London Banter

-   -   Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/716-minimum-speed-limit-sign-after.html)

Paul Weaver September 15th 03 01:19 AM

Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

Brian Watson September 15th 03 06:13 AM

Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

No idea.

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

John September 15th 03 06:26 AM

Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

In article , Paul
Weaver writes
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

The are quite common in tunnels etc. where it would be difficult if
people stopped or went very slow. The Blackwall tunnel used to have them
(it may still do so).

--
John Alexander,

Clive R Robertson September 15th 03 07:39 AM

Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

On 14 Sep 2003 18:19:46 -0700, (Paul Weaver)
wrote:

Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

Yes, it is a minimum speed limit.
It has been there for *many* years.
It applies for the *whole* tunnel.

Now as to *why* it is there, when most traffic has trouble keeping
under the maximum speed limit, is a question for the student!

Regards,
Clive

--
The fastest AS/400 programmer in the west! | Note -- spamtrap in use.
| Use the Reply-to address.
For details of a West London National Trust property, |
visit
http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ | What -- me worry?

Terry Harper September 15th 03 01:45 PM

Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

It's not. If you go through the right hand bore, the limit is only cancelled
at the exit, just before the end of the 50 max limit. The first sign is just
after the toll booths.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Mike Harrison September 15th 03 02:33 PM

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:45:40 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper" wrote:

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
. com...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

It's not. If you go through the right hand bore, the limit is only cancelled
at the exit, just before the end of the 50 max limit. The first sign is just
after the toll booths.

I think there's at least one at Blackwall as well.

Sam Holloway September 15th 03 03:01 PM

Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:33:30 +0100, Mike Harrison
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:45:40 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper" wrote:

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
.com...
Came through the dartford tunnel for the first time tonight, in the
right hand land, and noticed, just underneath the 50 limit, a white 10
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them. Why is it only on a 300 yard stretch?

It's not. If you go through the right hand bore, the limit is only cancelled
at the exit, just before the end of the 50 max limit. The first sign is just
after the toll booths.

I think there's at least one at Blackwall as well.

Yes, I remember spotting those last time I went through the Blackwall
tunnels (couple of months ago).

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
www.samholloway.co.uk

John September 15th 03 07:51 PM

Minimum speed limit sign after the dartford tunnel?

on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit sign? I didnt
think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Please please pretty please can we have some on the A303 when
the shed-draggers are out :-)

Cast_Iron September 15th 03 09:19 PM

John wrote:
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit
sign? I didnt think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Please please pretty please can we have some on the A303
when
the shed-draggers are out :-)

A shed-dragger being?

Brian Watson September 16th 03 05:25 AM

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
John wrote:
on a blue background - is this a minimum speed limit
sign? I didnt think the UK had them.

Yep. In the Highway Code and I've seen them elsewhere too.

Please please pretty please can we have some on the A303
when
the shed-draggers are out :-)

A shed-dragger being?

I believe The Right Honourable Gentleman is referring to "a caravan".

This is a plastic and wood confection that serves as home for so-called
"trailer trash" in the colonies but, for some reason, British owners of such
constructions feel obliged to tow them around the nation's roads at weekends
and each Bank Holiday, thereby replacing the congestion caused at other
times by mothers in mpvs taking a child to the local comprehensive zoo.

--
Brian
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop