Old May 8th 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Johnson unveils Tube alcohol ban

On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:33:38 +0200, Roland Perry
wrote:

Plenty of bus operators ban all food and drink.

Only those who are more interested in their cleaning bill than in
passenger comfort. It is a benefit of bus and train travel that one
can safely enjoy refreshments, unlike while driving a car.

I understand and support a ban on hot food, as it stinks, but so long
as you don't chuck the rubbish on the floor there's no good reason for
not allowing at least cold drinks and sandwiches.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old May 8th 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Neil Williams wrote:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:03:59 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

As an asside many US transit systmes ban eating and drinking, of any
sort, on board buses and trains. LA Metro comes to mind.

A good number of the American systems do, as, closer to home, does
Metrolink. I do hope TfL don't go that far.

They explicitly tell you to carry water on the Underground in summer.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old May 8th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
et...
wrote:

As an asside many US transit systmes ban eating and drinking, of any
sort, on board buses and trains. LA Metro comes to mind.

A good number of the American systems do, as, closer to home, does
Metrolink. I do hope TfL don't go that far.

They explicitly tell you to carry water on the Underground in summer.

They'll probably have walk through machines to test it for the presence of
gin or vodka by then

:-)

Paul S

Old May 8th 08, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"1506" wrote in message

On May 7, 4:38 pm, Railist wrote:
On May 8, 12:14 am, 1506 wrote:

On May 7, 3:58 pm, John B wrote: On May 7,
11:54 pm, Tom Barry wrote:

However, the wider point that someone commuting from, say,
Uxbridge can't have a drink on the way home while someone from
Oxford can be *sold* one holds true, and has interesting class
implications.

I'm not sure the class point holds - someone commuting to Stratford
can buy a drink, whereas someone commuting to Chalfont and Latimer
can't even drink one...

Do the carts on Thameslink sell Alcohol? IIRC they do.

I don't think it does have 'class' implications. I think there is a
problem with anti-social behaviour on the Underground, but my issue
is how will this be enforced?

With some difficulty one would have thought. At one time, one of the
Circle Line stations had a bar on the platform. IIRC it was Saint
James Park.

Sloan Square, I thought.

Old May 8th 08, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 8 May 2008 21:09:52 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

They'll probably have walk through machines to test it for the presence of
gin or vodka by then

:-)

It did occur to me that those who wish to continue drinking alcohol on
the Tube will just get round the new rule by carrying it mixed with a
soft drink in the appropriate soft drink container.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old May 8th 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 8, 1:23*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
"1506" wrote in message

11:54 pm, Tom Barry wrote:

However, the wider point that someone commuting from, say,
Uxbridge can't have a drink on the way home while someone from
Oxford can be *sold* one holds true, and has interesting class
implications.

I'm not sure the class point holds - someone commuting to Stratford
can buy a drink, whereas someone commuting to Chalfont and Latimer
can't even drink one...

Do the carts on Thameslink sell Alcohol? IIRC they do.

I don't think it does have 'class' implications. I think there is a
problem with anti-social behaviour on the Underground, but my issue
is how will this be enforced?

With some difficulty one would have thought. *At one time, one of the
Circle Line stations had a bar on the platform. *IIRC it was Saint
James Park.

Sloan Square, I thought.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that is the one. It has been a while!
Old May 9th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message
, at
15:45:28 on Thu, 8 May 2008, 1506
remarked:
With some difficulty one would have thought. *At one time, one of the
Circle Line stations had a bar on the platform. *IIRC it was Saint
James Park.

Sloan Square, I thought.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that is the one. It has been a while!

Also Liverpool St.
Old May 9th 08, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:38:39 on Thu,
8 May 2008, Neil Williams remarked:
Plenty of bus operators ban all food and drink.

Only those who are more interested in their cleaning bill than in
passenger comfort.

It is not conducive to passenger comfort to be surrounded by litter,
smelly food and so on.

It is a benefit of bus and train travel that one
can safely enjoy refreshments, unlike while driving a car.

National Rail trains are different, but no-one is likely to starve when
on a local bus.

I understand and support a ban on hot food, as it stinks, but so long
as you don't chuck the rubbish on the floor there's no good reason for
not allowing at least cold drinks and sandwiches.

Unfortunately, people only seem to understand total bans, as somewhat
evidenced by people gleefully rehearsing various 'loopholes' in this
thread.
Old May 9th 08, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

1506 wrote:

As an asside many US transit systmes ban eating and drinking, of any
sort, on board buses and trains. LA Metro comes to mind.

In the UK, Metrolink bans all food and drink (maybe other tram systems
too?) I was once allowed to *carry* a takeaway on a Metrolink tram by
the TTIs, so long as I kept it wrapped up and wasn't tempted to eat
any of it. I was told in no uncertain terms that even this concession
was on a "Just this once" basis.

Cheers

mark-r

Old May 9th 08, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Rob Rob is offline

wrote:
They'll probably have walk through machines to test it for the presence of
gin or vodka by then

:-)

It did occur to me that those who wish to continue drinking alcohol on
the Tube will just get round the new rule by carrying it mixed with a
soft drink in the appropriate soft drink container.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

I am working on a mental sleeve that fits around a can of Tennants
Super that makes it look like you are drinking Fanta

Rob