Old March 16th 09, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Where to buy paper travelcard

On Mar 13, 11:32*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
The point we are arguing about is whether a Travelcard on Oyster
counts, if you have a paper counterpart as well (different from PAYG
which definitely isn't valid). Certainly, I've never had any problem
using 2 for 1 with my LU issued Oyster Gold Card, which comes with a
paper part. It doesn't say that Travelcards on Oyster are not valid,
they are just not included in the list.

Well, I think what it says is pretty clear:
"Can I use an Oyster card? No, except as shown below."

And "below" is (a) Freedom Pass (which is not branded as Oyster anyway)
and (b) "2FOR1 Oyster card offers", which have now ceased. *I'm pleased
for you that you've managed to persuade the attractions to accept your
Oyster card and the receipt thingy as a valid rail ticket, but in view
of what the FAQ says I wouldn't be confident enough to recommend to
anyone else that they try it.

No, you're missing the point that a season Travelcard, legally, *is* a
National Rail ticket (whereas an Oyster PAYG card, obviously, isn't).
The media on which said Travelcard is printed is irrelevant.

(in any case, my annual Travelcard is on Oyster, but was issued by
First Capital Connect, which seems to go against your original
conjecture...).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 16th 09, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

No, you're missing the point that a season Travelcard, legally, *is* a
National Rail ticket (whereas an Oyster PAYG card, obviously, isn't).
The media on which said Travelcard is printed is irrelevant.

Not entirely. I once had an Annual Hove to all zones Gold travelcard which
was printed (by mistake) on rail-only Gold Card ticket stock. A (jobsworth)
bus driver refused to accept it despite it quite clearly showing that it was
valid in all zones.

D A Stocks