Old October 19th 08, 09:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Visible signs of Thameslink 2000

On 19 Oct, 21:44, Roland Perry wrote:
Thameslink 2012 seems like the best name for it.

The most significant parts of it don't happen until 2012-15
(rebuilding London Bridge and adding flyovers on its approaches,
wiring up the ECML connection, and replacing the whole fleet), so
you'd probably want to call it Thameslink 2015*.

(* unless you're in the camp who thinks the second phase won't happen,
which I've been pondering joining)

Old October 19th 08, 09:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Oct 19, 2:26*pm, Sky Rider wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
They've started piling at the southern end of Blackfriars railway bridge (by the old bridge supports) - presumably
for the second river crossing

Not exactly. It's being used for structural inspections between June 23
and December:http://www.pla.co.uk/notice2mariners...lag/2/id/3053/

Ah, not quite as concrete as I thought then!

You can also add the Herne Hill siding and Luton Airport Parkway/Mill
Hill Broadway platform extensions to your list...

Yes, I pass the Herne Hill siding every day so I'd overlooked that.
Though it remains to be seen whether that will be used for the KO0
timetable.

Old October 19th 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

In uk.railway Sky Rider wrote:
You can also add the Herne Hill siding and Luton Airport
Parkway/Mill Hill Broadway platform extensions to your list...

And the concrete trough between Gasworks and Copenhagen tunnels built
as part of the CTRL works to connect the ECML to SPILL.

And clearance for the new stabling sidings at Cambridge (not sure if
that's Thameslink or just somewhere to put the '1300' carriages).

We're waiting for them to relay and electrify those sidings but I don;t
think they are part of the TLP. The extension of platform 1 for 12 cars
strictly isn't part of the programme either but it's complete in practice.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 20th 08, 07:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
08:35:20 on Sun, 19 Oct 2008, D7666 remarked:
I'll also add the comment it ain't called Thameslink 2000 any
more .... it is Thameslink Project.

Thameslink 2012 seems like the best name for it.

I think "Thameslympink" seems to capture both the 2012 aspect and also
the slow progress.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632948.html
(43 045 at Reading, 1984)
Old October 20th 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Oct 20, 8:17*am, Chris Tolley wrote:

I think "Thameslympink" seems to capture both the 2012 aspect and also
the slow progress.

....not to mention the colour scheme of the 'vibrant' refurbishment of
the 319s...

Old October 20th 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
14:35:03 on Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
The most significant parts of it don't happen until 2012-15
(rebuilding London Bridge and adding flyovers on its approaches,
wiring up the ECML connection, and replacing the whole fleet), so
you'd probably want to call it Thameslink 2015*.

(* unless you're in the camp who thinks the second phase won't happen,
which I've been pondering joining)

Thameslink 2015 it is, then I won't believe it's finished until I
can get a through train from Cambridge to Gatwick - one of the original
attractions of the scheme for me.
Old October 20th 08, 10:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
14:35:03 on Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
The most significant parts of it don't happen until 2012-15
(rebuilding London Bridge and adding flyovers on its approaches,
wiring up the ECML connection, and replacing the whole fleet), so
you'd probably want to call it Thameslink 2015*.

(* unless you're in the camp who thinks the second phase won't happen,
which I've been pondering joining)

Thameslink 2015 it is, then I won't believe it's finished until I can
get a through train from Cambridge to Gatwick - one of the original
attractions of the scheme for me.

Not a total pessimist then, they won't believe it's finished until they can
get from Littlehampton to Kings Lynn...

Paul

Old October 20th 08, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

In uk.railway Sky Rider wrote:
You can also add the Herne Hill siding and Luton Airport
Parkway/Mill Hill Broadway platform extensions to your list...

And the concrete trough between Gasworks and Copenhagen tunnels built
as part of the CTRL works to connect the ECML to SPILL.

And clearance for the new stabling sidings at Cambridge (not sure if
that's Thameslink or just somewhere to put the '1300' carriages).

We're waiting for them to relay and electrify those sidings but I don;t
think they are part of the TLP. The extension of platform 1 for 12 cars
strictly isn't part of the programme either but it's complete in practice.

There are a few bits in the Greater Anglia RUS which, although not giving
much away, suggest it is for train lengthening on the WA route to Liverpool
St. Perhaps ready for the 30 new 4 car trains for the route...

Paul

Old October 20th 08, 10:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
08:35:20 on Sun, 19 Oct 2008, D7666 remarked:
I'll also add the comment it ain't called Thameslink 2000 any
more .... it is Thameslink Project.

Thameslink 2012 seems like the best name for it.

Maybe Thameslink 2013, just to be on the safe side!

MaxB

Old October 20th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

On Oct 19, 11:04*am, Rupert Candy wrote:
Like many on these groups, I try not to believe any transport project
is actually happening "until they start digging". *So, having been
away for a week or so, I was gratified to notice several signs that
"Thameslink 2000" (or whatever they're calling it these days) might
actually happen. *They've started piling at the southern end of
Blackfriars railway bridge (by the old bridge supports) - presumably
for the second river crossing - and there are hoardings at Farringdon
by the north end footbridge, though no signs of actual construction
yet. *I also noticed a stripy eye-catching "Thameslink Project"
information stand at Moorgate - currently empty, but presumably will
soon hold "You're not getting any Thameslink trains any more"
leaflets...

I think that you naive attitude to how a project is implemented then.
Now wonder there are many scew ups when people think that all that is
involved in implementing a project is to "dig holes".
Of course you can cut corners and just face the consequences when it
all goes belly up.

Kevin