Old June 24th 08, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whats the minimum Oyster card value to get through a gate?

On 18 Jun, 23:24, wrote:
On Jun 18, 10:37 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

I don't understand this example - especially the no gates bit. *Is the
word "don't" missing in one of the sentences?

Yes, should have said "don't touch in/out".

I'm pretty such LU must have thought of this one but I'm wondering if
there are any circumstances you'd end up quids in?

How do you end up quids in when value is deducted on entry to the
system?

Huh?

I buy a card for 3 quid + 1 quid value. Go through the gates to DLR or
NR station with no gates.
Come back the same way and touch out at my station. 8 quid gets
deducted so card goes
negative (gates always seem to let you out no matter how negative it
goes as long as its positive
to start with), would have cost 5 quid even if I had touched in /out ,
I paid 4 quid. 1 pound up.

Seems like a lot of hassle for a measly quid

Old June 24th 08, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Jun, 18:25, wrote:
On Jun 19, 10:05 am, "
wrote:

Either way, the total savings are 2GBP per day in return for queuing
up twice per day to buy a new oyster. And I suspect the station staff
would eventually get to know you and start to get a bit suspicious.

If you did it every day yes , if its occasionally I doubt it.

Seems a pathetic waste of time. Compare with the almost risk-free ways
of scamming £120/year for Watford-Central London travel, or £624 a
year for cross-london travel (say Epping - Hammersmith).

deliberately taking advantage of the overdraft facility without any
intention of ever repaying it would be theft.

LULs rip off fares for thei utterly **** service are theft IMHO.

Good for you. Fare dodgers steal air in my opinion, but the courts
might not agree

Besides , why not use their oh-so-clever extortion system against them
occasionally? Poetic justice.

Old June 24th 08, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Jun, 03:39, "peter" wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:12:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Anyone know?

It's the minimum fare at that station - £1 outside Z1 and £1.50 in Z1.

big *snip
--
Paul C

So will the gate at the destination let you out, if after deducting the
correct fare, the balance on the card is negative?

The reason I ask is that I infrequently visit London, and on my last journey
I commenced with £3.00 on the card (Z1 to Waterloo) (eurostar was there in
early November)
and now I have £1.50 sitting on card which won't be used for a year or two
(it is a registered card-- dunno how long they will allow it to remain
inactive)

The card previously had a 7 day Travelcard on it, so it has no £3 deposit.

I suspect to avoid giving Tfl a long term interest free loan, *:-) *I should
try to commence my last journey with only £1.50 on the card.

Or you could just take it to a ticket window and say "gimme my money".
As it's registered I dont think there's an issue.
Old June 24th 08, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 24, 1:33 pm, Paul Weaver wrote:
On 22 Jun, 03:39, "peter" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Unless you've used both cash and a credit card to top it up. Then you
can only get the money back by cheque, posted to your address.

Bit of a bugger if your usual currency isn't GBP.

Tim.
Old June 25th 08, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Ok thanks for the replies.. I want to keep the card, so in future I will
just run it down to zero.
It's useful as I can add funds from here (Sydney) prior to any trip to
London and don't have to pay the £3 deposit

cheers
Peter

Old June 27th 08, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

It depends on the frequency of your visits to London I suppose but we
keep our cards at a minimum normal balance of £1.50 so we're not forced
to queue up at King's Cross to top it up before entering the tube. For
almost every tube journey we make the other end of the trip is a better
place to top up a card than King's Cross.

--
Colin Rosenstiel