Old September 25th 08, 09:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default 378 move and GOB to be DC?

Barry Salter wrote:

The best bet for lengthening at South Tottenham would be at the East
end, but even then you haven't got much room to play with before the
junction.

Wouldn't staggered platforms work there - extend the eastbound platform at
the east end and the westbound at the west end? It wouldn't matter if they
extended beyond the junctions as the only trains stopping at South Tottenham
are those on the T&H line (in fact services from Copper Mill heading to or
from Seven Sisters can't stop as the up/down crossover is midway along the
platforms).

Old September 25th 08, 11:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jack Taylor" wrote

Wouldn't staggered platforms work there - extend the eastbound platform at
the east end and the westbound at the west end? It wouldn't matter if they
extended beyond the junctions as the only trains stopping at South

Tottenham
are those on the T&H line (in fact services from Copper Mill heading to or
from Seven Sisters can't stop as the up/down crossover is midway along the
platforms).

There's a sort of bite out of the westbound platform, to allow for the
throw-over when trains use the crossover.

Peter

Old September 26th 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 24, 10:04*pm, wrote:

So if I got to Denmark Hill station, how would I get to Central London
without the South London Line service?

On a Dartford - Victoria or Sevenoaks - Blackfriars service. (Of
course, the latter will be a Sevenoaks - somewhere in Thameslink North
land service from next March...)
Old September 27th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Sep, 22:26, wrote:

In article
,
(Rupert Candy) wrote:

On Sep 24, 10:04*pm, wrote:

So if I got to Denmark Hill station, how would I get to Central London
without the South London Line service?

On a Dartford - Victoria or Sevenoaks - Blackfriars service. (Of
course, the latter will be a Sevenoaks - somewhere in Thameslink North
land service from next March...)

Not exactly on the way to Liverpool Street though.

For a Denmark Hill aka Camberwell to Liverpool Street journey I have
to say that going via the SLL to London Bridge would not be the first
thing that popped into my head.

Incidentally I don't know how you get from London Bridge to Liverpool
Street - do you take the Northern line to Moorgate and walk round the
corner, or do you take a bus?
(One can take a Circle/Met/H&C train one stop from Moorgate to
Liverpool St station, but I'd choose to walk it at street level as I
think it's just as quick - I suppose the Circle line at Liverrpool
Street does deliver you fairly close to the concourse though. That
said, if I was using Oyster PAYG for my journey on the mainline trains
out of LST then I'd quite possibly go to Liverpool St Underground
station so I could take advantage of being charged for one continuous
journey rather than two separate journeys.)

Anyway, my alternate routes from DH/Camberwell to Liverpool St would
either be to take a bus (routes 185/ 36/ 436) up Camberwell New Road
to Oval tube station then Northern line to Moorgate, or just take a
bus all the way - the 35 and 42 go from Camberwell Green to Liverpool
St, the 40 goes to Aldgate which is a v short walk away, or if one is
feeling adventurous and is prepared to grapple with the somewhat
esoteric ways of Elephant & Castle one can bus hop (i.e. first bus
from Camberwell to E&C, then one of three bus routes on to Liverpool
St). And yes, I'd genuinely say that taking a bus off-peak might well
compare quite favourably to your option of taking a train from DH to
London Bridge and then doing whatever it is that you do. However I'm
aware that often my efforts to persuade people that the bus is a
legitimate option worthy of consideration are just exercises in
futility!

Yet more options could involve taking the train from DH to E&C then
taking the Northern line to Moorgate, or taking a bus from Camberwell
to E&C then the tube, or variations thereof.

Tom Anderson's suggestion of the possibility of taking a direct train
from DH to Farringdon (post-March '09) is also actually a very good
one in my mind - but I'll address what I think are your slightly
misplaced concerns about that downthread...
Old September 27th 08, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Sep, 10:06, wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, wrote:

In article

,
(Rupert Candy) wrote:

On Sep 24, 10:04*pm, wrote:

So if I got to Denmark Hill station, how would I get to Central
London without the South London Line service?

On a Dartford - Victoria or Sevenoaks - Blackfriars service. (Of
course, the latter will be a Sevenoaks - somewhere in Thameslink
North land service from next March...)

Not exactly on the way to Liverpool Street though.

Once the trains are running through, you can change at Farringdon.

A long way round though. Denmark Hill - London Bridge - Liverpool St is a
fairly direct route.

Err, not really - in fact, I'd argue that the via Farringdon route is
as direct as going via London Bridge.

I'm not sure how you get from London Bridge to Liverpool Street? If
it's by tube, then one has to negotiate one's way to the tube station
at London Bridge which is a bit convoluted - then the Northern line
will take you to Moorgate, from whence you either walk or take the
Circle line one stop to Liverpool Street.

If instead you take the bus from London Bridge to Liverpool Street,
then whilst there are four routes that do this journey only two of
them (the 48 and 149) actually go from the bus station directly
outside the concourse - if one wants the possibility of catching any
of them one has to makes ones way to the bus stop on the south side of
London Bridge itself.

Meanwhile the train from DH will take you directly to Farringdon,
whence you just need to cross over to the eastbound Cicle/Met/H&C
platform (possibly using the new wide footbridge that's currently
under construction) and then it's just three stops to Liverpool Street
itself. I will grant you that the train is likely to dawdle a bit from
Blackfriars to Farringdon, as all Thameslink trains currently do -
when Thameslink 2000 (sic) is eventually complete this will be far
nippier.

With regards to which route is "direct" - well the train from DH to
London Bridge swings right out to the east through east Peckham and
Bermondsey before approaching LB, which is hardly geographically very
direct as . Meanwhile the train from DH to Farringdon instead takes a
route that more or less goes directly north into and then through
central London.- then from Farringdon one just needs to go due east
for about a mile.

So I'd have to take you up on your assertion that the Farringdon route
would be "the long way round" and the London Bridge route is "fairly
direct".
Old September 27th 08, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Sep, 14:48, Mizter T wrote:

On 27 Sep, 10:06, wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, wrote:

In article
,
(Rupert Candy) wrote:

On Sep 24, 10:04*pm, wrote:

So if I got to Denmark Hill station, how would I get to Central
London without the South London Line service?

On a Dartford - Victoria or Sevenoaks - Blackfriars service. (Of
course, the latter will be a Sevenoaks - somewhere in Thameslink
North land service from next March...)

Not exactly on the way to Liverpool Street though.

Once the trains are running through, you can change at Farringdon.

A long way round though. Denmark Hill - London Bridge - Liverpool St is a
fairly direct route.

Err, not really - in fact, I'd argue that the via Farringdon route is
as direct as going via London Bridge.

(snip)

One thing I forgot to mention in my reply above (which incidentally
perhaps sounds a bit harsh when I re-read it, that wasn't the
intention) is ELLX phase 2!

This would offer the opportunity of catching a direct train from DH to
the new Shoreditch High Street station, which is just up the road from
Liverpool Street. It's certainly not the direct route from DH to
Liverpool Street that the crow would fly, but it would offer a
frequent (every 15 mins) and direct train service to the eastern edge
of the City by going 'round the outside'. I think it'd be ideal for
journeys from DH to Liverpool Street, with a short walk of 5 mins or
so along Bishopsgate and Norton Folgate between the stations.