Old August 22nd 08, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default TfL Admits Livingstone Regime Deliberately Obstructed TrafficFlows

In article , JNugent wrote:
Nick Leverton wrote:

Not my area of expertise nor of interest, sorry. I'm sure you can look
the regs up if you're interested to know what the precise reason was ...

The reason it was done*, in this context, isn't as important as how it
was done. Either there there were regulations allowing it in the early
sixties**, or there weren't.

[* To prevent large and/or slow-moving vehicles from clogging all the
lanes at once - which was starting to happen.]

[** For that is when the third lane ban for lorries came in - 1960s.]

For sure. IIRC the Highway Code has pointers to applicable legislation
for those of its clauses which are legal requirements. You might find
that to be of help in your research.

In the meantime, my statement may have been correct and your understanding
of the legal situation incomplete, or perhaps my understanding was
incomplete, or perhaps I was plain wrong, but logic alone will not
provide the answer as to which, let alone why.

I wish you luck in your quest to find someone who is bothered enough
about it to research the answer as to why lorries could be banned from
some lanes in the 1960s but cars had to wait until 30 or 40 years later
to gain equal rights in that respect.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 9th August 2008)

Old August 22nd 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Nick Leverton wrote:

There, did you spot it ?

Yes, you cared enough to flounce, **** and moan.

Looks like I hit a nerve with my flippancy. My sincere apologies for any
offence caused. I'm sure we all look forwards to your well researched
and factually based explanation of the motorway regulations.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 9th August 2008)
Old August 22nd 08, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Steve Firth wrote:
Really? So how come trucks were banned from using the outside lane on
motorways with three or more lanes?

What makes you think that regulation only applies to motorways?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old August 22nd 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

Really? So how come trucks were banned from using the outside lane on
motorways with three or more lanes?

What makes you think that regulation only applies to motorways?

As it happened, it did only apply on motorways.

It didn't (and AFAIK still doesn't) apply on (the limited number of)
six-lane quasi-motorways such as the A1 at Hatfield (now part of A1(M)
anyway), the A2 at Dartford, the A3 at Kingston, the A12 between M25 and
Colchester or the A46 Stratford - Coventry.
Old August 22nd 08, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Nick Leverton wrote:

I wish you luck in your quest to find someone who is bothered enough
about it to research the answer as to why lorries could be banned from
some lanes in the 1960s but cars had to wait until 30 or 40 years later
to gain equal rights in that respect.

Have you always had difficulty admiting that you are wrong?

Old August 22nd 08, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Nick Leverton wrote:

There, did you spot it ?

Yes, you cared enough to flounce, **** and moan.

Looks like I hit a nerve with my flippancy.

Posting complete crap, as you did, and being corrected on it, as you
were, is not "hitting a nerve".

My sincere apologies for any offence caused.

You didn't cause any offence, I'm laughing at you.

I'm sure we all look forwards to your well researched
and factually based explanation of the motorway regulations.

You're the one claiming to know the motorway "regulations" with your
fallacious claim that classes of vehicles could not be banned from
particular lanes. Despite it being obvious to the world and his dog that
HGVs had been banned from the outside lane for four decades before the
introduction of motorway bus lanes.

You're also the one too dumb to know how proof works. It's your claim,
you support it. Don't expect others to do your homework for you.
Old August 22nd 08, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
Really? So how come trucks were banned from using the outside lane on
motorways with three or more lanes?

What makes you think that regulation only applies to motorways?

Where did I say that it only applies to motorways?
Old August 23rd 08, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , Colin McKenzie
says...
Steve Firth wrote:
Really? So how come trucks were banned from using the outside lane on
motorways with three or more lanes?

What makes you think that regulation only applies to motorways?

Because it does?

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams