Old November 25th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Bakerloo Line beyond Harrow & Wealdstone

D7666 wrote:
DOO

CCTV

mirrors

OK, I stand corrected on the DOO mirror / CCTV issue.

However, a question then, in our 21st HSE nazi state would they not
required CCTV for any new DOO implementation ? Perhaps I have read
this somewhere any maybe thats where I got the idea from ?

Surely it would depend on the length of the train? A mirror might be
perfectly acceptable for a 2- or 3-car train, but not for 6 or 8 cars.

By the way, please don't use the word 'nazi' to describe something that's
just irritating. It's gratuitous exaggeration, doesn't help your argument,
and devalues the horrors of the real Nazis.
--
Richard J.

Old November 25th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 Nov, 14:05, "Richard J." wrote:

Surely it would depend on the length of the train? *A mirror might be
perfectly acceptable for a 2- or 3-car train, but not for 6 or 8 cars.

Might it be easier to fit CCTV to the train rather than the platform?
I think some of the Electrostars have this facility?

Neil
Old November 25th 08, 02:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

SNIP
[1] Run fast to MKC only due to a delay, presumably so it got a free
run on the slows in front of the 1824 without delaying it. It would,
IMO, have made sense to stop it at Cheddington (if anyone wanted it)
and Bletchley, though, as it'd have seriously reduced the load on the
1824. Or to have attached 4 of its 8 cars onto the 1824 and removed
them at Bletchley.

Or simply just switch the set, and the platforms accordingly...

Old November 25th 08, 03:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 2:05 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
By the way, please don't use the word 'nazi' to describe something that's
just irritating. It's gratuitous exaggeration, doesn't help your argument,
and devalues the horrors of the real Nazis.

Lighten up. Its a common colloquialism and the nazis are just another
part history for anyone under the age of 63.

B2003

Old November 25th 08, 04:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote
Lighten up. Its a common colloquialism and the nazis are just another
part history for anyone under the age of 63.

Only *ignorant* people under 63.
And if it's just another part of history, then why bring it up and prove
your ignorance?
--
Andrew
seo2seo.com

"When 'Do no Evil' has been understood, then learn the harder, braver rule,
Do Good." ~ Arthur Guiterman

Old November 25th 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Charles Ellson wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:47:34 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

On Nov 24, 11:11*pm, D7666 wrote:
On Nov 24, 10:50 pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote

DOO mirrors are certainly fitted at all the stations on that route.

Watford / Snorbens has got mirrors but the 321 is crewed.

I seem to recall that the former Silverlink AC routes (i.e. Euston -
Northampton and Watford - St. Albans) are driver / guard operated as
the DOO mirror positions were surveyed for class 317s and needed to be
repositioned / resurveyed for use by 321s. I think that this was due to
the 317s having a side cab window, which the 321s lack (the door window
being further back than the 317 cab window). This work was never done
and so 321s remain crew operated. Several platforms have lost their
mirrors during the WCML rebuilding / platform lengthening.

The second man is there to sell the tickets on the Stahlbahns line,
isn't he ?

He is. And he's a very nice man!

tom

--
The literature is filled with bizarre occurrances for which we have
no explanation
Old November 25th 08, 04:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 5:03 pm, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
"Boltar" wrote

Lighten up. Its a common colloquialism and the nazis are just another
part history for anyone under the age of 63.

Only *ignorant* people under 63.
And if it's just another part of history, then why bring it up and prove
your ignorance?

Oh give it a rest FFS. The nazis weren't the first genocidal state in
history and they won't be the last. Making out there were some sort of
special case is just BS. Even in the 20th century Stalin persecuted
and murdered far more people than hitler managed yet no one objects
the the word "stalinist" being used. The Khmer Rouge are estimated to
have murdered a 5th of the total population of Cambodia and god knows
what the death toll in Rwanda is up to these days.

B2003

Old November 25th 08, 04:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 5:03 pm, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:
And if it's just another part of history, then why bring it up and prove
your ignorance?

Btw , I didn't bring it up. Might help if you followed the thread.

B2003

Old November 25th 08, 04:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The second man is there to sell the tickets on the Stahlbahns line,
isn't he ?

Yes indeed he does sell tickets but from 2 recent trips on the line
seemed to me the guard was doing more than commercial duties and doing
the traditional gurads role.

--
Nick
Old November 25th 08, 04:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Nov 25, 4:57 pm, Boltar wrote:

On Nov 25, 2:05 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
By the way, please don't use the word 'nazi' to describe something that's
just irritating. It's gratuitous exaggeration, doesn't help your argument,
and devalues the horrors of the real Nazis.

Lighten up. Its a common colloquialism

Indeed.

If one goes down the road of censorship i.e. by attempting to prevent
the use of certain words then [a] one is guilty of the same
totalitarianism of the subject that started this digression [b] one
will ended up not using any adjectives in case someone somewhere at
sometime did something to somebody in history.

--
Nick