Old May 7th 08, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Johnson unveils Tube alcohol ban

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7387113.stm

"That's why from 1 June the drinking of alcohol will be banned from the
tube, tram, bus, and Docklands Light Railway."

Have they forgotten the 'Overground' then?
Will crowds flock to mainline terminals with bars on the concourses?
Is this a real problem?

Paul

Old May 7th 08, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7387113.stm

"That's why from 1 June the drinking of alcohol will be banned from the
tube, tram, bus, and Docklands Light Railway."

Have they forgotten the 'Overground' then?
Will crowds flock to mainline terminals with bars on the concourses?
Is this a real problem?

Paul

Spotted the Overground wasn't there too, which begs the question what
happens on joint routes like Richmond-Gunnersbury and Queens Park-Harrow
& Wealdstone. He presumably doesn't have the power on Network Rail
(there are presumably routes wholly within London you can still *buy*
booze on the train, surely?), but I've no idea what powers he actually
has to do this (he does have them, presumably?).

Then there's the question of enforcement, of course.

Tom

Old May 7th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 May, 12:27, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Is this a real problem?

No, but it's a good excuse for pompous moralising. See also the ramble
about privilege and individual responsibility at the end of this press
release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/8162.aspx

Serves us right for electing a tory.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old May 7th 08, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 7 May, 12:27, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Is this a real problem?

No, but it's a good excuse for pompous moralising. See also the ramble
about privilege and individual responsibility at the end of this press
release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...ntre/8162.aspx

Serves us right for electing a tory.

What exactly is your problem with requiring kids to behave with reasonable
civility in return for the privilege of free travel?
--
Richard J.

Old May 7th 08, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 7, 12:27 pm, "Paul Scott"
From:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7387113.stm

"That's why from 1 June the drinking of alcohol will be banned from the
tube, tram, bus, and Docklands Light Railway."

Have they forgotten the 'Overground' then?
Will crowds flock to mainline terminals with bars on the concourses?
Is this a real problem?

Paul

Hmm. I can't honestly say that I've seen an awefully large number of
people drinking on public transport, either tube or bus, in the few
years that I've been living in the capital. More public transport
journeys are pretty short, so there's rarely enough time for even the
most light-weighted drinker to become drunk.

Ofcourse I've seen plently of trouble on public transport involving
drunk people, but they were all already drunk before boarding,
something that Boris' new legislation will do nothing to prevent.

Old May 7th 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7387113.stm

"That's why from 1 June the drinking of alcohol will be banned from the
tube, tram, bus, and Docklands Light Railway."

Have they forgotten the 'Overground' then?
Will crowds flock to mainline terminals with bars on the concourses?
Is this a real problem?

Paul

Spotted the Overground wasn't there too, which begs the question what
happens on joint routes like Richmond-Gunnersbury and Queens Park-Harrow &
Wealdstone. He presumably doesn't have the power on Network Rail (there
are presumably routes wholly within London you can still *buy* booze on
the train, surely?), but I've no idea what powers he actually has to do
this (he does have them, presumably?).

Interesting point - I'd just put it down to a cockup.

More confirmation that LO is still part of the National Network perhaps. In
your example Richmond definitely is - would Gunnersbury be a Network Rail
station leased and run by LU or LO?

Paul S

Old May 7th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

Interesting point - I'd just put it down to a cockup.

More confirmation that LO is still part of the National Network perhaps. In
your example Richmond definitely is - would Gunnersbury be a Network Rail
station leased and run by LU or LO?

Paul S

NR station managed by LU I think. It had Oyster readers long before LO
was launched.

Tom
Old May 7th 08, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James wrote:

Hmm. I can't honestly say that I've seen an awefully large number of
people drinking on public transport, either tube or bus, in the few
years that I've been living in the capital. More public transport
journeys are pretty short, so there's rarely enough time for even the
most light-weighted drinker to become drunk.

Ofcourse I've seen plently of trouble on public transport involving
drunk people, but they were all already drunk before boarding,
something that Boris' new legislation will do nothing to prevent.

That's it in a nutshell - I saw someone perfectly well behaved with a
can of Magners on the tube into town last Friday, then came home myself
on a bus after a birthday night out, obviously without a drop of booze
*on* me, but with the Electric Soup lapping the tonsils. It's not
people drinking on the tube you need to worry about, it's people being
drunk *and misbehaving*, which I'm sure was already covered by various
offences.

Look at it this way - if I go to the pub and have ten pints of *******
Strength Lager, then buy a can of Coke, get on the tube and drink it,
Boris says I'm fine. If I go to the pub and have ten Cokes, then buy a
can of ******* Strength Lager, get on the tube and drink it, I get
collared. What's the logic in that? Which case is more likely to lead
to a public nuisance? In which case am I even over the drink drive
limit, for heaven's sake?

I get the fearful impression Boris is indeed cracking on with his
promises and actually believed the rubbish his campaign put out. This
may well be more dangerous than the cynical politician who says what he
thinks will get him elected, then bins it and does what he wants when
the feet are under the desk.

Tom
Old May 7th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

From:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7387113.stm

"That's why from 1 June the drinking of alcohol will be banned from the
tube, tram, bus, and Docklands Light Railway."

Have they forgotten the 'Overground' then?
Will crowds flock to mainline terminals with bars on the concourses?
Is this a real problem?

Paul

Do you think Thames Clippers will be affected by the alcohol ban. They
sell alcohol on board. A bottle of becks on the deck of a boat down to
Woolwich on a sunny evening was one of lifes little pleasures. No more
I suppose

Rob
Old May 7th 08, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Barry wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

Interesting point - I'd just put it down to a cockup.

More confirmation that LO is still part of the National Network
perhaps. In your example Richmond definitely is - would Gunnersbury
be a Network Rail station leased and run by LU or LO?

NR station managed by LU I think. It had Oyster readers long before
LO was launched.

It was managed by Silverlink previously. LU only took over the managment
when LO was launched. I assume that formally it's still owned by Network
Rail.
--
Richard J.