London Banter

-   -   Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7068-picadilly-frequency-lhr-4-5-a.html)

[email protected] August 8th 08 06:08 AM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

What is the pattern and which service is better to take to terminal 3?

Paul Corfield August 8th 08 07:02 AM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

On Aug 8, 7:08*am, "
wrote:
What is the pattern and which service is better to take to terminal 3?

From the central area it's as follows :-

Every 10 minutes - Hatton Cross - T123 - T5
Every 10 minutes - Hatton Cross - T4 - T123.

The trains serving T4 pause for 8 minutes at T4 before heading back to
London via the loop and T123. Depending on how pressed for time you
are then it is probably best to take a train for T5 and it will go
direct to T123. If you can tolerate an 8 minute wait at T4 then any
train showing Heathrow as a destination is fine. If you are in a
hurry and catch a train serving T4 then get off at Hatton Cross and
wait for the T5 train that should be following 5 minutes behind.

--
Paul Corfield
via Google

Recliner August 8th 08 11:50 AM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

On Aug 8, 7:08 am, "
wrote:
What is the pattern and which service is better to take to terminal
3?

From the central area it's as follows :-

Every 10 minutes - Hatton Cross - T123 - T5
Every 10 minutes - Hatton Cross - T4 - T123.

The trains serving T4 pause for 8 minutes at T4 before heading back to
London via the loop and T123. Depending on how pressed for time you
are then it is probably best to take a train for T5 and it will go
direct to T123. If you can tolerate an 8 minute wait at T4 then any
train showing Heathrow as a destination is fine. If you are in a
hurry and catch a train serving T4 then get off at Hatton Cross and
wait for the T5 train that should be following 5 minutes behind.

Assuming that the trains are running normally, would it ever be quicker
to take a T4 train to T123? I'm assuming it would always be slower, as
not only is there the wait at T4, but travelling via the loop is also
slower.

However, I'm guessing that the T4 trains are much less crowded, so if
you have plenty of time, it might be worth taking a T4 train to T123 in
order to get a seat and have room for luggage. I'd imagine you need to
allow at least an extra five minutes or so, compared to waiting for the
next T5 train.

Roland Perry August 8th 08 12:35 PM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

In message , at 12:50:27 on
Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Recliner remarked:
Assuming that the trains are running normally, would it ever be quicker
to take a T4 train to T123? I'm assuming it would always be slower, as
not only is there the wait at T4, but travelling via the loop is also
slower.

Frankly, worrying about 5 minutes here or there on the trip to Heathrow
pales into insignificance against the two hours you will waste in
various queues having got there.

John Rowland August 8th 08 01:40 PM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:50:27 on
Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Recliner remarked:
Assuming that the trains are running normally, would it ever be
quicker to take a T4 train to T123? I'm assuming it would always be
slower, as not only is there the wait at T4, but travelling via the
loop is also slower.

Frankly, worrying about 5 minutes here or there on the trip to
Heathrow pales into insignificance against the two hours you will
waste in various queues having got there.

.... unless they happen to be the 5 minutes difference between catching and
missing your plane.

Roland Perry August 8th 08 02:00 PM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

In message , at 14:40:55 on Fri,
8 Aug 2008, John Rowland
remarked:
Assuming that the trains are running normally, would it ever be
quicker to take a T4 train to T123? I'm assuming it would always be
slower, as not only is there the wait at T4, but travelling via the
loop is also slower.

Frankly, worrying about 5 minutes here or there on the trip to
Heathrow pales into insignificance against the two hours you will
waste in various queues having got there.

... unless they happen to be the 5 minutes difference between catching and
missing your plane.

Which will only kick in if you are already horrendously late. Catching
up five minutes by queue-jumping inside the airport is a more likely way
to catch a plane in those circumstances.

Paul Corfield August 8th 08 04:26 PM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

wrote:
What is the pattern and which service is better to take to terminal
3?

From the central area it's as follows :-

Every 10 minutes - Hatton Cross - T123 - T5
Every 10 minutes - Hatton Cross - T4 - T123.

The trains serving T4 pause for 8 minutes at T4 before heading back to
London via the loop and T123. Depending on how pressed for time you
are then it is probably best to take a train for T5 and it will go
direct to T123. If you can tolerate an 8 minute wait at T4 then any
train showing Heathrow as a destination is fine. If you are in a
hurry and catch a train serving T4 then get off at Hatton Cross and
wait for the T5 train that should be following 5 minutes behind.

Assuming that the trains are running normally, would it ever be quicker
to take a T4 train to T123? I'm assuming it would always be slower, as
not only is there the wait at T4, but travelling via the loop is also
slower.

Probably correct.

However, I'm guessing that the T4 trains are much less crowded, so if
you have plenty of time, it might be worth taking a T4 train to T123 in
order to get a seat and have room for luggage. I'd imagine you need to
allow at least an extra five minutes or so, compared to waiting for the
next T5 train.

This is fair enough too. The other issue though is whether you really
want to lug you and your belongings off at Hatton Cross and then back on
again when in reality you might "waste" all of 8 minutes by staying on
the train and going via T4. Personally I'd prefer to stay put but then
I rarely cut my margins so thin, when flying, that such a small amount
of time makes the difference between catching and missing my flight.
--
Paul C

Michael R N Dolbear August 13th 08 04:36 PM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

Paul Corfield wrote

This is fair enough too. The other issue though is whether you really
want to lug you and your belongings off at Hatton Cross and then back

on
again when in reality you might "waste" all of 8 minutes by staying

on
the train and going via T4. Personally I'd prefer to stay put but

then

On a related question, the 555 from outside my home is routed Terminal
4, Hatton Cross, Heathrow Central Bus (terminates).

If I am arriving at Terminal 1 or 3 is it worthwhile to take the train
to Terminal 4 and catch the bus there (or the reverse when departing) ?

--
Mike D

Paul Weaver August 13th 08 08:18 PM

Picadilly frequency LHR 4 & 5

On 13 Aug, 19:03, Paul Corfield wrote:
On 13 Aug 2008 16:36:56 GMT, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote

This is fair enough too. The other issue though is whether you really
want to lug you and your belongings off at Hatton Cross and then back

on
again when in reality you might "waste" all of 8 minutes by staying

on
the train and going via T4. *Personally I'd prefer to stay put but

then

On a related question, the 555 from outside my home is routed Terminal
4, Hatton Cross, Heathrow Central Bus (terminates).

If I am arriving at Terminal 1 or 3 is it worthwhile to take the train
to Terminal 4 and catch the bus there (or the reverse when departing) ?

Why not simply go to Hatton Cross? *Going to T4 by train entails going
via Hatton Cross and changing plus the egress time via the terminal.
Seems a waste of time given the bus stops are right outside at Hatton X.

The tube isn't free, so would cost £1 (on oyster). Heathrow Connect
from T123 to T4 is free (I presume since the transfer of HEX)