Old February 6th 09, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Signal failure on the central line?

I had the misfortune to have to use the tube yesterday and got stuck
on the central line due to a signal failure at liverpool street.

Eh?

The central line is ATO, I assumed the remaining signals were just an
emergency backup system. What does it matter if one of them fails and
why would it mess up the service?

B2003

Old February 6th 09, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Feb, 10:26, wrote:
The central line is ATO, I assumed the remaining signals were just an
emergency backup system. What does it matter if one of them fails and
why would it mess up the service?

"Signal failure" is a generic term they use for a failure of the
signalling system, and only occasionally means a failure of an actual
signal.

(The Central Line still has a relatively conventional signalling
system, it's just conveyed to the train through the track rather than
to the driver through coloured lights)

Old February 6th 09, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 6, 10:30*am, Mr Thant
wrote:
(The Central Line still has a relatively conventional signalling
system, it's just conveyed to the train through the track rather than
to the driver through coloured lights)

You sure? The trains don't just stop at the signals, they stop pretty
much anywhere. I assumed it was moving block but I guess not?

B2003

Old February 6th 09, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Feb, 10:30, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 6 Feb, 10:26, wrote:

The central line is ATO, I assumed the remaining signals were just an
emergency backup system. What does it matter if one of them fails and
why would it mess up the service?

"Signal failure" is a generic term they use for a failure of the
signalling system, and only occasionally means a failure of an actual
signal.

Most likely a track circuit failure perhaps?
Old February 6th 09, 10:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
02:55:33 on Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Mizter T remarked:
"Signal failure" is a generic term they use for a failure of the
signalling system, and only occasionally means a failure of an actual
signal.

Most likely a track circuit failure perhaps?

On National Rail it's often chavs stealing the wiring (for the copper).

Old February 6th 09, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 6, 10:55*am, Mizter T wrote:
Most likely a track circuit failure perhaps?

Something I should have mentioned - kudos to the driver who kept us
informed all the time exactly what was going on and suggested we leg
it at notting hill gate (which I duly did and rediscovered the full
horrors of the circle line but thats another story).

B2003

Old February 6th 09, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Feb, 11:14, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
02:55:33 on Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Mizter T remarked:

"Signal failure" is a generic term they use for a failure of the
signalling system, and only occasionally means a failure of an actual
signal.

Most likely a track circuit failure perhaps?

On National Rail it's often chavs stealing the wiring (for the copper).

Not something that I recall happening on LU, nor indeed on the
mainline railways in London itself - I'm sure it must have though. I'm
speaking about people nicking wired-in wiring, which excludes this
audacious attempt at theft from London Bridge station that then turned
into a rather dangerous getaway attempt:
(Is the guy on the right pulling a face?...)
Old February 6th 09, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes
On National Rail it's often chavs stealing the wiring (for the copper).

Not something that I recall happening on LU, nor indeed on the mainline
railways in London itself - I'm sure it must have though. I'm speaking
about people nicking wired-in wiring, which excludes this audacious
attempt at theft from London Bridge station that then turned into a
rather dangerous getaway attempt:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6447625.stm (Is the guy on
the right pulling a face?...)

Yes, there have been instances on LU too.
Old February 6th 09, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 6, 12:07*pm, Mizter T wrote:
(Is the guy on the right pulling a face?...)

Nah , probably just another inbred pikey.

B2003