Old November 26th 08, 12:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT - Parking in Cambridge

On Nov 26, 1:00�am, wrote:
In article
,

() wrote:
Sarah,

Depends which college and how well you get on with the porters! Also,
it obviously depends on how much parking space they actually have -
not every college has a huge underground car park like mine!

Which would yours be then? Mine is the largest (Trinity) but parking is
quite limited, not that it affects me personally as I live in central
Cambridge anyway.

Some colleges obviously like to treat their graduates better than
others, in the hope of financial assistance when we all become
millionaires! Mine also gives free dining on High Table twice a Term!

Only four times a year for Trinity MAs but then the college owns much of
Felixstowe and Ashford (Kent).

Sam,

It's a REAL shame that the Park & Ride closes so early. It means I can
never use it, since if I want to attend dinner in College it's not
going to be available for my return journey. Even if they only
operated once an hour between say 8p.m. and midnight it would be
something.

It slightly depends on how late you want. There is late shopping on
Wednesdays so P&R runs later then.

However you will have a more relaxed time all round if you come by train.
Travel at the right times and you can take your bike on the trains as I do
in the other direction. Otherwise the Citi 1, 3 and 7 serve the station
and city centre until late. The Citi 1 even has a bit of a night service
at weekends (not by London standards, I know).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin,

Mine is Queens' - not one of the richest by any means, but it
certainly likes to fete its graduates, with dining privileges,
invitation dinners, garden parties etc.

The University Centre also apparently has some free parking spaces for
graduates, but I have yet to try it. In any event, Queens' has always
been more than generous in its parking provision for me! Those rising
bollards in Silver Street still baffle me, though: if the object is to
prevent traffic from the obvious Trumpington /Silver Street
bottleneck, why force traffic down that very junction because it's
impossible to approach Queens' from Queens' Road?

I occasionally use a College guest room, but 4 or 5 times a year I
have use of a cottage in Babraham, so the Park & Ride would be
especially useful from there. I have recently noticed that bus 13 (or
13A) runs between Babraham and the city centre, but don't have the
confidence or trust to use it yet! Unfortunately, there's no easy way
of travelling to Babraham by train, so it's the car I'm afraid.

Marc.

Old November 26th 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

Similarly Citi 4 (Madingley Rd), Citi 2 (Milton, not sure if it still
goes near the new P&R), but I'm not sure if there are ticket sharing
arrangements for these.

Sadly I don't think the Citi 2 has been diverted near the new Milton Park
and Ride. People who would know can be found in news:cam.transport.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 28th 08, 12:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks to all who replied. I think we will be using either The Grand Arcade
or Queen Anne Terrace car park but I'm having trouble working out how to get
into the Grand Arcade car park. The parking map supplied by Cambridge CC is
somewhat ambiguous and the postcode they give for use in sat-navs leads my
Tom Tom to Peas Hill. Could someone tell me if the entrance to the Grand
Arcade car park is in Downing Street or Corn Exchange Street?
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old November 28th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Steve Dulieu wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. I think we will be using either The Grand Arcade
or Queen Anne Terrace car park but I'm having trouble working out how to get
into the Grand Arcade car park. The parking map supplied by Cambridge CC is
somewhat ambiguous and the postcode they give for use in sat-navs leads my
Tom Tom to Peas Hill. Could someone tell me if the entrance to the Grand
Arcade car park is in Downing Street or Corn Exchange Street?

It's in Corn Exhcange Street, which you get to via Trumptington Road
and then Pembroke Street, which becomes Downing Street. You can't get
in from the other end.

Best bet is probably to get off the M11 at the A603 junction, head
towards Cambridge, turn right at the first roundabout onto Fen
Causeway, left at the end onto Trumpington Street, and then right into
Pembroke Street. Dead easy!