Old January 26th 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message e.net, at
10:32:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mark Goodge
remarked:
the area where the stairs now emerge
will be outside the building instead of inside it.

There's are some artist's impressions of the station after the
concourse redevelopment at:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ss_station.htm

I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

Old January 26th 09, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

[snip]

As I said earlier, the walk is considerably less than Midland Mainline
passengers have been enduring since the refurbishment of St Pancras
began - for a couple of years the only way to the tube was a long walk
outside in the rain; now it's a slightly longer walk, albeit indoors.

That's all part of the Government plan to improve peole's fitness, By the
time you've walked from the train to the UndergrounD and back in the evening
you've done your reccomended 30 minutes exercise a day :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old January 26th 09, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
02:49:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, John B remarked:
Remember also, that people arriving on the main platforms at KX will be
tipped out into that open space (with very limited coverage from the
rain). This halfway house will get them used to packing an umbrella

Eh? The new footbridge to the new western concourse will be the
primary exit route to the Tube, St Pancras, etc. The exit to the south
where the current concourse is will only be for people exiting into
the local area.

My understanding is that the bridge is only for passengers going *to*
the trains.
Old January 26th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 26 Jan, 10:50, Roland Perry wrote:

In message e.net, at
10:32:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mark Goodge
remarked:

the area where the stairs now emerge
will be outside the building instead of inside it.

There's are some artist's impressions of the station after the
concourse redevelopment at:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ss_station.htm

I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

For reference:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...il271107_1.jpg

It looks too close to Euston Road to be that. I'm guessing that the
arrangement will mean that the lift machinery need not protrude above
the surface.
Old January 26th 09, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 26 Jan, 10:50, Roland Perry wrote:
I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

My guess is it'll be starting at basement level (ie the tube ticket
hall), rather than street level. It's not shown on any diagrams I can
find though.

The Northern Ticket Hall opens in December this year, and I would hope
will offer an indoor connection to KX. That may be why the Duke of
York has been closed.

Old January 26th 09, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
03:11:09 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

For reference:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...il271107_1.jpg

It looks too close to Euston Road to be that. I'm guessing that the
arrangement will mean that the lift machinery need not protrude above
the surface.

So this lift is only from the booking hall level to the tube lines, not
from the surface?
Old January 26th 09, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ation_nrail271...

It looks too close to Euston Road to be that. I'm guessing that the
arrangement will mean that the lift machinery need not protrude above
the surface.

So this lift is only from the booking hall level to the tube lines, not
from the surface?

Yes. From the webpage I cited earlier:

"This closure is to enable a lift to be installed to provide step-free
access from the ticket hall to the Northern line platforms."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj....aspx#entrance

It does make sense to avoid having a direct link from the platforms to
the surface that would bypass the ticket hall. However the 'green
oval' arrangement you noted earlier might in fact play host to a
separate lift that would link the surface to the ticket hall.
Old January 26th 09, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
03:14:45 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:
The Northern Ticket Hall opens in December this year,

As soon as that? Is it timed to co-incide with the opening of the Kent
Domestics. Will all the new escalators/passageways to the tube lines be
complete as well?

and I would hope will offer an indoor connection to KX.

The entrances to the northern hall will be quite close to the KX
Suburban platforms, and therefore a long de-tour.

The new tube entrance from KX Mainline will be from somewhere around the
current Ladies toilets, and will lead to the existing ticket hall in a
passage under the current ex-GNER ticket office. This will emerge into
the existing ticket hall in the same place as the passageway from the
soon-to-be-closed stairs.
Old January 26th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
03:26:25 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
"This closure is to enable a lift to be installed to provide step-free
access from the ticket hall to the Northern line platforms."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj....aspx#entrance

It does make sense to avoid having a direct link from the platforms to
the surface that would bypass the ticket hall.

If you mean "it makes sense not to bypass the barrier line", then that
narrows the possibilities regarding where this lift will be installed.
In other words, it will have to be somewhere between the barriers and
the escalators - which doesn't feel like it's anywhere near the current
"landside" stairs that are being closed.

However the 'green oval' arrangement you noted earlier might in fact
play host to a separate lift that would link the surface to the ticket
hall.

There's nothing shown on the plans (which I've now found). Indeed it may
well be above the escalator down to the Victoria Line, which limits the
possibilities of putting anything overhead.
Old January 26th 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 26 Jan, 11:33, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
03:14:45 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mr Thant
remarked:

The Northern Ticket Hall opens in December this year,

As soon as that? Is it timed to co-incide with the opening of the Kent
Domestics. Will all the new escalators/passageways to the tube lines be
complete as well?

It's almost as if there's a masterplan at work! I think the timing is
intended to coincide with the arrival of the Kent high-speed trains at
St. P.

and I would hope will offer an indoor connection to KX.

The entrances to the northern hall will be quite close to the KX
Suburban platforms, and therefore a long de-tour.

The new tube entrance from KX Mainline will be from somewhere around the
current Ladies toilets, and will lead to the existing ticket hall in a
passage under the current ex-GNER ticket office. This will emerge into
the existing ticket hall in the same place as the passageway from the
soon-to-be-closed stairs.

Aha, that makes sense.