Old February 4th 09, 11:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New platforms at Stratford

Any hint of when they might open? Is someone getting their backsides
kicked over the delay?

The boards were showing actual destinations and actual trains when I
looked recently.

Old February 4th 09, 12:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 11:43, Martin Petrov wrote:
Any hint of when they might open?

Easter, allegedly. NRE reports a closure on 10 April (Good Friday).

Is someone getting their backsides kicked over the delay?

It's a DLR project and Network Rail are apparently the ones at fault,
so you'd hope so.

Old February 4th 09, 12:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Any hint of when they might open?

Easter, allegedly. NRE reports a closure on 10 April (Good Friday).

Ta!
Old February 4th 09, 12:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 12:10, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 4 Feb, 11:43, Martin Petrov wrote:

Any hint of when they might open?

Easter, allegedly. NRE reports a closure on 10 April (Good Friday).

Is someone getting their backsides kicked over the delay?

It's a DLR project and Network Rail are apparently the ones at fault,
so you'd hope so.

For the sake of people who don't know what this is about, the OP is
referring to the new (terminating) platforms at Stratford for the
North London Line (London Overground).

Stuff I've read elsewhere suggests that Network Rail failed to install
the connection from the current NLL alignment (west of Stratford) up
to the new platforms during the Xmas/New Year closure.

I guess this delay is preventing the DLR getting to work on converting
the low-level route as part of their Stratford Int'l Extension project
- though I dare say they may wisely have factored in some leeway here.
Old February 4th 09, 01:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 4, 12:10*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 4 Feb, 11:43, Martin Petrov wrote:

Any hint of when they might open?

Easter, allegedly. NRE reports a closure on 10 April (Good Friday).

Easter is my understanding of when it is hoped to do the work. The
delay in getting this date is down to the fact that there are so many
closures already booked that affect the lines in the Stratford area.

Is someone getting their backsides kicked over the delay?

It's a DLR project and Network Rail are apparently the ones at fault,
so you'd hope so.

It is a NR caused delay - whether backsides are sore I could not
possibly say.

It will be interesting to see if this switchover is on the critical
path or whether there is programme float on the DLR works. I'm not
aware that there is any particular date that has been committed to in
2010 in terms of having the link in service. Obviously it has to be
running before the Olympics but there's plenty of time between 2010
and mid 2012.

Paul Corfield

Old February 4th 09, 01:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 13:19, plcd1 wrote:
It will be interesting to see if this switchover is on the critical
path or whether there is programme float on the DLR works.

Apart from rebuilding the platforms and replacing the track, there's
not much work to be done at Stratford so it's probably not that
crucial that it's been delayed.

The major works are at Canning Town where there putting in new access
to the platform and doing very major stuff to the junction, and at
Stratford International where the station is in a big box and they've
also had to widen an overbridge on the approach. These all appear to
be well advanced. There's not a lot of visible progress on the new
intermediate stations though.

I'm not
aware that there is any particular date that has been committed to in
2010 in terms of having the link in service. *Obviously it has to be
running before the Olympics but there's plenty of time between 2010
and mid 2012.

HS1 commuters have been promised the bus link from the station will be
very short term, so there's some pressure to get it open quickly.

Old February 4th 09, 02:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 4, 12:31*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 4 Feb, 12:10, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 4 Feb, 11:43, Martin Petrov wrote:

Any hint of when they might open?

Easter, allegedly. NRE reports a closure on 10 April (Good Friday).

Is someone getting their backsides kicked over the delay?

It's a DLR project and Network Rail are apparently the ones at fault,
so you'd hope so.

For the sake of people who don't know what this is about, the OP is
referring to the new (terminating) platforms at Stratford for the
North London Line (London Overground).

Stuff I've read elsewhere suggests that Network Rail failed to install
the connection from the current NLL alignment (west of Stratford) up
to the new platforms during the Xmas/New Year closure.

I understood that the problem was that the replacement signalling
couldn't be commissioned, so the track slew didn't take place. The new
track is in place on the curve and all that will happen is that the
connection to the low level lines will be slewed to connect to the new
platform lines instead. Of course, this can't take place without
losing access to the low level tracks, so no signals would have meant
no service.

Old February 4th 09, 04:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 13:50, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 4 Feb, 13:19, plcd1 wrote:

It will be interesting to see if this switchover is on the critical
path or whether there is programme float on the DLR works.

Apart from rebuilding the platforms and replacing the track, there's
not much work to be done at Stratford so it's probably not that
crucial that it's been delayed.

