Old March 13th 09, 03:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Where to buy paper travelcard

I'll arrive to stansted airport and my hotel is near blackwall. I'll
stay in london for a week so i need a 7day travelcard and I'd like to
buy a paper travelcard to use 2for1 vouchers. A friend suggested me to
take national express coach to stansted, then the jubilee line to
canning town and finally dlr to blackwall. In a previous post you said
in Stratford i can only buy oyster travelcard. So where can i buy the
paper travelcard?

Thanks in advance

Old March 13th 09, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 13, 3:54*am, Davide Trani wrote:
I'll arrive to stansted airport and my hotel is near blackwall. I'll
stay in london for a week so i need a 7day travelcard and I'd like to
buy a paper travelcard to use 2for1 vouchers. A friend suggested me to
take national express coach to stansted, then the jubilee line to
canning town and finally dlr to blackwall. In a previous post you said
in Stratford i can only buy oyster travelcard. So where can i buy the
paper travelcard?

Thanks in advance

I think you meant "... coach to Stratford". I was wondering if there
were any National Rail ticket machines at Stratford that would sell a
seven-day travelcard, but if not (someone will confirm) ...

It depends on the relative prices, how much you are carrying and how
many single fares you are prepared to pay before getting the
travelcard

The quickest option is probably to get a train from Stansted to
Liverpool Street, then get a paper travelcard from the National Rail
ticket office there and then get one of many trains to Stratford from
Liverpool Street (or get the DLR at Bank nearby).

If you had loads of time, you could get the coach to Victoria instead
of Stratford, get a travelcard from the National Rail ticket office
there and then get the Underground.

If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

If you don't mind paying a single DLR fare first, you could go by DLR
to Limehouse and (I think) get the travelcard at the National Rail
ticket office.
Old March 13th 09, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
00:54:34 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?
Old March 13th 09, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Mar, 07:54, MIG wrote:
[...]

The quickest option is probably to take the train from Stansted
directly to Stratford (they leave at 3 mins past the hour most of the
day, except during the peaks and early morning when you have to change
at Tottenham Hale) and buy your weekly travelcard at Stratford.
Journey time is just over an hour.
Old March 13th 09, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2009-03-13 09:28:43 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message
, at
00:54:34 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...fa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul

said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford...

Old March 13th 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 13, 8:28*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
00:54:34 on Fri, 13 Mar 2009, MIG
remarked:

If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

IIRC it doesn't have a staffed NXEA ticket office, only an Underground
one, and LU don't sell paper season tickets.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old March 13th 09, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:15:55 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.

Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...hread/thread/f
e176607afa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul
said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford...

OK. So that raises the question: What's the disadvantage of an
Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a paper one? In other words, where
will it not be accepted that a paper one would.
Old March 13th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2009-03-13 14:19:41 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 13:15:55 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.
Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...hread/thread/f
e176607afa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul
said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford...

OK. So that raises the question: What's the disadvantage of an
Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a paper one? In other words, where
will it not be accepted that a paper one would.

2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

Old March 13th 09, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2009-03-13 14:19:41 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 13:15:55 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
If you were adventurous you could find Maryland station, which is very
near Stratford, and get it there.
*Stratford is a much bigger station - why won't a paper Travelcard be
available from there?

http://groups.google.it/group/uk.tra...hread/thread/f
e176607afa9c4d1?hl=it#

Paul
said the travel card will be issued on oyster if i buy it at Stratford....

OK. So that raises the question: What's the disadvantage of an
Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a paper one? In other words, where
will it not be accepted that a paper one would.

2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

This isn't true, they are available for use with any travelcard.
However, you do need the record card to prove that you've got a
travelcard on your oystercard. (I don't know what the situation is
with weekly travelcards on Oyster and record cards). I've never had a
problem with my annual travelcard on Oyster, but that has the
associated Gold Card.

Old March 13th 09, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:31:18 on
Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Davide Trani remarked:
What's the disadvantage of an Oyster-held Travelcard as opposed to a
paper one? In other words, where will it not be accepted that a paper
one would.

2for1 offers are valid only with rail tickets or paper travelcards
(with rail sign on it)

Ah, right. Perhaps because the venues concerned don't have Oyster
readers (to verify that you have a travelcard loaded).

Seems like quite a big glitch in the system.