Old December 22nd 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL's new rapist minicab advert

I see the rapist minicab driver is still white ... has Boris sacked any of
Ken's racist Labour cronies since he took office at all?

Old December 22nd 08, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I see the rapist minicab driver is still white ... has Boris sacked any of
Ken's racist Labour cronies since he took office at all?

"I do very much regret any offence caused by any past newspaper
articles. It really was never my intention to cause offence, but to
provoke debate. The articles, which I deeply regret writing, also don't
give a fair reflection of my views. I want to make clear that I am
emphatically not anti-immigration and can produce many quotes from my
writings in praise of immigration. Indeed, as I wrote in 2002.

"I believe that immigration, in getting cultures to mix and learn from
each other, in letting people better their lives in a country of their
own choice and helping them escape persecution, can be an enormously
powerful and positive force for good. Immigration has undoubtedly
enriched Britain over the centuries."

I have repeatedly publicly condemned racism, and those who espouse
racism. Over a year ago I wrote in the Spectator.:

"The Left was definitely right on basic moral issues, particularly on
promoting tolerance whether it be gay rights, women's rights or
combating racism."

I want to assure you that my policy advice to the mayor will be based on
the following principles: support for diversity, opposition to racism
and other forms of discrimination, support for immigrants and immigrant
communities, and support for equality of opportunity. I invite you to
judge me by these standards, not by what I may have written some years
in the past."

That was Anthony Browne, Boris Johnson's Policy Director, writing
recently to apologise to Labour's Jennette Arnold after she highlighted
some unpleasant hack journalism he'd written prior to his appointment.

It's got bugger all to do with transport though, hasn't it, John?

Tom
Old December 23rd 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Dec, 23:42, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I see the rapist minicab driver is still white ... has Boris sacked any of
Ken's racist Labour cronies since he took office at all?

This is nonsense John.
Old December 23rd 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 22, 11:42*pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I see the rapist minicab driver is still white ... has Boris sacked any of
Ken's racist Labour cronies since he took office at all?

"Black men are rapists" is a very unpleasant racial stereotype that
still, sadly, exists in real life. "White men are rapists" is not.
Therefore, picking a white man for your anti-rape poster has no dodgy
connotations at all, whereas picking a black man for said poster
utterly does.

(I suppose they could pick an Asian man, but given that the majority
of men in London are white that'd be a bit odd. If the same campaign
were run in India, it'd clearly be appropriate to show an Indian man
rather than a white man or a black man...)

Are you a) actually incapable of thinking the above through; b)
unaware that racists traditionally stereotype black men as rapists; or
c) a racist who stereotypes black men as rapists? Because I can't see
any other explanation for why you'd even find this controversial...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old December 23rd 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 23, 12:48 pm, John B wrote:
"Black men are rapists" is a very unpleasant racial stereotype that
still, sadly, exists in real life. "White men are rapists" is not.
Therefore, picking a white man for your anti-rape poster has no dodgy
connotations at all, whereas picking a black man for said poster
utterly does.

You do spout a load of ******** sometimes. I suppose only black guys
should portray paedophiles then and only white guys drug dealers?

B2003

Old December 24th 08, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 24, 10:48 am, James Farrar wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:03:29 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Dec 23, 12:48 pm, John B wrote:
"Black men are rapists" is a very unpleasant racial stereotype that
still, sadly, exists in real life. "White men are rapists" is not.
Therefore, picking a white man for your anti-rape poster has no dodgy
connotations at all, whereas picking a black man for said poster
utterly does.

You do spout a load of ******** sometimes.

For Christmas I shall be getting a new irony detector. My old one just
broke.

Look out Ponsonby, the cheap seats are getting a bit lairy, must be
the christmas brandy.

B2003
Old December 27th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 04:48:17 -0800 (PST), John B wrote:

I see the rapist minicab driver is still white ... has Boris sacked any of
Ken's racist Labour cronies since he took office at all?

Are you a) actually incapable of thinking the above through; b)
unaware that racists traditionally stereotype black men as rapists; or
c) a racist who stereotypes black men as rapists? Because I can't see
any other explanation for why you'd even find this controversial...

The reason this is controversial is that almost everyone depicted in
TfL's publicity is black or Asian, *except* when they are some sort of
criminal (fare dodger, rapist, etc) in which case they are invariably
white.
Old December 27th 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 04:48:17 -0800 (PST), John B wrote:

I see the rapist minicab driver is still white ... has Boris sacked
any of Ken's racist Labour cronies since he took office at all?

Are you a) actually incapable of thinking the above through; b)
unaware that racists traditionally stereotype black men as rapists;
or c) a racist who stereotypes black men as rapists? Because I can't
see any other explanation for why you'd even find this
controversial...

The reason this is controversial is that almost everyone depicted in
TfL's publicity is black or Asian, *except* when they are some sort of
criminal (fare dodger, rapist, etc) in which case they are invariably
white.

Thank you. Nice to see I'm not the only one still awake.

Old December 27th 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008, John Rowland wrote:

asdf wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 04:48:17 -0800 (PST), John B wrote:

I see the rapist minicab driver is still white ... has Boris sacked
any of Ken's racist Labour cronies since he took office at all?

Are you a) actually incapable of thinking the above through; b)
unaware that racists traditionally stereotype black men as rapists;
or c) a racist who stereotypes black men as rapists? Because I can't
see any other explanation for why you'd even find this
controversial...

The reason this is controversial is that almost everyone depicted in
TfL's publicity is black or Asian, *except* when they are some sort of
criminal (fare dodger, rapist, etc) in which case they are invariably
white.

Thank you. Nice to see I'm not the only one still awake.

I don't deny that this is the case (i haven't checked - it might be, it
might not be), can i put my hand up as a white man and say i don't give
the slightest resemblance of a toss about this?

I'm happy for TfL (and the Department for Education and Whatever, in some
similar stock photo selection bias that my teacher aunt pointed out to me
over christmas) to stereotype me and my white brethren as any combination
of rapists, racists, or taxi drivers if they like, because it doesn't
actually make the blindest bit of difference to anything that actually
matters. We're not a group that's on the receiving end of discrimination -
nothing that actually does any harm, anyway. Black people are. They need
some gentle treatment in these matters. We don't.

tom

--
Would you like to remember more?