[For the sake of clarity Mr Thant is speaking of the work to convert
the low-level platforms currently occupied by the NLL for the new DLR
line.]

The major works are at Canning Town where there putting in new access
to the platform and doing very major stuff to the junction, and at
Stratford International where the station is in a big box and they've
also had to widen an overbridge on the approach. These all appear to
be well advanced. There's not a lot of visible progress on the new
intermediate stations though.

The work at Canning Town is interesting - new escalators/stairs and I
guess a lift has led to part of the existing platform being demolished
(I suspect the rest will be rebuilt too) and a bit circular hole being
cut down from track level into the 'undercroft' below. Visible from a
passing DLR train on the eastbound platform, somewhat visible from the
platform itself (especially if you're tall).

Interesting to hear about the widening of an overbridge on the
approach to Stratford Int'l - I take it this is the road bridge over
the 'station box' just to the west of the station building? If so I
suppose work was done on it during the night when trains weren't
running on the CTRL.

I'm not
aware that there is any particular date that has been committed to in
2010 in terms of having the link in service. *Obviously it has to be
running before the Olympics but there's plenty of time between 2010
and mid 2012.

HS1 commuters have been promised the bus link from the station will be
very short term, so there's some pressure to get it open quickly.

I think HS1 commuters will just have to accept being 'pioneers' for a
short period as they pitch up in the middle of a building site. I
wonder when there will be pedestrian access to Stratford Int'l - and
more to the point, not any pedestrian access but a more or less direct
walking route from Stratford Regional to Stratford Int'l through the
Stratford City development? Might there be a period where the DLR
actually provides the only way to get between these points I wonder?
Old February 4th 09, 04:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 16:32, Mizter T wrote:
Interesting to hear about the widening of an overbridge on the
approach to Stratford Int'l - I take it this is the road bridge over
the 'station box' just to the west of the station building? If so I
suppose work was done on it during the night when trains weren't
running on the CTRL.

Sorry I've got that wrong. High Meads Loop (the freight line past SI)
had to be realigned where it crosses the station cutting to allow the
DLR track alongside. I'd somehow got the idea in my head that the road
bridge over High Meads Loop needed widening, but it appears to have
built the correct width from the start.

btw, this map has a very recent aerial photo of the Olympic site if
you zoom in on Stratford, showing the new platforms, the new curve,
and the SI DLR station box:
http://www.london2012.com/in-your-area/map/index.php

Old February 4th 09, 05:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 4 Feb, 16:57, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 4 Feb, 16:32, Mizter T wrote:

Interesting to hear about the widening of an overbridge on the
approach to Stratford Int'l - I take it this is the road bridge over
the 'station box' just to the west of the station building? If so I
suppose work was done on it during the night when trains weren't
running on the CTRL.

Sorry I've got that wrong. High Meads Loop (the freight line past SI)
had to be realigned where it crosses the station cutting to allow the
DLR track alongside. I'd somehow got the idea in my head that the road
bridge over High Meads Loop needed widening, but it appears to have
built the correct width from the start.

Aha, ok that makes sense - I now remember looking at something before
that showed the DLR line just skirting along the edge of the wide
bridge (or is it a tunnel) that crosses over the Stratford Int'l
station box. Unless I'm mistaken it will then continue hugging the
High Meads Loop line (*under* the road bridge in question) down to the
junction area where it will then take over the existing NLL alignment
into Stratford low-level.

btw, this map has a very recent aerial photo of the Olympic site if
you zoom in on Stratford, showing the new platforms, the new curve,
and the SI DLR station box:
http://www.london2012.com/in-your-area/map/index.php

That's excellent, thanks - yes, it's all clearly shown on there,
including the new lines up to the new NLL platforms ready to be
connected in the junction area (is that High Meads Jn? I'm not sure,
no Quail to hand unfortunately). It also shows the recent concrete box
that has been built around the NLL (to be DLR) alignment to the north
of Stratford Regional station - I presume this is to tuck the line
away underground beneath the Stratford City development.

It also obviously shows the large amount of demolition and clearing
work that has taken place since the summer of 2007, and the main
stadium can clearly be seen taking shape.

My reading of things is that the main road access to and from
Stratford Int'l was always going to be via Waterden Road, which is
well within the perimeter of the closed-off Olympic Park site - I
wouldn't expect this road to open to public traffic until the Park is
more or less finishing completion. Until then I suspect that access to
and from Stratford Int'l will be by the bus shuttle and then later on
by DLR, with a walking route presumably opening at some point.