London Banter

-   -   What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6861-what-happened-earls-court-latimer.html)

Walter Briscoe June 25th 08 05:13 PM

What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road

In recent thread, there is a reference to the 1941 tube map at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1941.html to a
connection from Earl's Court to Latimer Road via Addison Road and
Uxbridge Road. Addison Road is now known as Kensington Olympia. Uxbridge
Road has gone. When and why? Between 1946 and 1949 according to
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1946.html and
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1949.html. I can
find no relevant words in Clive Feather's wonderful work at
www.davros.org/rail/culg/. [It will be better when he completes the
track diagrams. I am uncomfortable with his algebraic descriptions. I
appreciate it is a hobby and he has a day job. ;)]
--
Walter Briscoe

Abigail Brady June 25th 08 06:08 PM

What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road

On Jun 25, 6:13 pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
In recent thread, there is a reference to the 1941 tube map at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1941.html to a
connection from Earl's Court to Latimer Road via Addison Road and
Uxbridge Road. Addison Road is now known as Kensington Olympia. Uxbridge
Road has gone. When and why? Between 1946 and 1949 according to
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1946.html and
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1949.html. I can
find no relevant words in Clive Feather's wonderful work at
www.davros.org/rail/culg/. [It will be better when he completes the
track diagrams. I am uncomfortable with his algebraic descriptions. I
appreciate it is a hobby and he has a day job. ;)]

There is a map here, which may explain the situation

http://tinyurl.com/ypnw4z

--
Abi

Richard J.[_2_] June 25th 08 09:48 PM

wrote:
In recent thread, there is a reference to the 1941 tube map at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1941.html to a
connection from Earl's Court to Latimer Road via Addison Road and
Uxbridge Road. Addison Road is now known as Kensington Olympia.
Uxbridge Road has gone. When and why? Between 1946 and 1949
according to
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1946.html and
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1949.html. I
can find no relevant words in Clive Feather's wonderful work at
www.davros.org/rail/culg/. [It will be better when he completes
the track diagrams. I am uncomfortable with his algebraic
descriptions. I appreciate it is a hobby and he has a day job. ;)]

There is a map here, which may explain the situation

http://tinyurl.com/ypnw4z

That's a good map. The link from the West London Line to Latimer Road was
destroyed by bombing in 1940, and was never reopened. I note that Uxbridge
Road was closed at the same time, presumably because the only service it had
was via Latimer Road. (Services to Willesden Junction had ceased in 1939 at
the start of WW2.) The tube map continued to show the Latimer Road
connection until (I think) 1947, when the 'temporary' closure became
permanent.
--
Richard J.

John Rowland June 26th 08 02:31 AM

Abigail Brady wrote:

There is a map here, which may explain the situation

http://tinyurl.com/ypnw4z

I'm surprised that the Wood Lane platform with the line cutting therethrough
has no footnote!

Walter Briscoe June 27th 08 06:36 AM

What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road

In message
of
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:08:34 in uk.transport.london, Abigail Brady
writes
wrote:
[...]

That diagram is very helpful. Reference to a map suggests the route
would have been zapped by Westway construction. I can't imagine the
route can ever have been very busy.
--
Walter Briscoe

Paul Terry June 27th 08 09:12 AM

What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes

That diagram is very helpful. Reference to a map suggests the route
would have been zapped by Westway construction.

The entire line was south of Westway. Had it survived, it would have
crossed what was then the short motorway from Westway to the Shepherd's
roundabout, but the road could easily have been built beneath the line
had it still been in use. Of course, it wasn't and so the embankment
down to the West London line was simply removed.

I can't imagine the route can ever have been very busy.

Trains were every 20 minutes each way (weekdays only) in 1929, with
additional services when there was an exhibition at Olympia. The service
was Edgware Road - Kensington Olympia (then called Kensington, Addison
Road).
--
Paul Terry

Colin Rosenstiel June 27th 08 02:09 PM

What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road

wrote:
[...]

The route was zapped long before the West Cross Route link road to
Westway was built but its construction did deliver the coup de grace if
anyone might have been thinking of reinstating the Latimer Road link.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather July 8th 08 11:54 AM

What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road

In article , Walter Briscoe
writes
In recent thread, there is a reference to the 1941 tube map at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1941.html to a
connection from Earl's Court to Latimer Road via Addison Road and
Uxbridge Road.

[...]
I can find no relevant words in Clive Feather's wonderful work at
www.davros.org/rail/culg/.

It's in the Hammersmith & City Line file, plus there's some pre-1906
stuff in the Circle Line file (look for "Middle Circle").

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Walter Briscoe July 12th 08 05:33 AM

What happened to Earl's Court to Latimer Road

In message of Tue, 8 Jul 2008
12:54:58 in uk.transport.london, Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Walter Briscoe
writes
In recent thread, there is a reference to the 1941 tube map at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.billson/tubemaps/1941.html to a
connection from Earl's Court to Latimer Road via Addison Road and
Uxbridge Road.

[...]
I can find no relevant words in Clive Feather's wonderful work at
www.davros.org/rail/culg/.

It's in the Hammersmith & City Line file, plus there's some pre-1906
stuff in the Circle Line file (look for "Middle Circle").

Thanks for that. I think I was looking for (and failed to find) "Addison
Road" which is now known as Kensington Olympia.
As one heads west towards Hammersmith from Latimer Road, what I take to
be the stump of the connection to Uxbridge Road, Addison Road, and Earls
Court can be seen on the left just outside Latimer Road.
--
Walter Briscoe