Old April 21st 08, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central line to be converted to AC?

On 21 Apr, 17:36, Joe Patrick
wrote:
It sounds like an April Fools joke but apparently TfL are considering
it.
http://tinyurl.com/5augle

Presumably if this were to go ahead the line would have to be closed for
an extended period.

"Range: between 90 000 000 and 130 000 000 GBP."

'Ow much?!?!?!

That's GBP1-1.5m per train, or GBP150-200k per carriage. Doesn't
sounds a million miles out...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old April 21st 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
09:52:48 on Mon, 21 Apr 2008, John B remarked:
"Range: between 90 000 000 and 130 000 000 GBP."

'Ow much?!?!?!

That's GBP1-1.5m per train, or GBP150-200k per carriage. Doesn't
sounds a million miles out...

For a couple of electric motors!!!!
Old April 21st 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Apr, 13:55, Andy wrote:
(per car). Having every axle motored generally allows better
acceleration, if all other things are equal. It will be interesting to
see how the Northern stock performs, once the trains are used to their
full potential.

Why arn't they using it already, what are they waiting for? The A
stock was doing 60 mph back in the 1960s with no ATO in sight.

B2003

Old April 21st 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Apr, 18:10, Roland Perry wrote:
That's GBP1-1.5m per train, or GBP150-200k per carriage. Doesn't
sounds a million miles out...

For a couple of electric motors!!!!

About 10% of the cost of a new carriage to replace the whole drive
system? Sounds pretty reasonable to me...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old April 21st 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
10:17:34 on Mon, 21 Apr 2008, John B remarked:
That's GBP1-1.5m per train, or GBP150-200k per carriage. Doesn't
sounds a million miles out...

For a couple of electric motors!!!!

About 10% of the cost of a new carriage to replace the whole drive
system? Sounds pretty reasonable to me...

Why "the whole drive system" ? I still think GBP50K for an electric
motor is a bit steep.

Old April 21st 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Apr, 18:30, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
10:17:34 on Mon, 21 Apr 2008, John B remarked:

That's GBP1-1.5m per train, or GBP150-200k per carriage. Doesn't
sounds a million miles out...

For a couple of electric motors!!!!

About 10% of the cost of a new carriage to replace the whole drive
system? Sounds pretty reasonable to me...

Why "the whole drive system" ? I still think GBP50K for an electric
motor is a bit steep.

You can't run AC motors using electronics designed for a DC system.
Though why they feel the need to change the traction package on
perfectly servicable still fairly new trains is another matter. I
can't imagine them saving 100M in electricity bills before thr trains
are life expired.

B2003
Old April 21st 08, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Apr, 18:58, Boltar wrote:
You can't run AC motors using electronics designed for a DC system.
Though why they feel the need to change the traction package on
perfectly servicable still fairly new trains is another matter. I
can't imagine them saving 100M in electricity bills before thr trains
are life expired.

Basically, because the DC motors weren't very reliable in the first
place and are now apparently completely f***ed - the choice isn't
"leave them or replace with AC", it's "persuade someone to build new
obsolete-but-not-knackered DC motors or replace with AC".

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old April 21st 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Apr, 19:37, John B wrote:
Basically, because the DC motors weren't very reliable in the first
place and are now apparently completely f***ed - the choice isn't
"leave them or replace with AC", it's "persuade someone to build new
obsolete-but-not-knackered DC motors or replace with AC".

If they're knackered already I wonder if they can get compensation
from the manufacturers (assuming they're still around) since I'm
pretty sure the design lifetime must have been lot more than 12 or so
years.

B2003

Old April 21st 08, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 21, 10:44 pm, Boltar wrote:
Basically, because the DC motors weren't very reliable in the first
place and are now apparently completely f***ed - the choice isn't
"leave them or replace with AC", it's "persuade someone to build new
obsolete-but-not-knackered DC motors or replace with AC".

If they're knackered already I wonder if they can get compensation
from the manufacturers (assuming they're still around) since I'm
pretty sure the design lifetime must have been lot more than 12 or so
years.

The trains were built by ABB/Adtranz (now Bombardier), but the
traction system was built by Brush. I've no idea how the legal
liability trail would work, or whether a court would hold that a 15-
year lifespan for the motors was unreasonable...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old April 22nd 08, 12:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Apr, 23:42, John B wrote:

On Apr 21, 10:44 pm, Boltar wrote:

Basically, because the DC motors weren't very reliable in the first
place and are now apparently completely f***ed - the choice isn't
"leave them or replace with AC", it's "persuade someone to build new
obsolete-but-not-knackered DC motors or replace with AC".

If they're knackered already I wonder if they can get compensation
from the manufacturers (assuming they're still around) since I'm
pretty sure the design lifetime must have been lot more than 12 or so
years.

The trains were built by ABB/Adtranz (now Bombardier), but the
traction system was built by Brush. I've no idea how the legal
liability trail would work, or whether a court would hold that a 15-
year lifespan for the motors was unreasonable...

Perhaps LU compromised somewhat on the motors?