Old November 11th 08, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR delays?

I'm just catching up on e-mails and found this dated 11th November

QUOTE

Visitors to World Travel Market are advised that London Underground is
currently experiencing delays on the Docklands Light Rail (DLR) between Bank
Station and Shadwell Station.
Travellers coming to WTM via the Central line are advised to remain on the
train to Stratford and transfer to the Jubilee line alighting at Canning
Town and pick-up the DLR to Custom House.
All other routes to WTM are working normally.
World Travel Market apologies for any inconvenience caused by London
Underground.

UNQUOTE

2 questions.

1) I heard something very similar yesterday. Is there any relation between
the 2 incidents?
2) WRT the actual message is it accurate in apologising for London
Underground?

Old November 11th 08, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:12:58 on
Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Visitors to World Travel Market are advised that London Underground is
currently experiencing delays on the Docklands Light Rail (DLR) between
Bank Station and Shadwell Station.

1) I heard something very similar yesterday. Is there any relation
between the 2 incidents?

I expect it's like the travel news I heard in Sunday that said trains
were disrupted because of works to the Bradway tunnel (south of
Sheffield). Yes, they would be, the tunnel's closed for three months!
But somehow they made it sound like it was just that day.

The DLR seems to be permanently borked in the vicinity of Excel.
Old November 11th 08, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 16:12:58 on Tue,
11 Nov 2008, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Visitors to World Travel Market are advised that London Underground is
currently experiencing delays on the Docklands Light Rail (DLR) between
Bank Station and Shadwell Station.

1) I heard something very similar yesterday. Is there any relation
between the 2 incidents?

I expect it's like the travel news I heard in Sunday that said trains were
disrupted because of works to the Bradway tunnel (south of Sheffield).
Yes, they would be, the tunnel's closed for three months! But somehow they
made it sound like it was just that day.

The DLR seems to be permanently borked in the vicinity of Excel.

Yes... don't get me started about the BBC travel news and railways. They
seem to be incapable of doing any more than parroting what one TOC tells
them. For instance (I can't remember the exact words) "SWT trains are
replaced by buses between Southampton and Basingstoke." Well, if SWT
trains are replaced, what's happening to XC on the same route?

Old November 11th 08, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Yes... don't get me started about the BBC travel news and railways. They
seem to be incapable of doing any more than parroting what one TOC tells
them. For instance (I can't remember the exact words) "SWT trains are
replaced by buses between Southampton and Basingstoke." Well, if SWT
trains are replaced, what's happening to XC on the same route?

I'd guess that probably 95% of 'news' is simply rewritten press releases.
Few journalists ever bother to ask questions, let alone challenge the
'facts'
Plus many 'news' services employ no journalists at all.
--

Andrew

Old November 11th 08, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 11, 4:47*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:12:58 on
Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Graham Harrison
remarked:

Visitors to World Travel Market are advised that London Underground is
currently experiencing delays on the Docklands Light Rail (DLR) between
Bank Station and Shadwell Station.
1) I heard something very similar yesterday. * Is there any relation
between the 2 incidents?

I expect it's like the travel news I heard in Sunday that said trains
were disrupted because of works to the Bradway tunnel (south of
Sheffield). Yes, they would be, the tunnel's closed for three months!
But somehow they made it sound like it was just that day.

The DLR seems to be permanently borked in the vicinity of Excel.

It's completely scrude again tonight. So this morning it was
equipment failures between Shadwell and Bank, now it's signalling
problems at Greenwich.

I get the feeling that it was built so much on the cheap in the 1980s
that it is completely falling apart. One could hope that the problems
are due to all the work going on, but there seems to be more to it
than that. Escalators needing to be replaced after only 17 years is
an example.

Given that it's the only PAYG route from the south east and is often
closed, whether planned or not, it really really is about time that
SET was forced/paid to accept PAYG at least from Lewisham/Greenwich.

Old November 11th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 16:12, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
[...]

Separate incidents. Yesterday was a broken down train (IME a
relatively rare occurrence on the DLR these days) at or near Royal
Albert station (on the Beckton branch, two stops west of Custom House
- the station for Excel... sorry ExCeL!). Dunno about the details of
today's problem, apart from the fact that DLR trains were not running
to/from Bank - could be another broken down train (the same one?) or
otherwise a problem at the station, e.g. a broken down escalator. The
latter is perhaps more likely given the fact that some escalators at
Bank DLR are already out of use because they are being replaced, hence
if there are any other problems then the station is closed before it
becomes unsafe.

Or... perhaps it was simply closed because it was getting far too
crowded, which is a more likely occurrence what with some of the
escalators and passageways being closed off - the extra load of WTF
attendees might have contributed to this, along with the diverted pax
would would normally be using Tower Gateway station which is currently
shut for rebuilding until spring of '09.
Old November 11th 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Announcements on the northern line this morning (Tower Gateway closed)
were suggesting taking the Jubilee from london Bridge to Canary Wharf
and changing there.
Old November 11th 08, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 11, 6:02*pm, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Yes... don't get me started about the BBC travel news and railways. * They
seem to be incapable of doing any more than parroting what one TOC tells
them. * For instance (I can't remember the exact words) "SWT trains are
replaced by buses between Southampton and Basingstoke." * Well, if SWT
trains are replaced, what's happening to XC on the same route?

I'd guess that probably 95% of 'news' is simply rewritten press releases.
Few journalists ever bother to ask questions, let alone challenge the
'facts'
Plus many 'news' services employ no journalists at all.

Hmm. Doesn't explain nonsensical stories like "services from Dartford
to Victoria being diverted because of problems on the Lewisham line".

(The problems were on the Bexleyheath line, and the routes converge
again at Lewisham, which was therefore the first scheduled place they
were calling at after Dartford [via Sidcup], despite the story
implying it was where they were diverted away from. Was this
information really provided by a TOC or was it BBC News that randomly
jumbled all the words?)
Old November 11th 08, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

Tower Gateway is closed long term. It was Bank that had an
unscheduled closure this morning.
Old November 11th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 18:14, MIG wrote:

[...]

What equipment I wonder?

I get the feeling that it was built so much on the cheap in the 1980s
that it is completely falling apart. One could hope that the problems
are due to all the work going on, but there seems to be more to it
than that. *Escalators needing to be replaced after only 17 years is
an example.

Hmm, I don't think so - today's DLR is very different from what it was
on opening. The signalling system has changed entirely (or almost
entirely) since then.