Old May 10th 08, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default [OT] Can you walk across the flood barrier on Dartford Creek?

Well,

Can you?

It's he

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.4...=UTF8&t=k&z=16

And it clearly has some sort of way across it, but i have no idea if it's
public. Google maps has no idea, of course. My OS map doesn't show any
kind of footpath or similar across it. OpenStreetMap, though, shows a
'track', a red dashed line, across it:

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.478...16&layers=B0FT

Does anyoen have any idea if i would be able to walk, and wheel a bike,
across here?

If not, i think i'd have to follow the river, and then the Cray, up to
Barnes Cray, cross at a weir, and then take the A206 to get across the
Dart/Darenth. Which would be a bit of a detour.

tom

--
For one thing at least is almost certain about the future, namely,
that very much of it will be such as we should call incredible. --

Old May 10th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
Well,

Can you?

It's he

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.4...=UTF8&t=k&z=16

And it clearly has some sort of way across it, but i have no idea if
it's public. Google maps has no idea, of course. My OS map doesn't
show any kind of footpath or similar across it. OpenStreetMap,
though, shows a 'track', a red dashed line, across it:

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.478...16&layers=B0FT

Does anyoen have any idea if i would be able to walk, and wheel a
bike, across here?

The normal position of the barrier is way up in the air, like this:
http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T0...k/Pict3864.jpg

I very much doubt if the public are given access to the barrier. Certainly
there is no access to the Barking Creek barrier, and that is of a similar
design.
--
Richard J.

Old May 10th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Richard J. wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Can you?

The normal position of the barrier is way up in the air, like this:
http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T0...k/Pict3864.jpg

I very much doubt if the public are given access to the barrier.
Certainly there is no access to the Barking Creek barrier, and that is
of a similar design.

Bugger.

Oh well, huge detour it is.

Unless i take a dinghy with me.

tom

Old May 11th 08, 05:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Well,

Can you?

It's he

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.4...=UTF8&t=k&z=16

And it clearly has some sort of way across it, but i have no idea if
it's public. Google maps has no idea, of course. My OS map doesn't
show any kind of footpath or similar across it. OpenStreetMap,
though, shows a 'track', a red dashed line, across it:

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.478...16&layers=B0FT

Does anyoen have any idea if i would be able to walk, and wheel a
bike, across here?

The normal position of the barrier is way up in the air, like this:
http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T0...k/Pict3864.jpg

That is also the position in the original photo: you can tell by the shadow.

Old May 12th 08, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 10, 11:37 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T0...k/Pict3864.jpg

Thats a very expensive barrier just to connect an industrial estate to
some farm tracks. Strange.

B2993

Old May 12th 08, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Boltar wrote:

On May 10, 11:37 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/T0...k/Pict3864.jpg

Thats a very expensive barrier just to connect an industrial estate to
some farm tracks. Strange.

I think the main point of it is protect Dartford from being flooded -
hence the title 'barrier'.

You could also argue that it's a very expensive barrier just to protect
Dartford from being flooded, of course!

tom

--
Argumentative and pedantic, oh, yes. Although it's properly called
"correct" -- Huge