the significant level of currently
suppressed demand - I don't think this is anything more than what is
justified for the NLL.

The irrepressible Mr Thant has had a tip off about the new NLL service
patterns and shares his discoveries with us grateful mortals here on
this blog post:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...e-upgrade.html

Though whether the freight trains traversing the NLL are going to stop
failing so as to enable this frequency to be delivered is another
question! I dare say TfL is already piling the pressure on EWS, GBRf
et al to try and ensure their trains don't break down and cause log
jams.

Mr Thant (who I once wondered might have been a pseudonym of Mizter T - or
vice versa!) led me via his blog to this puzzling document on the ORR site,
which refers to the capacity of the old trains as 500 per car and the new as
667 per car. Which is pretty cozy...

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pd..._appendix7.pdf

Not to mention the beginner's mistake in the use of percentages - 6000 to
10672 is not a 178% rise is it?...

Paul S