Old July 22nd 08, 01:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Escaped Circle Line train at Aldgate East

On Jul 22, 12:36*am, MIG wrote:
On Jul 21, 9:22*pm, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,

(Neil Williams) wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:45:56 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

I may be mistaken but I thought that there was a service from Edgware
Road to Olympia that ran for a short period of time.

ISTR that as well. *What currently serves Olympia?

D Stock on shuttles from High St Ken.

I didn't remember C stock going to Olympia. *Was it a very short
period that service ran for?

It wouldn't explain Olympia being on the C stock diagrams in any case
because as far as I know it was on there consistently (and oddly) from
about 1979 till the last couple of years.

I certainly travelled in C stock to Olympia on several occasions in
the early 1990s. My records show the first time was May '93 and the
last Jan '94. By June '94 (and also 1st Jan '94), it was back to D
Stock. As mentioned above, the service was Edgware Road - Olympia.

Old July 22nd 08, 03:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

I may be mistaken but I thought that there was a service from Edgware
Road to Olympia that ran for a short period of time.

In the timetable I have, it was morning rush hour only. Olympia had a
D-stock shuttle to HSK at other times.

Old July 22nd 08, 06:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:22 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

ISTR that as well. What currently serves Olympia?

D Stock on shuttles from High St Ken.

Ah, maybe I'm just thinking of that.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old July 22nd 08, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:28:39 +0100, asdf
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:14:46 +0100, James Farrar wrote:

At about 07.40 on Sunday morning 20/07/08, I saw a westbound train at
Aldgate East. The destination on the front was "CIRCLE LINE". There was no
mention of it on the platform train describer. The PA sounded something
akin to: "This is a Circle Line service via Liverpool Street".

Where might it have been parked?
What wanderings do Circle Line services do?

Probably entering service from Upney (Barking) sidings, where a number of
C-stock trains are berthed nightly.

I recall this service from my time living in Barking. It always caused a
degree of confusion to the bleary-eyed, early on a Sunday. Not least
because, with no H&C service east of Whitechapel on a Sunday, nobody at
Barking expected to see a C-stock train in service.

Plus, of course, the obvious question as to whether this 'Circle Line' train
would become a clockwise or anti-clockwise service!

Surely it should announce as H&C to Edgware Road or District to
Gloucester Road (is that possible?), as appropriate, until reaching
Liverpool Street/Tower Hill?

This reminds me of the late evening (and weekend, during engineering
works) D Stock services from Ealing Broadway and Richmond to High St
Kensington. This is impossible on the current Tube Map, so should they
be advertised as Earl's Court as far as Earl's Court?

Arguably, although both Ealing Bdy - Earl's Court and Earl's Court -
HSK are District line, I think it's OK. The Circle line never goes to
Barking!
Old July 22nd 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jul 22, 7:59*pm, Phil Reynolds
wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:24:00 +0100, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Phil Reynolds) wrote:

The C stocks can serve virtually all of the District Line - not just
Wimbleware - but if you saw a Circle at Aldgate East, it was
probably being turned.

They only have the Wimbleware part of the District on their line
diagrams.

Yes, as that is normally the only part of the District Line they serve
(technically C77s rather than C69s).

C77s were introduced to allow C stock to cover that bit of the
District, but there was never any separation of fleets. The first C
stock on the District was C69, and the first C77 stock went into
service on the Hammersmith.