London Banter

-   -   Ludgate Hill/St Paul's (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6703-ludgate-hill-st-pauls.html)

Chris Read May 14th 08 09:03 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

Over 10 minutes on the number 17 bus tonight, to crawl from Ludgate Circus
to that ludicrous zebra crossing at St Paul's.

Is this something Boris can resolve, or does it fall within the
responsibilities of the old farts of the City of London?

Chris

Paul Corfield May 14th 08 10:16 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:03:56 +0100, "Chris Read"
wrote:

Over 10 minutes on the number 17 bus tonight, to crawl from Ludgate Circus
to that ludicrous zebra crossing at St Paul's.

Is this something Boris can resolve, or does it fall within the
responsibilities of the old farts of the City of London?

I have no idea whose responsibility it is but super Boris will surely
save the world (and banish traffic jams forever)- well that's the way
the media hype seems to be portraying him. The Standard even suggested
the sunshine was part of his "honeymoon period" since taking over.

--
Paul C

Mike Hughes May 14th 08 11:35 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

In message , Chris Read
writes

Over 10 minutes on the number 17 bus tonight, to crawl from Ludgate Circus
to that ludicrous zebra crossing at St Paul's.

Is this something Boris can resolve, or does it fall within the
responsibilities of the old farts of the City of London?

Think you'll find its the City of London. Taxi drivers have a moan about
the City fathers as we're not allowed to use most of the bus lanes in
the City but can do so in the Greater London area.

I agree that a light controlled crossing would make the traffic flow a
lot better there, although there had been a major road closure in the
east end and there may have been extra traffic in the area.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

Boltar May 15th 08 02:27 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

On May 14, 11:35 pm, Mike Hughes wrote:
Think you'll find its the City of London. Taxi drivers have a moan about
the City fathers as we're not allowed to use most of the bus lanes in
the City but can do so in the Greater London area.

Don't be too upset. From what I've see when I used to work in the city
you cabbies are still allowed to do illegal u-turns in the middle of
the road, stop suddenly wherever you please and no matter how much
traffic is behind you to pick or drop off a fare and accelerate
through pedestrian crossings if they're flashing amber even if people
are still on them.

B2003

Neil Williams May 15th 08 02:35 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

Paul Corfield wrote:

I have no idea whose responsibility it is but super Boris will surely
save the world (and banish traffic jams forever)- well that's the way
the media hype seems to be portraying him. The Standard even suggested
the sunshine was part of his "honeymoon period" since taking over.

Sunshine or otherwise, the simple (and cheap for the City)
installation of a traffic light pedestrian crossing would solve the
problem.

Neil

Neil Williams May 15th 08 08:18 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

On Thu, 15 May 2008 06:27:10 -0700 (PDT), Boltar
wrote:

Don't be too upset. From what I've see when I used to work in the city
you cabbies are still allowed to do illegal u-turns in the middle of
the road, stop suddenly wherever you please and no matter how much
traffic is behind you to pick or drop off a fare and accelerate
through pedestrian crossings if they're flashing amber even if people
are still on them.

While that seems like a rant, taxis stopping in bus lanes are a *real*
problem. I think it's time London got a Singapore-style "taxi stop"
system in place on Red Routes and anywhere else with bus lanes.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Boltar May 16th 08 08:58 AM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

wrote:
Don't be too upset. From what I've see when I used to work in the city
you cabbies are still allowed to do illegal u-turns in the middle of
the road, stop suddenly wherever you please and no matter how much
traffic is behind you to pick or drop off a fare and accelerate
through pedestrian crossings if they're flashing amber even if people
are still on them.

While that seems like a rant, taxis stopping in bus lanes are a *real*

Its not a rant , its a fact.

B2003

David Cantrell May 16th 08 12:17 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 07:18:06PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

While that seems like a rant, taxis stopping in bus lanes are a *real*
problem.

They're nothing like as much of a problem as delivery vans and lorries
parking in them. At least the cab will move off again very shortly, but
the lorry might be there for an hour or more.

Yes, it'll get a ticket. The driver doesn't care because his employer
accepts that as just a cost of doing business and just pays out. The
employer doesn't care because his customers are happy to eat the cost.

I think it's time London got a Singapore-style "taxi stop"
system in place on Red Routes and anywhere else with bus lanes.

The whole point of a taxi is that you can pick one up anywhere without
having to find a bus stop.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.
At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear
shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house.
-- Robert A Heinlein

Tom Anderson May 16th 08 05:40 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

On Fri, 16 May 2008, David Cantrell wrote:

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 07:18:06PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

While that seems like a rant, taxis stopping in bus lanes are a *real*
problem.

They're nothing like as much of a problem as delivery vans and lorries
parking in them. At least the cab will move off again very shortly, but
the lorry might be there for an hour or more.

Yes, it'll get a ticket. The driver doesn't care because his employer
accepts that as just a cost of doing business and just pays out. The
employer doesn't care because his customers are happy to eat the cost.

Good, if depressing, point. So, we start issuing points for parking
violations by commercial vehicle drivers, then?

I think it's time London got a Singapore-style "taxi stop"
system in place on Red Routes and anywhere else with bus lanes.

The whole point of a taxi is that you can pick one up anywhere without
having to find a bus stop.

Which is great, as long as it doesn't interfere with the huge numbers of
people who could be bothered to find a bus stop getting where they want to
go. Which is why bus lanes were mentioned.

tom

--
It's the 21st century, man - we rue _minutes_. -- Benjamin Rosenbaum

Colin Rosenstiel May 17th 08 12:39 PM

Ludgate Hill/St Paul's

In article ,
(David Cantrell) wrote:

I think it's time London got a Singapore-style "taxi stop"
system in place on Red Routes and anywhere else with bus lanes.

The whole point of a taxi is that you can pick one up anywhere without
having to find a bus stop.

That may be the London way but in fact on-street hailing is almost
unknown in many provincial cities.

--
Colin Rosenstiel