Old October 7th 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Southern East Croydon to Milton Keynes service issues

On 7 Oct, 15:54, "Paul Scott" wrote:
A bit of an issue for the upcoming WLL services?

Southern have applied to ORR for the proposed Dec 08 service, but there are
problems because (if I'm reading correctly) Network Rail believe the WCML
Moderation of Competition agreement prevents them allowing a service that
calls at Wembley Central and Kensington Olympia en route from EC to MK...

They mention the pickup/dropoff restrictions at Wembley to get around
the MOC. We'll have a ridiculous situation of passanger for Olympia
changing onto the overground at SPB.

The only competing flow I can see is MKC-WFJ, if Virgin are going to
run any of those services in the new timetable.

Virgin West Coast don't serve Wembley, or Olympia, have never done,
and will never do. I assume they are worried about a loss of MKC-
London traffic, with people going with a cheaper MKC-Wembley/Olympia

and tubing in. I assume they think Harrow is too far away to be
bothered with, and London Midland already run services there anyway.

Shepherds Bush would be the obvious destination for anyone wanting to
avoid a Euston trip, but it isn't a London Terminal (although Vauxhall
is)

Old October 7th 08, 08:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:20:57 -0700 (PDT), Paul Weaver
wrote:

The only competing flow I can see is MKC-WFJ, if Virgin are going to
run any of those services in the new timetable.

My understanding is that they aren't running any such services, except
maybe the odd one in the evening. It's therefore a complete nonsense,
unless VT are actually worried about the tiny trade from MKC to/from
Gatwick that would mostly go by car, taxi or National Express?

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 7th 08, 08:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Virgin West Coast don't serve Wembley, or Olympia, have never done,
and will never do. I assume they are worried about a loss of MKC-
London traffic, with people going with a cheaper MKC-Wembley/Olympia

and tubing in. I assume they think Harrow is too far away to be
bothered with, and London Midland already run services there anyway.

And there is a cheaper LM-only ticket from MKC to EUS/R1256 off-peak.
That's the competition, really.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 7th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Virgin West Coast don't serve Wembley, or Olympia, have never done,
and will never do. I assume they are worried about a loss of MKC-
London traffic, with people going with a cheaper MKC-Wembley/Olympia

and tubing in. I assume they think Harrow is too far away to be
bothered with, and London Midland already run services there anyway.

And there is a cheaper LM-only ticket from MKC to EUS/R1256 off-peak.
That's the competition, really.

I wonder if there will be a comparable SN ticket - it will be unfortunate if
passenger numbers are undermined by two GoVia run franchises not acting in
each others interests...

Paul

Old October 7th 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:43:31 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

I wonder if there will be a comparable SN ticket - it will be unfortunate if
passenger numbers are undermined by two GoVia run franchises not acting in
each others interests...

There is currently no shortage of passengers at all on the "round the
side" line. It could certainly sustain either 8 cars or a half-hourly
service if not more, if only there were paths for it.

Neil

--
Neil Williams