Old June 23rd 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default West Hampstead Overground

It makes you wonder.

Towards the end of their franchise Silverlink decided that the
platforms at West Hampstead NL would be better identified as Eastbound
and Westbound instead of 1 and 2. Si they changed the signs and
updated the auto-announcements but missed out on some of fthe
announcment options so a mixture of old and new references could be
heard.

Then along come London Overground who decide that platforms should be
numbered and put up new signs. Again they have updated the
announcements but not all of them so the mixture persists!

LO have also introduced their corporate identity in the form of nice
black on orange nameboards, with roundel, bit these are marked as
temporary signs so yet more money is going to be spent later.
Couldn't they live a little longer with the Silverlnk signs?

Pity they apparently can't afford to replace the illegible PIS
monitors though.
--
Peter Lawrence

Old June 24th 08, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:13:00 GMT, "Peter Lawrence"
wrote:

LO have also introduced their corporate identity in the form of nice
black on orange nameboards

Nice but not very readable due to the darkness of the orange. Why not
just stick an orange stripe on the bottom until ready to replace them
with full-size enamel roundels, I wonder?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old June 24th 08, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

LO have also introduced their corporate identity in the form of nice
black on orange nameboards

Nice but not very readable due to the darkness of the orange. Why not
just stick an orange stripe on the bottom until ready to replace them
with full-size enamel roundels, I wonder?

They probably wanted to obliterate the Silverlink green and purple
completely. That would probably have covered half the signs anyway,
including part of the station name if a simple orange strip had been used?

Paul

Old June 24th 08, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jun, 22:13, "Peter Lawrence" wrote:
LO have also introduced their corporate identity in the form of nice
black on orange nameboards, with roundel, bit these are marked as
temporary signs so yet more money is going to be spent later.
Couldn't they live a little longer with the Silverlnk signs?

I think the cost of putting them in is negligible in the greater
scheme of things. They were starting to look very out of place now
everything else has been repainted and cleaned up.

Pity they apparently can't afford to replace the illegible PIS
monitors though. *

As I standard it, the aim for the first 6 months was a deep clean and
repaint with no upgrades, apart from ticket machines and barriers. New
displays and shelters and so on will go in next.

I've noticed the stations at the west end (Acton Central-Kew Gardens)
seem to already have the high quality LED displays like those proposed
for the rest of the network, though I'm not certain they're new.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old June 24th 08, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

LO have also introduced their corporate identity in the form of nice
black on orange nameboards

Nice but not very readable due to the darkness of the orange. Why
not just stick an orange stripe on the bottom until ready to replace
them with full-size enamel roundels, I wonder?

They probably wanted to obliterate the Silverlink green and purple
completely. That would probably have covered half the signs anyway,
including part of the station name if a simple orange strip had been
used?

Why were the new signs not ready? LOROL was inevitable months before the
handover.

Old June 24th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Why were the new signs not ready? LOROL was inevitable months before the
handover.

If memory serves, the "full" rebranding exercise isn't due to take place
until the ELLX (Phase 1) is ready to open, at which point they'll do it
as a "big bang".

Cheers,

Barry

Old June 24th 08, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jun 23, 10:13*pm, "Peter Lawrence" wrote:
It makes you wonder.

Towards the end of their franchise Silverlink decided that the
platforms at West Hampstead NL would be better identified as Eastbound
and Westbound instead of 1 and 2. *Si they changed the signs and
updated the auto-announcements but missed out on some of fthe
announcment options so a mixture of old and new references could be
heard.

Then along come London Overground who decide that platforms should be
numbered and put up new signs. *Again *they have updated the
announcements but not all of them so the mixture persists!

I've always thought it was odd the way that LU refers to platform
numbers in announcements.

More than once I've been on the platform in a large interchange
station and there has been announcement on the lines of "would
customers on platform 6 please note that something terrible is about
to happen" and looked around to find that platform numbers don't
appear to be displayed anywhere on that station and none of the
punters has a clue where platform 6 might be. I wonder if the staff
do.