Old March 6th 09, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The "Lasso Line"

Wasn't the Circle Line a legal requirement of the act which enabled the line
through Monument to be built? Will Parliament have to okay this plan? Or
will Harriett Harman just declare it to be approved in the court of public
opinion (i.e. it's what Gordon wants).

Old March 6th 09, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Wasn't the Circle Line a legal requirement of the act which enabled
the line through Monument to be built? Will Parliament have to okay
this plan? Or will Harriett Harman just declare it to be approved in
the court of public opinion (i.e. it's what Gordon wants).

I doubt if Gordon Brown could name ten stations on the Circle Line!

Old March 6th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, MIG wrote:

I still think that putting the moon on a stick is probably easier than
getting the proposal to work. I give it six weeks of chaos before they
revert to the current pattern.

Unless they're planning to upgrade the signalling, which i don't think
they are, yes.

tom

--
if you can't beat them, build them
Old March 6th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, James Farrar wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

Subject: The "Lasso Line"
From: "John Rowland"
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:

The Metropolitan line will still go to Aldgate as present. The planned
service is

6tph Hammersmith - Barking
6tph Hammersmith - Edgware Road - Aldgate - Victoria - Edgware Road
6tph Uxbridge - Aldgate
6tph Wimbledon - Edgware Road

So the Circle, always crowded, will get less frequent...

It will? Isn't the Circle 6tph at the moment?

It nominally has a train every 8 minutes, so 7.5 tph.

tom

--
if you can't beat them, build them

Old March 6th 09, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Wasn't the Circle Line a legal requirement of the act which enabled
the line through Monument to be built? Will Parliament have to okay
this plan? Or will Harriett Harman just declare it to be approved in
the court of public opinion (i.e. it's what Gordon wants).

I doubt that there is any such law. Even if there was trains are still
going to do a complete lap of the Circle Line from Edgware Road to
Edgware Road.

Peter Smyth

Old March 6th 09, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From: "John Rowland"
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:

The Metropolitan line will still go to Aldgate as present. The planned
service is

6tph Hammersmith - Barking
6tph Hammersmith - Edgware Road - Aldgate - Victoria - Edgware Road
6tph Uxbridge - Aldgate
6tph Wimbledon - Edgware Road

So the Circle, always crowded, will get less frequent...

It will? Isn't the Circle 6tph at the moment?

It nominally has a train every 8 minutes, so 7.5 tph.

I haven't got the current WTT, but I thought it was every 8½ minutes in
the peaks and every 10 minutes off-peak.
--
Richard J.
Old March 7th 09, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 6, 12:23*pm, wrote:
On Mar 6, 9:22*am, MIG wrote:

I still think that putting the moon on a stick is probably easier than
getting the proposal to work. *I give it six weeks of chaos before
they revert to the current pattern.

Could it be any worse than the current circle line? From my limited
experience the circle line simply doesn't work in the rush hour. If
its not delayed its only because its not running at all.

B2003

The Circle Line is something of a myth I agree but, under the
proposals, the Hammersmith Line will become a myth as well.
Old March 7th 09, 06:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

After all those circuits of the Circle Line is any one train in the
lead?
Old March 7th 09, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:15:58 on Fri, 6
Mar 2009, Walter Briscoe remarked:
My most frequent usage is Heathrow-Paddington-KX, and clockwise is
step free.

Only if you count escalators as step-free.

http://directenquiries.com/stationdi...Detail&Title=N
ational+Rail+(Platforms+1+to+8)+-+Entrance+to+Ticket+Hall&did=0218-00304
20_E2H&level=3 shows either 21 steps or an escalator down.

It's wrong (or at the very least incomplete) for years there's been a
lift from the lawn area down to the ticket hall, and from the ticket
hall it's a level passage to the clockwise platform. I agree the lift
isn't very well signed (it looks more like it goes up to the balcony
overlooking the lawn).