Old May 7th 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Johnson unveils Tube alcohol ban

On May 7, 11:54 pm, Tom Barry wrote:
However, the wider point that someone commuting from, say, Uxbridge
can't have a drink on the way home while someone from Oxford can be
*sold* one holds true, and has interesting class implications.

I'm not sure the class point holds - someone commuting to Stratford
can buy a drink, whereas someone commuting to Chalfont and Latimer
can't even drink one...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old May 7th 08, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 7, 3:58*pm, John B wrote:
On May 7, 11:54 pm, Tom Barry wrote:

However, the wider point that someone commuting from, say, Uxbridge
can't have a drink on the way home while someone from Oxford can be
*sold* one holds true, and has interesting class implications.

I'm not sure the class point holds - someone commuting to Stratford
can buy a drink, whereas someone commuting to Chalfont and Latimer
can't even drink one...

Do the carts on Thameslink sell Alcohol? IIRC they do.

Old May 7th 08, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Sargeant Rutter wrote:

The drivers are on 40 grand a year for Christs sake!

Hmm, perhaps Amateur Transplants should update their song lyrics.
Old May 7th 08, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 8, 12:14*am, 1506 wrote:
On May 7, 3:58*pm, John B wrote: On May 7, 11:54 pm, Tom Barry wrote:

However, the wider point that someone commuting from, say, Uxbridge
can't have a drink on the way home while someone from Oxford can be
*sold* one holds true, and has interesting class implications.

I'm not sure the class point holds - someone commuting to Stratford
can buy a drink, whereas someone commuting to Chalfont and Latimer
can't even drink one...

Do the carts on Thameslink sell Alcohol? *IIRC they do.

I don't think it does have 'class' implications. I think there is a
problem with anti-social behaviour on the Underground, but my issue is
how will this be enforced?
Old May 8th 08, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 8 May, 00:14, 1506 wrote:
On May 7, 3:58*pm, John B wrote: On May 7, 11:54 pm, Tom Barry wrote:

However, the wider point that someone commuting from, say, Uxbridge
can't have a drink on the way home while someone from Oxford can be
*sold* one holds true, and has interesting class implications.

I'm not sure the class point holds - someone commuting to Stratford
can buy a drink, whereas someone commuting to Chalfont and Latimer
can't even drink one...

Do the carts on Thameslink sell Alcohol? *IIRC they do.

No, because they no longer exist.

They were also removed from The fast Cambridge / Kings Lynn services
on the GN route when FCC took over.

Whoever operates the trollies on "Southern" services did have alcahol
available a few months back on the Brighton line. I wouldn't normally
take a lot of notice, however a business type indulged in a couple of
shorts en route to Brighton on the 09.06 from Victoria and recieved
some unaproving glances.

Grid

Old May 8th 08, 12:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, Rob
writes

Id like to say I am a regular bus drinker and this will affect me
directly.

Interesting - what does a bus taste like?

gets coat and exits stage left with a quick "I thank you"

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old May 8th 08, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 May 2008 19:14:29 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

I wonder how long it will be before
"the civility on public transport" argument means drunk or tipsy people
won't be allowed on to the system

Isn't that already in the CoC?

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old May 8th 08, 06:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John B gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

whereas someone commuting to Chalfont and Latimer can't even drink
one...

Well, they can - but it depends on which train they catch. Met line? No.
Chiltern? Yes.
Old May 8th 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:29:40 on Wed,
7 May 2008, Neil Williams remarked:
It does bloody stink when someone is drinking a can of beer on the top
deck of a bus and they spill it, though. Far worse than a can of Coke
or a coffee.

Plenty of bus operators ban all food and drink.
Old May 8th 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 May, 21:49, "Sargeant Rutter" wrote:
"Zen83237" wrote in message

"Tom Barry" wrote in message

The unions are already getting fidgety about enforcing it (they haven't
been asked, apparently),

Why is it any more dodgey than asking somebody to stop smoking, can I see
your ticket, turn your ipod down or take your feet off the seat, but then
Bob Crowe doesn't need much of an excuse to march all his members pot.

Kevin

The drivers are on 40 grand a year for Christs sake! let them earn their
money by telling a crowd of ****ed up yobs to stop drinking or get of the
train. Some people are taking money for nothing!!

It's difficult enough educating people not to play their music loudly,
to get keep their feet off the seats and to take their litter home -
and you're seriously expecting someone to go up to a crowd of tanked
up drunks and tell them they can't drink? You first.