Old July 13th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free travel on buses today!

In message , at
16:41:57 on Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Steve Dulieu
remarked:
And people with a Barclaycard/Oyster??

Doesn't mention them at all. At a guess, and having never seen a
Barclay card oyster, I suspect they have to contact the card issuer.

I wonder if TFL have warned the Barclaycard helpdesk, and also
instructed their barrier-folk to let those cards through for the next
week or two on the nod as well?

Old July 13th 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:41:57
on Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Steve Dulieu
remarked:
And people with a Barclaycard/Oyster??

Doesn't mention them at all. At a guess, and having never seen a Barclay
card oyster, I suspect they have to contact the card issuer.

I wonder if TFL have warned the Barclaycard helpdesk, and also instructed
their barrier-folk to let those cards through for the next week or two on
the nod as well?

One would hope so...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old July 13th 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:

A further bulletin has set out the procedure for cards that have been
disabled...

"Customers who present disabled cards should be referred to the ticket
office. If the ticket office is closed or the queue very long then
customers with disabled cards should be permitted to travel and
invited to visit the ticket office at their destination if possible.
Presented cards should be checked via the TOM to see if it can be
read, if it can then follow normal procedure.
If a card cannot be read, then the normal failed card procedure
should be used.
Where a customer advises that the disabled card held either less than
£10 of PAYG value or any weekly travelcard then a replacement can be
issued immediately with no further checks necessary. The amount or
remaining days of the weekly indicated by the customer should be
loaded on the card. If the customer advises that the card held a higher
PAYG value than
£10 or a longer period travel card, you should call the CSC on auto
XXXX to validate their details prior to issue. If you cannot get
through, advise the customer that they can travel using their oyster
card for visual inspection only and should return to the ticket
office later. If the card is of a type that cannot be replaced at a ticket
office -
eg a freedom pass - then the customer should be advised to follow the
usual replacement procedure. Freedom pass holders should be advised
to contact the council of issue. Child photocard holders should apply
for a replacement by using the number on the back of the card."

Apparently extra supplies of oyster blanks and gateline passes are
being distributed to busy stations, as well as RCIs being deployed at
key locations to provide support.
The same bulletin also says that customers who were within the system
before 09:30 "may" have been charged a maximum fare on exit. It says
that this will be addressed automatically via gatelines on Tuesday
morning.
Hope this goes some way towards helping people understand what's
going on.

It does indeed, Steve. Thanks very much. Pity that TfL don't seem to feel
the need to give any information at all on their website.
--
Richard J.

Old July 13th 08, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
dB dB is offline

Linked to from the home page: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/news/oyster.aspx

Old July 13th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:42:39 on Sun,
13 Jul 2008, Paul Scott remarked:
TFL is compounding the situation by saying that these penalty fares will
be cancelled automatically in a special operation.

Er.. 'maximum cash fares' to be accurate...

Normally I might agree with you, but this time it's a penalty for TFL's
cockup

I see the latest BBC update refers to some people having been 'fined' too...

Paul

Old July 13th 08, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

dB wrote:
It does indeed, Steve. Thanks very much. Pity that TfL don't seem
to feel the need to give any information at all on their website.

Linked to from the home page:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/news/oyster.aspx

I stand corrected (I must have looked at the LU home page rather than
TfL's), but it's still not on the News Centre page. Perhaps that's reserved
for good news.
--
Richard J.

Old July 13th 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
,
at 18:30:18 on Sat, 12 Jul 2008, chunky munky
remarked:

The problem with the software was that any card touched on a bit of
Oyster kit was hotlisted and permenantly disabled. Anyone affected by
this will have to get a brand new card.

Really? Have there been any press reports of this. You'd think people
would have noticed. And what about folks with combined Barclaycard/
Oyster, do you think they'll need a new one too?

If this was the case, how did people manage to "touch out" later in
the day, having attempted to "touch in" earlier?

According to a staff bulletin put out Saturday morning, a "corrupted
electronic file" uploaded overnight meant that any oyster used before
09:30 was hotlisted and permanently disabled.

We got on a W4 to Tottenham* about 06.30 on Sunday morning and my gf
didn't get her Oyster disabled when she touched in.

* Never again! :-)
Old July 13th 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:
We got on a W4 to Tottenham* about 06.30 on Sunday morning and my gf
didn't get her Oyster disabled when she touched in.

(Obviously I meant Saturday.)
Old July 13th 08, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:02:42 GMT, Richard Dixon
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

All the buses I used this morning had "defective" card readers. One
driver had put a piece of paper over the reader saying "free day" and
happily telling everyone that it was a "special offer day" on the tube
and buses.

I thought for a minute it was the new mayor of London attempting to make
himself popular...

It will be interesting to see what the reaction from Team Boris is.

I have to admit, I did wonder, having seen this story:

http://www.thelondondailynews.com/oy...nks-p-900.html

whether it was sabotage by a disgruntled employee!
Old July 14th 08, 12:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:

A further bulletin has set out the procedure for cards that have been
disabled...

"Customers who present disabled cards should be referred to the ticket
office. If the ticket office is closed or the queue very long then
customers with disabled cards should be permitted to travel and
invited to visit the ticket office at their destination if possible.

..... where the queue will almost certainly be even longer.